Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Best place to stay for a master writ crafter?

Daemons_Bane
Daemons_Bane
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Title explains it all
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Title explains it all

No, it really doesn't. For example:
    • Are you really asking about master writs, or just crafting writs?
    • If it's master writs, do you have access to a guild house that has all the crafting tables?
    • If it's master writs, are you also looking to do regular crafting writs?
    • What's your criterion -- pure speed?
    • Do you have access to a banker assistant?
    • What do you do with the rewards you get from crafting writs? In particular, do you sell any on guild traders?

That said, most people find Vivec City to be the most efficient. Most people who don't feel that way either don't care about access to a full banker, do care about fast access to a stable, do care about fast access to a wayshrine, and/or really like the guild traders in some other city.

Some people also prefer another choice because it's comparable in speed and just has a nicer ambiance (e.g. Alinor).
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on April 30, 2020 9:31AM
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Title is confusing.

If you really do mean master writs, it's irrelevant as you need access to the relevant crafting stations. These are typically offered by guilds, so join one that offers all crafting stations in the game and you can craft your master writs all at the same location. For turning in completed writs, I like Wayrest, but I use the wayshrine just outside town to the East and ride the short distance to the master writ NPCs.

If you mean the best location for daily crafting writs, I used to do them in Vivec city. Crafting stations are all around the bank, no buildings to enter or exit, and writ turn-in is also very close.
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Title explains it all

It really doesn't. If you do explain what you mean, then we can help you.
    Edited by Bucky_13 on April 30, 2020 9:45AM
  • ultimnib16_ESO
    ultimnib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Foir daily writs quests Vivec city.
    For master writs a Guild house which has crafting stations for all sets
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Apparently crafting has changed a lot, so my apologies :smile: .. What I ask for, is the 6 craftable writs that I can do daily, and then deliver to a dropsite.. I have no merchant assistant, nor do I use a guild merchant/site
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Where ever is best (for you) to craft writs, to get the master writs...
    Master writs is about access to the right stations - so a home (guildhouse) with all of them

On PC a travel addon just make it even easier...
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    Master writs is about access to the right stations - so a home (guildhouse) with all of them

Travel addon?

Last time I played on a regular basis, Craglorn was the place to be
  • ultimnib16_ESO
    ultimnib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    As I said - for the 6 daily crafting quests (which are actually 7 with the jewelery) the best place imho is VIVEC CITY.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like Alinor for doing crafting writs. Everything is close together and the jewelry certifier is there.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • BRCOURTN
    BRCOURTN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do shadowfen because the mount trainer is so conveniently placed
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently crafting has changed a lot, so my apologies :smile: .. What I ask for, is the 6 craftable writs that I can do daily, and then deliver to a dropsite.. I have no merchant assistant, nor do I use a guild merchant/site

Vivec is the most popular, and probably the best as long as you're okay with the amount of players that are usually there.

I do mine mainly in Rimmen, the banker is sort of between the stations and drop site. Main reason I started doing them there was to steal from the crates at the drop off to get some furnishing plans for some extra gold. Stations are close enough to drop site that I don't mind the extra distance compared to Vivec.

Alinor is also really nice, but if you need bank access and don't have the assistant, it's worse. I do writs there on a few alts but not my main which sells things.

Stormhold & Rawl'ka are also okay, not as good as the ones above, but I do them there from time to time when I want some variation.

If you do it on multiple characters, then an efficient route becomes important. If you're just doing it on one or two chars, it's really not that important and as long as everything isn't too spread out, it'll work fine.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I craft at home every three days. I have 3 characters that do max level writs for all crafts. One of them is currently working on Undaunted, she logs out at the consumables board in Mournhold. Two of them have no skills under development and log out at the equipment board in Riften.

I have 3 other toons that are working on getting to max level in all crafts. The one that has riding training complete also logs out in Riften. The two that are finishing their riding are logged out at the equipment board in Vulkhel Guard.

My other twelve characters only do writs occasionally and are generally logged out next to the stable master in Daggerfall.
    Except for the character doing pledges, day one and two take five minutes or less per character. Day three takes about fifteen as I craft after completing that day's writs.

I find Riften to be almost as convenient as anywhere else and there are way fewer matriarchs and bears to get in the way.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I tend to like Alinor.

Most of my alts were created just to do writs so I can't be bothered with riding training, I bought each a set of cowards gear and used the Steed mundus stone on each.

Depending on how much of a pain it is to get the Ring of the Wild Hunt I might end up getting one for each of my alts.

Ideally I would like writ boards and turn in points that I could put in my house, that way I could line them up with the crafting stations and save a lot of time doing daily writs but doubt that will happen with them wanting the towns to look lived in.
    Edited by bmnoble on April 30, 2020 12:18PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It's 7 now, because of the jewelry craft. If you don't know about that, and you do have access to Summerset, then visit Alinor and get certified in jewelry. While you're there, you can check out one of the most popular choices for crafting city.

That said, Vivec City is the single most popular choice, including with me. Rawl'kha and Alinor are strong contenders. Mournhold, which other people like, is a poor choice for you because of how inconvenient the bank is. The Hollow City will be getting a jewelry crafting station soon, so if you love the place or the alchemy mats you can pick up there, it's a possibility. Shornhelm, which is the best in the DC and hence used to be the choice for many before One Tamriel, isn't really as good as some others.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other places are good or maybe a little better, but I like Rawl'ka. My Sleek Creek house is nearby and over the years I've gotten use to the layout of the bank, crafting stations, etc.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vivec works best for me even with bank assistants on PC/NA (can't afford them yet for EU). Been there almost 2 years now....
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »

Travel addon?

