The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

at what CP are you competitive in Cyrodiil?

Leukedonia
Hello.
This might have been asked already but found no answer from searching.

I know they say at CP 300 you can start looking into doing vet dungeons.
Similarly, at what CP are you considered competitive in CP-enabled Cyrodiil for PvP?

I've been to No-CP Cyrodiil and it was empty. I was pretty disappointed tbh.
Haven't really been to Imperial city but i heard its dead too?

Currently at 210 CP.
Obtained most of my PvP gear (just need one more item)
I've been practicing PvP at BGs alot although i got a long way to go.
I want to start transitioning to Cyrodiil for the real deal :)

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Player skill trumps CP any day of the week.

To put things into perspective, my self and others I know have multiple accounts and some of us play on both EU and NA. We have told stories of being in a random dungeon group at or under CP160 as the healer in the group and out DPSing the CP capped damage dealers in the group by a large margin.

Bring that into PvP and the ability to be aware of one's surroundings while in combat to avoid and mitigate incoming damage makes a huge difference between survival and respawning at a nearby keep. Much of the complaints in the forums about specific skills and even classes is due to player skill level, not what they are complaining about.

I would suggest new players find a decent PvP guild where the PvP for both advice and raid leaders that hopefully know how to lead. It is much more fun to deal with actual PvP combat with small groups vs large zergs. You will learn more and faster. Also, experiment playing solo.
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leukedonia wrote: »
    Hello.

Similarly, at what CP are you considered competitive in CP-enabled Cyrodiil for PvP?

Currently at 210 CP.

I wish you could have experienced Cyro back when it used to work, now it's a complete mess.

Anyway, high CP helps of course but the key is to know what you are doing, so don't worry too much on leveling up fast and focus on learning how to PvP.
    You'll need to learn how every class (both magicka and stamina) plays, their skills, passives, combos, etc and also you'll need to get used to your characters. Not only that, over the time you will need to make several changes to your builds because your playstyle will be constantly changing as well till you finally find something that you are comfortable with.
    Best way to start in PvP is to join a guild (make sure it's a decent one) and learn from them by doing raids and stuff, but don't get too used to them, because if you really wanna go for the real deal then you'll want to learn how to solo pvp.
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello.

Currently at 210 CP.

Unfortunately I always tell people to wait as long as possible to go into cp PVP. You are always handicapping yourself when you go there just off missing stats. You get bonus health stam and magic for being 810, you get resistances and more sustain and more damage just for being there.

Like the person above said you can have more player skill than an 810 but this is exactly why I'm against cp in general. Just because you are a low cp it shouldn't make you at a disadvantage in PVP (unless you are in low level PVP but then you only face other low levels).

Best advice I would say is if you really want to go there either join a zerg and stay close to them or grind cp to give you more breathing room.
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello.

Currently at 210 CP.

Unfortunately I always tell people to wait as long as possible to go into cp PVP. You are always handicapping yourself when you go there just off missing stats. You get bonus health stam and magic for being 810, you get resistances and more sustain and more damage just for being there.

Like the person above said you can have more player skill than an 810 but this is exactly why I'm against cp in general. Just because you are a low cp it shouldn't make you at a disadvantage in PVP (unless you are in low level PVP but then you only face other low levels).

Best advice I would say is if you really want to go there either join a zerg and stay close to them or grind cp to give you more breathing room.

"Just because you are a low cp it shouldn't make you at a disadvantage in PVP"

You know that exist several no-cp gamemodes where everyone is the same?

If you play a CP campaign when you are under 810cp (Under 700 if you are skilled) it is just your own fault and cannot complain, and as I said there are alternatives when cp won't matter.
  • o4m
    o4m
    ✭✭✭
    CP are quiet relative in AvAvA:

If you can anticipate, knowing strategy and can use up to three balistas - or you are just healer -, you are able go top 10.
    CP160+ Ohm - Templar, ex-emp

*Anti-Troll*
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To be competitive maybe 600 CPs? I’m not really sure.

