Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Imperial Solo Advice

Rayek_ESO
Rayek_ESO
Soul Shriven
I am a solo player looking to play an Imperial with the hope of eventually soloing World Bosses and some Group Dungeons.

I've done a fair amount of research but some feels outdated so I'm here for up to date clarification.

I started an Imperial Stamblade but recently found out that while it can be done at end game it's probably one of the worst/complicated classes to solo with. While I'm not a min/maxer I am the type of person that it hangs in the back of my mind that I could be playing something just as fun that is better at solo play and stronger at what they do.

The other classes that interest me are:

1. Magplar
2. Stamplar

With my understanding of Imperials they aren't the optimal class for anything (especially Magplar).

The questions I have are:

1. Any Imperials that play any of the above 3 classes that can share their solo experiences?
2. Am I really hurting myself by choosing Imperial as a race? (feels disappointing that this is even a question i feel I have to ask)
3. I've done some research and Magplar seems to be high up on the solo list...does playing as an Imperial Magplar nerf that noticeably? Enough so that an Imperial Stamplar is a better option?

Thanks for any insight/info. I wish I wasn't so picky and it didn't nag me that I could be playing something more optimal but that's the way I'm built. Determined to stay Imperial and make it work...but trying to make the best of it.
Edited by Rayek_ESO on May 12, 2020 7:46AM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Imperial Stamplar should work really well, I have an Orc Stamplar and I can easily solo world bosses and normal dungeons with Ritual+Rally and Vigor in times of need.
    2. For magicka build Imperial is far from optimal because nothing helps your magicka based damage. For stamina builds is pretty close to Orc. You basically trade some weapon dmg for health which is not a bad trade-off for solo play.
    3. Magplar heals while doing dmg with jabs so you barely have to focus on self-healing as long as you deal dmg. If you want to play a solo Magplar I would pick Breton, lore-wise Breton is pretty much a mix of Altmer and Imperial. My problem with Magplar was that movement is really slow, with a Stamplar you dont have that issue.

Personally I would pick Stamplar (either Imperial or Orc) because its really strong, fun and relatively easy to play.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may find some useful info on soloing and solo builds here:

https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-builds-how-to-solo-play-elder-scrolls-online/

I know Dragonknight is not among your preferred classes, but I am having a lot of fun with my Imperial using my own modified version of this build:

https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-dragonknight-sb-and-bow-build-pve/
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to solo play you're not gonna miss the little bit of DPS that the more optimized races provide, the survivability you get from imperial will be much more valuable. I actually think imperial is on of if not the best race for solo PVE regardless of build. You get a little health, a little sustain for both resources, and a little Stam for more blocking or an extra roll or break free.

I have two imperials and two Templars, one of the Templars is an imperial tank with an emphasis on mag usage, the other a breton healer, the other imperial is a hybrid(ish) Stam sorc. based on my experience with those three character I think you'll be fine with an imperial Templar whether you go mag or Stam.
  • AngelaWasp
    AngelaWasp
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to solo play you're not gonna miss the little bit of DPS that the more optimized races provide, the survivability you get from imperial will be much more valuable. I actually think imperial is on of if not the best race for solo PVE regardless of build. You get a little health, a little sustain for both resources, and a little Stam for more blocking or an extra roll or break free.

I agree with this. Most of my characters are Imperials, actually I race changed a few to Imperial, I play tanks, healers and damage dealers with my Imperials and they're fine. My favourite is my Magplar. I play pve and pvp with them. I like their appearance, their survivability ^ and they're generally an all-round solid race imo. Good luck, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I like mine :smile:
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Wandering_Immigrant . Picking the optimal race is overrated unless you are truly trying to eek out another couple percent performance. I'm a soloist. I have six characters and all of them can solo most alliance zone WBs and almost half the alliance zone dungeons on normal. All six are Bosmer - three pure archers (Sorc, Templar, Warden) and three mages (Sorc, Templar, Warden). Specifically, I'm very pleased at how my Bosmer mages perform.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on May 12, 2020 11:29PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Rayek_ESO
    Rayek_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Appreciate the insight.

This is what I was hoping to hear.

It's tough to get invested in playing a character if you feel like you'll always be fighting an uphill battle, this puts my mind at ease.