Last time I played on a regular basis, Craglorn was the place to be

I think part of the confusion is that you're saying 'master writs' meaning normal daily crafting quests where you've maxed out that craft and make rubidite/ancestor silk gear, but there are now items in the game which are called master writs and those work differently.

Once you get a craft to level 50 one of the possible rewards from the daily crafting quests is a master writ. These are more difficult than the daily quests because they require set items in a specific style and rarity with a trait, so you have to have the trait researched and know the motif, you need the upgrade components and most importantly you need to be able to get to the set crafting station. (They award master writ vouchers which can be used to buy rare and exclusive items, mainly furnishing plans but also motifs and crafting materials for rare items.)

Because they require set items it's useless to ask where's best to craft them, you have to go to the set crafting station and the only options are the ones in the open world or an attuned station in a house. (Which is usually a 'guild hall' because they're expensive to make so only really worth it when lots of players can share them.) If you're part of a guild with set crafting stations in their hall you go there, if not you go to the one/s in the open world, which is where travel addons come in.

The other big change is that daily crafting writs of any level can be turned in to any collection point, so you don't have to drop stuff off in Craglorn just because you've maxed out your crafts, or even somewhere in your alliance. You could go to Daggerfall, or Velyn Harbour, or any town with a drop-off point. That means there's many more options than there used to be.

That's where the questions in the first reply come in. Which town is best depends on your personal priorities. For example I really don't like using Vivec City because if I need to go into the cantons for any reason I'm going to get lost, so I end up avoiding anything which requires going there or going to a different city to do it. I prefer Alinor where all the crafting stations are close together and if I do need anything else I can find it easily. But Alinor only has an inn room and a manor, so someone who wants their home nearby and doesn't want to spend over 1 million gold (or stick with a tiny inn room) might think Alinor is out of the question and they prefer somewhere else.

There's no absolute right answer, it's basically personal preference. My advice is to look up which towns have crafting writ boards, try out ones which look appealing and pick your favourite.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personal opinion. If you have the banker - Alinor. Without the banker, since bank is in the middle of the stations - Vivec City.

Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Oathsworn - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    66,110 achievement points
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rawl'kha is still better than anywhere else. I looked at Greymoor, it looks like it'll be a really good spot too.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rimmen. I’m at the crafting board 1 minute before the wrist reset and all seven are done in the next 5-6 minutes. The provisioning and alchemy writs repeat often enough that you can make a bunch of them to carry around and you don’t event need to visit those stations every day.

The Wayshrine is central to the bank, stable, writ turn in and crafting stations and you can easily get to them all. Can be a pain with pets but I’m in and out so fast things are done before the tables get full plus I dismiss my own pet because my bear causes me way more problems than other people’s pets.
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While there are several locations that are decent, the open layout of Vivec city is definitely the fastest and most convenient. If you are just running a few crafters, extra seconds or even minutes wasted using the other zones is ok, but if you are running dozens of characters through daily writs, that lost time adds up. It’s around 2 minutes or less to completely cycle one character in Vivec City if you are capable of running the addons that automate much of the tasks and you have Rapid Maneuvers for your mount.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I keep my crafters in Summerset, quick travel to apartment there, and then head down to the hall. Mournhold and Vivec City are also pretty helpful with their layout.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rimmen. I’m at the crafting board 1 minute before the wrist reset and all seven are done in the next 5-6 minutes. The provisioning and alchemy writs repeat often enough that you can make a bunch of them to carry around and you don’t event need to visit those stations every day.

The Wayshrine is central to the bank, stable, writ turn in and crafting stations and you can easily get to them all. Can be a pain with pets but I’m in and out so fast things are done before the tables get full plus I dismiss my own pet because my bear causes me way more problems than other people’s pets.

Wow, I never thought of Rimmen before. I sort of steamrolled through Elsweyr without realizing that Rimmen's actually a good little town! Very insightful.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the crafting stations alone, Rimmen, Rawl'kha, Alinor, and Vivec City are the best choices. If you need the stable close by for daily training, then Rawl'kha is a little better then Vivec, and the others fall back. Full Bank does the same, as Rimmen and Alinor make you leave the crafting area for that.

When you add in Master Writs, a way shrine to get back there from Rolis becomes important, and Rawl'kha wins there.
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    Alinor is the best crafting location IMHO. I used to frequent Vivec City until I discovered Alinor. All stations in one building, Writ boards in the center of the room. Bonus for having the outfit station in there too (I despised going to the outfit station in Vivec). Delivery is just around the corner. Bank and Wayshrine is just up the stairs. You also have an option of two homes within swift walking distance and if you pick the inn, you’ve got rider training right outside your door on your way to the bank and crafting area. It’s the perfect spot. Crafter’s paradise, honestly. Alinor FTW!
    Edited by thedavidventer on May 1, 2020 3:21PM
    David Venter - Digital Creator, macOS Gamer, Graphic Designer, Music Producer
    Official Website | Facebook (Page) | Facebook (Profile) | Instagram | Twitter | Other Links
  • SoftcoverGore47
    I like Rawl'kha in Reapers March. Its a small, contained area. All the crafting stations are outside, so no load screens, except for the bank. Wayshrine is right next to the bank, and very close to entrance to thieves guild. If you have a bounty you can easily get from the wayshrine to the back entrance to the thieves guild, which is also right outside the back door of the house you can buy there. Theres 5 decent guild traders, everything a crafter could want, and not too crowded. And very little in the way of dueling.
    XBX1 NA
    MAG DK
    CP 810
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When travelling my master crafter stays in the mangers which are found near most Inns, they are cheaper and if you don't mind horse manure mixed in with the hay very comfortable.