The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Only Play For One Faction

DTAmoral
DTAmoral
✭✭✭✭
I might be alone in thinking this as I have all red characters, but why wouldn't you only play for 1 faction. What is the point of playing for each team? "My friends play on Yellow". Then when the time comes purchase the Alliance Change Token and go. The alliance lock is my favorite part of Grey Host. Be a red play for red. Be a blue play for blue. Be a yellow play for yellow.

I guess I am just a simple person
Edited by DTAmoral on April 29, 2020 5:40PM
Xbox NA - EP
Team Rocket's Finest Support
We are recruiting! Use below link for recruitment!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/577520/team-rocket-ebonheart-pvp-guild#latest
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might be alone in thinking this as I have all red characters, but why wouldn't you only play for 1 faction. What is the point of playing for each team? "My friends play on Yellow". Then when the time comes purchase the Alliance Change Token and go. The alliance lock is my favorite part of Grey Host. Be a red play for red. Be a blue play for blue. Be a yellow play for yellow.

I guess I am just a simple person

This was debated endlessly after they reintroduced faction locks. The short answer is some people just like to play different factions. For others it's a role play thing. Their character is loyal to whatever faction they are in, not the player. Others have a bunch of friends all playing on different sides and switch depending on who they play with, some like to switch to which ever side is losing so they can get better fights, ect, ect...
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The same could be asked of you.
    Why would you only play 1 faction? What's the point of choosing just one alliance to play all of your character as? Why assign the faction you yourself as a real person rather than to your in-game characters?

Neither choice makes more or less sense than the other.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also there's the issue that some people don't have the Any Race, Any Alliance upgrade. Because of that, there's people that are just there to get their vigor and caltrops and can't go into the busiest server to get it ASAP.
  • DTAmoral
    DTAmoral
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raisin wrote: »
    Why assign the faction you yourself as a real person rather than to your in-game characters?

That's a good point. I guess I never thought to see characters as their own people. Probably because most people that I see talking and complaining about alliance lock, or complaining about not being able to play with certain people are not role players, but average Joe's.

Those players are the ones I should be asking. IF you do RP your character for a faction I understand.
    Xbox NA - EP
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/577520/team-rocket-ebonheart-pvp-guild#latest
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm red and 95% of the map is red, that's not fun. I'd rather go find some outnumbered fights on one of the less populated factions. But i guess some people just like zerging down and gating other factions.
  • SmukkeHeks
    SmukkeHeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m Aldmeri Dominion. My favorite race are bosmer. I’ve just lost my heart to those little weirdos. It’s a love affair that started in Oblivion and only grew stronger.
    I don’t have any toons in other alliances, due to my soft spot and .. well, I would never fight a mans war. (✊🏻)

But I have never joined a zerg or ballgroup. I get zero satisfaction from running like a headless chicken following some (I imagine) loudmouth stardom-hungry-wannabe-online-soldier’s crown on screen.

I’m surely not the only one.
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Raisin wrote: »
    The same could be asked of you.
    Why would you only play 1 faction? What's the point of choosing just one alliance to play all of your character as? Why assign the faction you yourself as a real person rather than to your in-game characters?

Neither choice makes more or less sense than the other.

Personally because i find kinda pointless to pvp for all 3 alliances. Doesn't make much sense to me to take one keep as AD, for instance, then switch to DC and take it back.
    Also because it makes things more interesting and you either win or lose, while having characters on all 3 alliances means that there will be always some of them winning the campaign no matter what (not that i care much about winning, but there's that)

The only logical reason i can find to pvp for all 3 factions is to be able to pvp with other people. Not my case since i like to play solo though.
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    x48rph wrote: »

Their character is loyal to whatever faction they are in, not the player. .

I love people with this mindset. It's like the guy with 3 girlfriends who is loyal to whichever one he happens to be with at the time.

• DTAmoral
    DTAmoral
    ✭✭✭✭
    AMeanOne wrote: »
    But i guess some people just like zerging down and gating other factions.

"It is what it is" I assume we are talking about the main camp, that is not always gated, and its usually weird times if they are. If you are gated play around your gated keeps idc. I just feel you should only play for the 1 faction. You chose to be Yellow therefor you get gated, and you and the others yellows need to figure out what to do, or "get over it". You shouldnt be able to choose sides when you feel oppressed, get stepped on, or rise up, but do it all under 1 faction
    Xbox NA - EP
  • Ezorus
    Ezorus
    ✭✭✭
    The token is a terrible terrible idea, now people will just flock to whichever is doing better. There's no faction pride like there is in World Of Warcraft. Thanks to no open world pvp
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's a good point. I guess I never thought to see characters as their own people.

I'm the opposite. I never think of "me" playing; it's Hisa Ni, or Mol ..... or .....
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    x48rph wrote: »

Their character is loyal to whatever faction they are in, not the player. .
    Ranger209 wrote: »
    I love people with this mindset. It's like the guy with 3 girlfriends who is loyal to whichever one he happens to be with at the time.

You still don't seem to be getting it.

"I" as a person, play a game called Elder Scrolls. But "I" as a person don't do anything in the actual game.

Mol gro Durga rescued his friend from Cold Harbor. He is married and loyal to his beloved.

Hisa Ni honed her skills so that she could learn to create Fabricant Trees. She is single, but devoted to her extended familiy; and politely cordial to her Dunmer sister-in-law.

If your theoretical "guy" was "dating" by playing an online game such as second life, then the situations would be similar.

Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    on the NA server I have 4 DC, 3 EP, 3 AD...

I started the first three characters (DC then EP then AD) because in 2015 if you wanted a taste of all 3 alliances without having to finish the main storyline - you needed a toon in each alliance...

back then, you couldn't put them in the same campaign...

I've fought for each alliance on that server for 5 years now...

I don't participate in chat or group up unless I'm in IC...

I'm loyal to the characters, cyro is the only place in tamriel where I actually role play...

fight to win with all of them...I'll leave one faction in the main campaign for a few months and then rotate alliance and toons to fight with...

started more toons over on the EU server during the summerset event...

I kind of liked starting over and found the EU server to be filled with a lot more friendly and polite...at least from my experience...

right now have 5 DC and 1 EP, 1 AD (my two necros)...

really regret now putting them in EP and AD...as soon as I can I'll use the alliance change token on them...for this server I do just want to fight for one alliance - the covenant...

I type like crazy in zone chat there...cuz I only fight for blue...
    Edited by geonsocal on May 2, 2020 3:55AM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMeanOne wrote: »
    But i guess some people just like zerging down and gating other factions.

"It is what it is" I assume we are talking about the main camp, that is not always gated, and its usually weird times if they are. If you are gated play around your gated keeps idc. I just feel you should only play for the 1 faction. You chose to be Yellow therefor you get gated, and you and the others yellows need to figure out what to do, or "get over it". You shouldnt be able to choose sides when you feel oppressed, get stepped on, or rise up, but do it all under 1 faction

I don't care if my faction is gated. I'm talking about the reverse. If the faction I'm on is overpopulated and doing the gating that is extremely boring, they zerg down every small fight on the map and make the other alliances 2 bars of population go down to 1. All while there's a queue in my faction.
    Edited by AMeanOne on May 2, 2020 11:24PM
  • Cerotonin
    Cerotonin
    ✭✭✭
    Some people make friends on the other alliances. They don’t want to grind the same character over again, it’s tedious and not even enjoyable. Why argue against it? Just because some people hold cringe-loyalty for their faction doesn’t mean others have to.
  • Joelthas
    Joelthas
    ✭✭
    Alliance locked cyro is the best thing that happened in Eso. Hope it will stay for long.