The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you not get master writs on more than one toon?

Veinblood1965
Veinblood1965
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi all I have a second toon that is now leveled up in crafting, he's has all his skill points in blacksmithing, jewelry and woodworking yet he never receives any master writs, he's been maxed for about two months now. My main toon gets them but he never gets a one. Do I have to put skill points into EVERY option under the skill trees to get master writs or?
Edited by Veinblood1965 on April 30, 2020 3:56PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you're doing the max level dailies to qualify for a chance at master writs, @Veinblood1965, which is the minimum needed.

After that, there are several positive modifiers to increase your master writ chances:

1. Achievements - Achievements definitely help especially with consumables master writ drops. Some simple things like making sure all your alchemy reagent traits are learned (Botanist & Toxicology achieves) can boost master writ chances. Even Master Crafters can easily miss achievements.

2. Motif Knowledge - Motif knowledge is by character ... and it is also a positive modifier for master writ drops. Note that it is only based on FULL purple and gold motifs known (all 14 pages) and not aggregated individual motif pages. Blue motifs (the basic racial motifs, Orc, Breton, Nord, etc.) don't count and neither do Crown Store exclusive motifs. Start off with the easy purple ones that only drop in a full book: Ancient Orc, Primal, Barbaric, and Daedric.

3. Trait Research - Trait Research is also a factor in master writ drops. An 8-trait crafter has a better modifier than a 3-trait crafter, for example.

4. Consumables - Since provisioning, alchemy, and enchanting don't have related motifs or trait research, there are other factors. Achievements (mentioned above) is one. For provisioning, total purple and gold recipes known is a factor for provisioning master writ drops. Enchanting is similar ... just have all the rune traits cleared and achievements done.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Taleof2Cities on April 30, 2020 5:18PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all I have a second toon that is now leveled up in crafting, he's has all his skill points in blacksmithing, jewelry and woodworking yet he never receives any master writs,

Just to make sure, you have Maxed the Material Passives in each of the Crafts?

If you have, Achievements, Motif and Recipe Knowledge will help as noted above
    Edited by Nestor on April 30, 2020 5:21PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone, that is the problem. I only leveled up the crafting on the new toon, no Achievements, Motifs or Recipe Knowledge other than what was needed to level and daily writs.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone, that is the problem. I only leveled up the crafting on the new toon, no Achievements, Motifs or Recipe Knowledge other than what was needed to level and daily writs.

You should still get some. My testing shows that it's closer to a 5% drop rate (rather than upwards of 15% with full "knowledge" in the appropriate craft). Most of my characters on my alt account only have basic motif knowledge and trait research done for BS/WW/Cloth and I have a 5-6% drop rate on them
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you keep your Master Writs in a Storage chest, and completely fill it, then your alt crafters will get more of them, because you have nowhere left to put them. Or at least, that's what happened to me when my whole crew was doing daily crafting at max rank during the anniversary event. RNG knows what you need, and what you already have too many of, and has a mean streak.
    Edited by ghastley on May 1, 2020 2:06PM
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    If you keep your Master Writs in a Storage chest, and completely fill it, then your alt crafters will get more of them, because you have nowhere left to put them. Or at least, that's what happened to me when my whole crew was doing daily crafting at max rank during the anniversary event. RNG knows what you need, and what you already have too many of, and has a mean streak.

I believe that with other RNG items I've ran into that's for sure.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

You should still get some. My testing shows that it's closer to a 5% drop rate (rather than upwards of 15% with full "knowledge" in the appropriate craft). Most of my characters on my alt account only have basic motif knowledge and trait research done for BS/WW/Cloth and I have a 5-6% drop rate on them

I'm going to, appreciate the advice.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have almost too many of them now, mostly because of the anniversary event. I stumble on achievements on all my characters, but only usually seek them on my main.

I say "too many" because it takes time and a fair bit of effort to make them all (on the PS4) and I have done it a couple of times recently.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »

LOL mhmm. same with the crows. always want what i dont have a ton of.