The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can we talk about Werewolves?

Tyrthax
Tyrthax
So there was some recent changes made to Werewolf in the PTS, and those changes are mostly lackluster. Flavorful, but lackluster.

A while back, they had buffed Werewolf so that it was actually, (and finally), a viable option for PvE DPS... And then absolutely gutted it into uselessness because of PvP.

Werewolf hasn’t recovered from it since. These new changes in the PTS are fun, but they really add nothing to their usefulness or viability. I love the idea of playing a Werewolf, but its not fun and feels like running around with a wet noodle.

Are there still any competitive Werewolf builds out there? Blood Moon/Relequen/Molag Kena just aren’t really doing it anymore. Course with all these nerfs and changes to damage, I’m not sure what is considered competitive DPS anymore. I break 40k on all my toons now, with the exception of Pet Sorc (Because lets face it, it may as well be dead), stam sorc, and StamSorc Werewolf. Where before Werewolf could break 40k DPS.

Any thoughts or input?
Purveyor of Khajiiti stuff.
Healer, Tank, DPS.
Master Crafter
Lord No-Touchie.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. I would like WW to be in a "viable" spot - but not necessary in the "competitive" section. Especially when in comes to PvP. To put it simply: if the make WW too good (not necessary OP) - another wave of "call for nerfs" / witch-hunt will start. I know how that ended last time, and I don't want to go through it again.

As for the WW changes on PTS - if those go live, WW will finally be playable again. Even if there will be some nerfs on PTS (it won't go live as good as the initial changes) - it will still be better than what we have on live.
  • Tyrthax
    Tyrthax
    Tbh. I would like WW to be in a "viable" spot - but not necessary in the "competitive" section. Especially when in comes to PvP. To put it simply: if the make WW too good (not necessary OP) - another wave of "call for nerfs" / witch-hunt will start. I know how that ended last time, and I don't want to go through it again.

As for the WW changes on PTS - if those go live, WW will finally be playable again. Even if there will be some nerfs on PTS (it won't go live as good as the initial changes) - it will still be better than what we have on live.

This is true. Marginally better. But still not really viable. It was pretty bad that they removed the bleed from the Pack Master morph, especially given that the transformation doesn’t benefit from any weapon skill lines.

Whereas they’ve consistently fine tuned Vampire, and haven’t ever nerfed it into uselessness. They (after a long time) made Vampire fair (when they finally balanced Bats), and are now improving it MASSIVELY. In PTS, the Vampire Spammable is probably the strongest spammable in the game right now, being able to get 100% crit rates on it. The Werewolf changes just seem like some kind of afterthought meant to seem like they weren’t being biased towards Vampires.

Healer, Tank, DPS.
    Master Crafter
    Lord No-Touchie.
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tyrthax wrote: »
    So there was some recent changes made to Werewolf in the PTS, and those changes are mostly lackluster. Flavorful, but lackluster.

A while back, they had buffed Werewolf so that it was actually, (and finally), a viable option for PvE DPS... And then absolutely gutted it into uselessness because of PvP.

Werewolf hasn’t recovered from it since. These new changes in the PTS are fun, but they really add nothing to their usefulness or viability. I love the idea of playing a Werewolf, but its not fun and feels like running around with a wet noodle.

Are there still any competitive Werewolf builds out there? Blood Moon/Relequen/Molag Kena just aren’t really doing it anymore. Course with all these nerfs and changes to damage, I’m not sure what is considered competitive DPS anymore. I break 40k on all my toons now, with the exception of Pet Sorc (Because lets face it, it may as well be dead), stam sorc, and StamSorc Werewolf. Where before Werewolf could break 40k DPS.

Any thoughts or input?

Werewolf can still break 40k dps will just have to work a little harder than in the light attack spam days, especially since sorc is the best class for damage. 85k on a raid dummy is more than possible, as is 50k self buffed on a 6mil.
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
  • Tyrthax
    Tyrthax
    Chrlynsch wrote: »

Any thoughts or input?

Werewolf can still break 40k dps will just have to work a little harder than in the light attack spam days, especially since sorc is the best class for damage. 85k on a raid dummy is more than possible, as is 50k self buffed on a 6mil.

And what build would you use for that? Skills? Rotation? Etc. There’s no real viable guides out there. And I’ve not seen any Werewolves hitting those sorts of numbers after they were nerfed into oblivion.

Healer, Tank, DPS.
    Master Crafter
    Lord No-Touchie.
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
  • Tyrthax
    Tyrthax
    Chrlynsch wrote: »

Ooo thanks. Ill give this a watch.

