The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magcros and Mothers Sorrow

JackSmirkingRevenge
Afternoon everyone,
I had a question related to Magcros and MS. Alot of the build guides have FG + MS or some variation of MS as a part of the build. What is the reason behind that? With Death Knell and NOT using mothers sorrow you can be near 100% in execute, wouldn't you get more value running a different set like SS for pure ST or even something like scathing mage?

Thanks for the input
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mothers Sorrow on Magcro is less universal then on other classes, but it is still the best set for lot of fights. The actually better sets (Siroria, Spellstrat, New Moon) are mostly situational, so adjusting the crit otherwise and wearing Mother Sorrow is viable in a lot of content.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • JackSmirkingRevenge
    FakeFox wrote: »
    Mothers Sorrow on Magcro is less universal then on other classes, but it is still the best set for lot of fights. The actually better sets (Siroria, Spellstrat, New Moon) are mostly situational, so adjusting the crit otherwise and wearing Mother Sorrow is viable in a lot of content.

So what makes it the best set? Just wanting to understand how it interacts with the death knell passive. Is it because having the extra percent crit from MS in non exeucte, and moving grave lord abilities to the back bar with shadow mundus will provide higher overall dps than say front barring one of the sets listed above or another set?
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So what makes it the best set? Just wanting to understand how it interacts with the death knell passive. Is it because having the extra percent crit from MS in non exeucte, and moving grave lord abilities to the back bar with shadow mundus will provide higher overall dps than say front barring one of the sets listed above or another set?

Partially giving up your other crit sources (Death Knell and Precise) to gain other things (Magies Guild Passives, Infused Enchant etc.) with Mother Sorrow is often better then stacking Death Knell with other sets. More consistent crit plays a role in that as well, but I think it comes more down to MS being so much stronger then most comparable sets.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it comes more down to MS being so much stronger then most comparable sets.

Which speaks to the weakness and banality of magDPS sets in general, that we're using a base game set whose Stamina equivalent set has been obsolete for years.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it comes more down to MS being so much stronger then most comparable sets.

Which speaks to the weakness and banality of magDPS sets in general, that we're using a base game set whose Stamina equivalent set has been obsolete for years.

This
  • JackSmirkingRevenge
    Ok so I put on false gods for the first time tonight and tried to pair it with MS...no way...I was at 70 percent crit W/O raid buffs. Monster helm was llambris so I didn't have any extra crit from that.

Im just gonna run spell strat for ST and scathing mage on my front bar for AoE for now so I don't over crit cap
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’re correct. Siroria + Sorrow and Spell Strat + False Gods both outperform False Gods + Sorrow on Magcro when they can be used. The problem is that some fights require cleave or swapping targets (Spell Strat fails), or movement (Siroria fails). So Sorrow + False Gods is the easy 1-setup solution, typically with Infused front bar (although this is nearly as much of a cleave loss as running Spell Strat, but at least allows switching targets quickly). My preference is to only slot skills on front bar if they provide some passive (so Grave Lord and Mages Guild only, front bar Orb has never given good results in my testing).

It’s not a bad idea to end up at 110% crit in execute, since Blastbones and Arcanist have a bug where their crit chance is 10% lower. This is fixed on PTS, so with Greymoor you will want to shoot for close to 100% execute front bar, and then shift the remaining Grave Lord skills back bar to get as close to 100% there as well.
  • JackSmirkingRevenge
    You’re correct. Siroria + Sorrow and Spell Strat + False Gods both outperform False Gods + Sorrow on Magcro when they can be used. The problem is that some fights require cleave or swapping targets (Spell Strat fails), or movement (Siroria fails). So Sorrow + False Gods is the easy 1-setup solution, typically with Infused front bar (although this is nearly as much of a cleave loss as running Spell Strat, but at least allows switching targets quickly). My preference is to only slot skills on front bar if they provide some passive (so Grave Lord and Mages Guild only, front bar Orb has never given good results in my testing).

It’s not a bad idea to end up at 110% crit in execute, since Blastbones and Arcanist have a bug where their crit chance is 10% lower. This is fixed on PTS, so with Greymoor you will want to shoot for close to 100% execute front bar, and then shift the remaining Grave Lord skills back bar to get as close to 100% there as well.

Thanks for that explanation. What about running something like scathing mage or BSW (if I can get an inferno staff) or Ele Succession FB for cleve situations instead of MS.
  • JackSmirkingRevenge
    Or even NMA? I know the spell pen may go over cap a bit, but the bonuses plus negating the cost with FG
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve heard mixed results from Ele Succession and I don’t have the Inferno to test myself. It does seem like a pretty good set for cleave on Magcro. It won’t beat Spell Strat for single target because it doesn’t buff Orb.

Scathing uptimes always end up very low when I try it, and it has 2 crit bonuses you may not want.

BSW seems almost forgotten, but I think it’s actually still pretty competitive. IIRC the top Magcro DPS on Yolnahkriin for Dragonhold patch was using BSW.