Have you finished doing all the skill lines and stuff?

I think doing pvp is best played as endgame. I went:

CP160-300: Pure pve
    301-600: mix and PvE and PvP in no-CP
    601-809: all no-CP pvp
    810: CP pvp

Each step teaches something too. PvE taught animation cancelling and light attack weaving. No-CP teaches positioning, anticipating damage, and doing a burst combo. By 810 you want to have that stuff down, large groups are good for cp but you could miss out on basics.

I made the mistake once of going into CP pvp at low CPs once, maybe at around your CP level or around 200. I found someone farming mobs on the bridge going to the city for some weird reason. Tried ganking them, and they completely ignored me for 10 seconds. When the person started finding me irritating, they turned around and bursted me in 2 seconds. It was a valuable lesson.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 27, 2020 10:48AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Each step teaches something too. PvE taught animation cancelling and light attack weaving. No-CP teaches positioning, anticipating damage, and doing a burst combo. By 810 you want to have that stuff down, large groups are good for cp but you could miss out on basics.

I made the mistake once of going into CP pvp at low CPs once, maybe at around your CP level or around 200. I found someone farming mobs on the bridge going to the city for some weird reason. Tried ganking them, and they completely ignored me for 10 seconds. When the person started finding me irritating, they turned around and bursted me in 2 seconds. It was a valuable lesson.

Exactly, the game has a natural progression.

And if people don't like cp pvp, they should go no-cp and don't complain.

People say it is more skill based on no-cp, but i find pure rng proc set fiesta, people in no-cp is carried by proc damage sets which add damage for free, see calurion and company.

I play both personally, because they are different.

I personally wanna find that playing no-cp in somewhat low sustain really help you managing your resource a lot, and once you go into cp you will find it wayyy easier and helpful.

I think at 600cp you start being somewhat competitive, at 700 maybe you have maybe a 3% difference from a 810cp guy, but yeah i would play cp pvp only when you are max.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    you only really start to notice any difference around 600cp but even then all depends on who your fighting a good player is a good player regardless
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GRXRG wrote: »
    Hello.

Currently at 210 CP.

If you play a CP campaign when you are under 810cp (Under 700 if you are skilled) it is just your own fault and cannot complain, and as I said there are alternatives when cp won't matter.

Ya except it depends on what platform they play on (PS4 na for example became a farm spot for people swapping toons because they unlocked it so more people left) so if they play there no cp is not even an option as it is a dead campaign (even though people said it would be better unlocked and it went from healthy fun spot to dead). So their only option might be cp (if you read what they said, they stated non cp was dead they weren't trying to go there but being forced into cp)

People say it is more skill based on no-cp, but i find pure rng proc set fiesta, people in no-cp is carried by proc damage sets which add damage for free, see calurion and company.

I personally wanna find that playing no-cp in somewhat low sustain really help you managing your resource a lot, and once you go into cp you will find it wayyy easier and helpful.

I think at 600cp you start being somewhat competitive, at 700 maybe you have maybe a 3% difference from a 810cp guy, but yeah i would play cp pvp only when you are max.

Lastly just a FYI only bad players rely on proc sets in non cp. (Outside of the same ones used in CP like monster sets, fury, ECT). I barely find good players running those proc sets people complain about and I use to play exclusively no cp. Most players run raw damage/stat boosting sets.
  • Leukedonia
    Thank you for replying everyone.

@Vietfox said Cyrodiil is a mess right now.

What are some specific issues?
    I heard it's a lag fest.

is there anything else?
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hello.

Currently at 210 CP.

Ya except it depends on what platform they play on (PS4 na for example became a farm spot for people swapping toons because they unlocked it so more people left) so if they play there no cp is not even an option as it is a dead campaign (even though people said it would be better unlocked and it went from healthy fun spot to dead). So their only option might be cp (if you read what they said, they stated non cp was dead they weren't trying to go there but being forced into cp)

Lastly just a FYI only bad players rely on proc sets in non cp. (Outside of the same ones used in CP like monster sets, fury, ECT). I barely find good players running those proc sets people complain about and I use to play exclusively no cp. Most players run raw damage/stat boosting sets.