Healer, Tank, DPS.
    Master Crafter
    Lord No-Touchie.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any thoughts or input?

They gutted it because zos like you could get high dps by spamming light attack.

But sure pvp.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Theres no way these changes make it to live. Major berserk on demand is insane honestly.

But I am excited. I haven't played a werewolf since eso launched and I'm leveling up one now.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    Theres no way these changes make it to live. Major berserk on demand is insane honestly.

But I am excited. I haven't played a werewolf since eso launched and I'm leveling up one now.

Read the description of the ability and tell me how often you'll receive that major berserk buff in a realistic combar situation. I'll tell you the answer:
    It will never happen

It doesn't proc on overhealing but you actually need to sit at 100% HP and then use your heal (which cost almost 6k magicka) to get the berserk. And in PvP while fighting (which is when you need/want a damage buff like major berserk), you'll always have some incoming damage, which puts your HP below 100% almost 99% of the time. If you somehow managed to get the major berserk buff it comes with a 23% damage increase for 6 seconds. And seeing how Hircine's Rage is the weaker healing morph, you'll get around a 5-6k heal out of it in PvP depending you max HP. And good luck staying alive with a 5-6k heal as your only heal in PvP (+ the occasional major defile that every FOTM stamcro will put on you)

No one I've talked to who plays werewolf in PvP will go with the berserk morph if it remains unchanged next patch, because it's just badly designed that you need to be at 100% HP to proc the additional effects. I don't mind the 23% damage taken for the duration, it's a cool "kiss-curse", but what's the point of having a strong damage buff when it will never occur in a real combat situation?
    Edited by Qbiken on May 1, 2020 8:39AM
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ww could break 40k i sure, depends on the connection quality between the server and client, because it affects the LA speed rofl.
    Btw, ww uptime is everything, ww lose the form during leader explain the mechanics in trial.
    WW lose the form from bf last boss curse
    WW lose the form in fv mickey phase
    WW lose the form from Blackheart Haven last boss curse
    WW lose the form from SP2 big spider boss

WW lose huge dps when they are in human form.

Zos really need to think about the WW uptime deeply, maybe toggle for 1 ultimate selection or you want ww cannot play in some dungeons.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »

Read the description of the ability and tell me how often you'll receive that major berserk buff in a realistic combar situation. I'll tell you the answer:
    It will never happen

It doesn't proc on overhealing but you actually need to sit at 100% HP and then use your heal (which cost almost 6k magicka) to get the berserk. And in PvP while fighting (which is when you need/want a damage buff like major berserk), you'll always have some incoming damage, which puts your HP below 100% almost 99% of the time. If you somehow managed to get the major berserk buff it comes with a 23% damage increase for 6 seconds. And seeing how Hircine's Rage is the weaker healing morph, you'll get around a 5-6k heal out of it in PvP depending you max HP. And good luck staying alive with a 5-6k heal as your only heal in PvP (+ the occasional major defile that every FOTM stamcro will put on you)

No one I've talked to who plays werewolf in PvP will go with the berserk morph if it remains unchanged next patch, because it's just badly designed that you need to be at 100% HP to proc the additional effects. I don't mind the 23% damage taken for the duration, it's a cool "kiss-curse", but what's the point of having a strong damage buff when it will never occur in a real combat situation?

I wasnt considering pvp, I assumed you could weave it in your rotation in pve but I also dont know how much trickle damage you take in trials as I dont do those.
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast got 95k on a WW on PTS I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • Tyrthax
    Tyrthax

Any thoughts or input?

They gutted it because zos like you could get high dps by spamming light attack.

But sure pvp.

Yes PvP was the reason they nerfed WW. They even said so. Because they were overwhelming in BGs and in PvP groups. And I break 40k DPS on all my toons on a 6mil. Even in this nerfed af environment. I dont need to “spam” light attacks. I just happen to like Werewolves aesthetically and lore wise.
    Healer, Tank, DPS.
    Master Crafter
    Lord No-Touchie.
  • Tyrthax
    Tyrthax
    ThePedge wrote: »

Alcast is a machine. Is there some link or something to this WW parse of his? I wasn’t aware of one, or that he even bothered with Werewolves.
    Healer, Tank, DPS.
    Master Crafter
    Lord No-Touchie.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Alcast is a machine. Is there some link or something to this WW parse of his? I wasn’t aware of one, or that he even bothered with Werewolves.

It's on YouTube I think
  • Tyrthax
    Tyrthax

It's on YouTube I think

Cool! I’mma try and find it.

Healer, Tank, DPS.
    Master Crafter
    Lord No-Touchie.