I don’t particularly like NMA on Magcro because as you pointed out the Spell Pen 4pc is usually wasted. The increased ult cost is bad for Colossus uptimes (although you can get around this with front bar NMA and ult on back bar). It’s also a little tough to sustain unless the group is fully optimized for mag return, in which case they probably have Alkosh, Crusher and Breach so back to the wasted Spell Pen point.
  • JackSmirkingRevenge
    I’ve heard mixed results from Ele Succession and I don’t have the Inferno to test myself. It does seem like a pretty good set for cleave on Magcro. It won’t beat Spell Strat for single target because it doesn’t buff Orb.

Scathing uptimes always end up very low when I try it, and it has 2 crit bonuses you may not want.

BSW seems almost forgotten, but I think it’s actually still pretty competitive. IIRC the top Magcro DPS on Yolnahkriin for Dragonhold patch was using BSW.

I don’t particularly like NMA on Magcro because as you pointed out the Spell Pen 4pc is usually wasted. The increased ult cost is bad for Colossus uptimes (although you can get around this with front bar NMA and ult on back bar). It’s also a little tough to sustain unless the group is fully optimized for mag return, in which case they probably have Alkosh, Crusher and Breach so back to the wasted Spell Pen point.

Thanks for that breakdown, really appreciate it. I have just been smashing my head trying to figure out a way to best set up my magcro. Its a little buggy that's for sure but I enjoy playing it the most. I just cant find a set-up I like. I am honestly leaning towards scathing mage, I have had decent uptime results on it actually in limited testing so I will probably go with that on cleve/trash and stick with SS for ST.

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so I put on false gods for the first time tonight and tried to pair it with MS...no way...I was at 70 percent crit W/O raid buffs. Monster helm was llambris so I didn't have any extra crit from that.

Im just gonna run spell strat for ST and scathing mage on my front bar for AoE for now so I don't over crit cap

Did you drop precise for infused?
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are using MS on a magcro you should use nirnhoned or infused. Better crit for dealing with adds and the first 75% (because MS offers a lot of crit) and then still enough that you will hit 💯 with death knell during execute.

Infused will give better burning uptime and nirnhoned gives better raw damage to all attacks. Front bar only obviously but the idea is that the crit stack is universally high damage and you can give up precise because of necro passives.

Edit: more details
    Edited by IonicKai on April 29, 2020 2:50PM
  • JackSmirkingRevenge
    Danksta wrote: »

Yes infused, I just don't see the benefit of having to balance all that crit and move it around with death knell when I can run a different front bar set and still be at 100% crit in exeucte. Im going to run SS and maybe scathing mage FB until I get a BSW staff...if that ever happens lol
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes infused, I just don't see the benefit of having to balance all that crit and move it around with death knell when I can run a different front bar set and still be at 100% crit in exeucte. Im going to run SS and maybe scathing mage FB until I get a BSW staff...if that ever happens lol

That's strange. I'm just under 70% with major and minor prophecy with that setup.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IonicKai wrote: »
    If you are using MS on a magcro you should use nirnhoned or infused. Better crit for dealing with adds and the first 75% (because MS offers a lot of crit) and then still enough that you will hit 💯 with death knell during execute.

Infused will give better burning uptime and nirnhoned gives better raw damage to all attacks. Front bar only obviously but the idea is that the crit stack is universally high damage and you can give up precise because of necro passives.

Edit: more details

I know Nirnhoned became popular on Magcro for a while if cleave is needed, but I don’t think the math works out. Nirn is like 3% damage increase, while Precise is 4.5-5%. So even if Precise ends up doing nothing (because you’re over 100% crit) for the last 25% of a fight it still averages more DPS overall.
  • JackSmirkingRevenge
    Guys, while were throwing things around
    What are your thoughts on Caluurions legacy as a FB set? Does blastbones/Skull/and arcanist count as single target abilities?

Anyone tried it out?
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What are your thoughts on Caluurions legacy as a FB set? Does blastbones/Skull/and arcanist count as single target abilities?

Anyone tried it out?

Skull is except every third cast, the others are aoe. For PvE I wouldn't run Caluurion on any class.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Bpryr_125
    Bpryr_125
    . Tagging for research
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone tried it out?

Skull is except every third cast, the others are aoe. For PvE I wouldn't run Caluurion on any class.

It also ought to be noted that blastbones and the skeletal arcanist don't proc anything set wise, as they are pets.
  • JackSmirkingRevenge
    I appreciate everyones feedback so far.

Im getting the best results with false gods body, SS front bar on pure single target, and scathing mage is actually preforming well for me, decent uptime for cleve/aoe. I am sure another set can possibly preform better on the FB but I have the flame staff and jewelry already so I will probably stick with it.

MS front bar isn't really doing much for me, just feel like its making me move abilities around but I am not really parsing any higher with it.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Totally agree. But I do find myself running the FG + Spell Strat on my MagDK and Siroria + MS on my MagSorc more often than the FG + MS meta. Not that FG+ MS is bad (its not) its just those setups work with my playstyle and those builds much more effectively
  • Tyrthax
    Tyrthax

At first I was like “What stam equivalent?” And then I remembered Leviathan lol.
    Purveyor of Khajiiti stuff.
    Healer, Tank, DPS.
    Master Crafter
    Lord No-Touchie.
  • JackSmirkingRevenge
    So if I were to run elemental sucession, would I be better off running it on the front bar vs false gods on the front bar, or should I run ele succession on the body and try and get a FG inferno staff to front bar