That’s just not true. It depends what class you are.

If you’re stam, a magsorc, or a magtemplar there’s no need for proc sets. I use Zaan as a MagDK and magwarden, and caluurion as a magblade.

If you’re one of the weaker classes then they use proc sets a lot. It’s just part of the current balance of the game: if you have a complete toolkit then there’s no need for proc sets, if you don’t then why not.

People are going to use what’s most effective, balance is near an all time low so proc sets make some classes more effective. I don’t wear proc sets on some classes because they’d make me weaker. Blood spawn is a proc set btw.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 27, 2020 3:37PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Beaverton
    Beaverton
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what you mean by competitive. You can contribute to a group at any CP level (stuns, snares, buffs, debuffs) as long as you have survivability. (No one wants to group with someone prone to VD procs.) Maybe build for survivability and support until you can build up your experience and CP. Transition to damage and/or healing as you become comfortable. Situational awareness is the biggest defensive buff of all. Bottom line is, if you are doing well in battlegrounds, you probably have enough skill and awareness to do alright in Greyhost regardless of CP. Just jump in but not into a 1vX. And everyone dies.
    Chook (fill in the blank) or Chookana (likewise): I learn more by dying so teach me some more!
  • Q_Q
    Q_Q
    ✭✭✭
    If you know what you’re doing you can be competitive with like 300 cp. I’ve seen people on prob their third account never lose health on a warden or necro (not surprising as the paid classes get the best buffs/debuffs) but my point stands.

The earlier you get in Cyrodiil and start practicing (especially 1vx) the better you will be by the time you have max cp.
    Edited by Q_Q on April 27, 2020 6:05PM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    those champion points play a really big part in your resistances and ability to execute folks...

I play on both servers, cp810 on one, I'm st cp450 on the other...

I'd say you can start holding your own a bit around cp400...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Relladen
    Relladen
    ✭✭
    Depends entirely on your competition. With the right build and execution, you can definitely win against lower-skill 810 players. But once you start going up against better players (assuming at least equal skill to you), the difference in CP becomes insurmountable.
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other day I took my bow/bow stam sorc out to open world , came across a cp 400 something and they didn’t stand a chance. That setup is probably the hardest setup to run in the game, especially trying to solo. It’s not like I didn’t kill 810’s but the 400 I didn’t even get serious with.

It’s not to say you can’t compete because you can if you know what you’re doing (I’ve leveled second accounts) but if you don’t know what you’re doing it’s going to be really rough against anyone that knows how to play. If you intend on playing in groups then I don’t think it matters as much.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally hate CP-PvP and always have. I've been max for a long time now but would take no cp over CP any day. Also makes it easier to transition between Cyro and BGs... and IMO that is helpful, since I strongly suggest you spend a lot of time in BGs first to learn your class and build, as the rapid and small conflicts are easier to learn about ESO's pvp than the nature of Cyrodil's action, I think.
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am less than 600 CP at the moment, 570 or so, and find it fun. I PvP everyday, and have very little desire to PvE, so it is a slow grind getting my CP up. I am probably medium good at PvP, and can do well solo, small group, or in zergs. I just have to be mindful that someone as good as I am or better, with 810 CP, will have an advantage. There are great PvP'ers that I just accept at this time will destroy me. I don't shy from them, because even getting beat can teach you something if you are willing to learn. ZOS provides a nice recap of what killed you. Learn from it.
    The thing with solo'ing is to pick your battles. If you are in a group, large are small, you are there to help one another (hopefully) so assist the better players with higher CP. Learn your skills with lower CP and imagine how well you will do when you get to 810.
    Finally, there is absolutely no shame in getting beat and having to res at a keep. Everyone does. I have been t-bagged more times than I can count, grave dug, and danced on. 9 times out of 10 I am looking at the map seeing where I want to res, so it does not matter to me at all. When I am solo, I gank people, and I have been ganked plenty of times.

The thing I had to come to terms with in PvP is the acceptance that you can't win them all. The better players will boast and act as if they do, but I watch them get dropped all the time, even targeted because of them being so good.

All of that to say don't shy away from it. You won't lose anything. Accept that you are lower CP, and have fun. No pressure, 810s can hardly brag that they killed a 400. BUT....if YOU happen to get the killing blow...lol. ;)
    "Krist the Lionheart? No. Lionheart was my dog" -Krist
    "Darling, if looks were everything, I would be king of the world" -Luke
    "That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the correct answer is: depends on your class and skill.

jab-spamming templars can be effective starting CP160, while all purple med-armor stamDK burst build might wanna wait until around CP600.... or if ur playing heals, with the right skill, even <50 can be effective.
    Thank you for replying everyone.

@Vietfox said Cyrodiil is a mess right now.

What are some specific issues?
    I heard it's a lag fest.

is there anything else?

that's about it. everything else is minor and u can still have fun.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Truewavesound
    Truewavesound
    ✭✭✭
    Nil.

CP pvp can FRO
  • JayKwellen
    JayKwellen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TL;DR - Go for it whenever, now even. You'll probably struggle and it will be frustrating at times but you can learn from it, become better from it, and most importantly, you can still have tons of fun.

Like everyone else has pretty much said - it depends. It also depends on what you mean by "competitive" too.

If you just mean useful then honestly you could go at anytime (although preferably after you're 160 and have a full PvP set so you don't get instantly killed by anyone who looks your way). Even at low CP you can still heal, you can still operate siege, you can still res teammates, you can still make useful call outs in zone or to your group, and you can generally improve your group and alliances chances of success.

If by competitive you're talking about small-scale, 1v1, 1vX type of stuff...maybe, but really no. CP isn't the end all be all, and I've seen skilled players around the 200-300 level give 810's good fights, and tear up 810's who were new to PvP and less skilled, PvErs, etc., but this is extremely extremely unlikely.

CP still gives you numerous advantages, so against an equally skilled player you're starting from a position of weakness. An 810 will have much more passive damage mitigation, higher damage output, higher critical damage, higher healing, better regen, and cheaper blocking and dodging.

Not all is lost though. I went to CP Cyrodiil the second I hit 160. Seriously, the moment I was 160 I made both my sets and went straight in and haven't left yet. I'm about 440 CP's further in now (just over 600), and about 99% of those we're earned just from PvP, it's literally all I do.

At 160 it was rough. Partly because I had no idea what the hell I was doing, but especially because I didn't know what everyone else was doing. I didn't know how to anticipate and react to a warden or templar combo, simply because I had never done it before. This, coupled with being at a massive CP disadvantage, made it quite challenging. In those days I mostly zerged to watch and learn how Cyrodiil functions.

By the time I was about 400 I was much better. Not good mind you, but I had a general idea of what to do, and a basic idea of what other classes were doing, and the CP gap wasn't as bad. This was when I started venturing off solo and in smaller groups of 2-4 more often.

Once I hit roughly 500 was when things started to feel like they were "evening out". I could fight, and potentially win, against many 810's, although the experienced old timers still typically always got me, but I could (usually) make them work for it at least. Now in the 600's it's pretty much just a solid progression from the 500's, but by now most of my CP's have hit or are starting to hit major diminishing returns, so the CP gap is nowhere near as noticible as it once was.

Your effectiveness will improve overtime, but it's as much a natural progression of your own skills as it is your CP's. CP helps, or puts you at a disadvantage, but the majority of your success or failure will come from what's going on between your ears, not what's going on in your champion trees.
    Xbox NA - JaeKwellen
    AD PvP
    Trying to main a magcro. This is awful.