The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New Crown store items are fairly underwhelming...

VanLo83
VanLo83
✭✭✭
So... I don't get it. I thought the idea of the Crown Store is to SELL items? I've been keeping an eye on all the previous releases between now and januari on the crown store and I have to be 100% honest, save for a tiny collection of nicely done items, the vast majority of items that have been put on the store are... well... to put it midly... crap.

The new outfit from today's collection for example, the Pellitine Tea-fete gown looks absolutely horrible. The details are bad, it just doesn't strike me as an item that will even sell that much. The new mount, that senche thing is just a lazy recolor of the old pre-order mount from Elseweyr. I'm sorry but why do you guys even bother making (recoloring) these lazy excuses of items? Make something new, something a bit daring or heck, make a cool mount or something like that and you can be sure I'll buy crowns and buy that stuff. But the current collection... yeah... I'll just stick to paying my sub and that's about the extend of it.

Please ZOS, make some COOL and NEW stuff, stop pouring this boring and bland crap into the store. Thank you!
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the cosmetics are purely based on personal preference. :smile: So maybe you think everything on offer was lackluster, but other people may have totally loved them!

The Tea-fete gown for example was anticipated by the playerbase ever since Summerset, when we first saw it on a Khajiiti NPC. I was happy to buy it, and I think it looks good (and luckily it dyes well too)! But yeah, that's purely opinion-based. There was a free Fisher costume a while ago, and I never used it because to me it looks ridiculous, but once in a while I will see people running around with it, straw hat and all! :smiley: So clearly, just because I didn't like something doesn't mean that other people aren't happy for it!

I think it would help if you stopped looking at all Crown Store items as things that you dislike - look at them instead knowing that not all Crown Store items are made for or aimed at you! That way you'll avoid the long chain of disappointment of looking at everything as 'Well I don't want this either!' and instead focus on the few things that you do actually like 'Now here's one for me, that's just my style!'

Though I do agree, a few items are really just unnecessary boring stuff that most people will pass on :lol:
    (These are 4 'different' very exciting costumes)
    4costumes.png
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bluebird is right.

Not everyone has the same preferences when it comes to cosmetics.

There have been some decent offerings in the Crown Store of late ... some of them free with ESO+.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The crown store is just the residue from the time it was intended to be a source of income via selling cosmetics. Now, the bulk of cosmetics is sold in scam crates, with almost nothing new in the store. Actually, more and more items become unavailable with time. It´s a total shame. If the store had every cosmetic item created and offered by devs, I would buy a lot. But right now, I have tons of crowns and nothing to spend them in.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The crown store is just the residue from the time it was intended to be a source of income via selling cosmetics. Now, the bulk of cosmetics is sold in scam crates, with almost nothing new in the store. Actually, more and more items become unavailable with time. It´s a total shame. If the store had every cosmetic item created and offered by devs, I would buy a lot. But right now, I have tons of crowns and nothing to spend them in.

I am pretty picky about what I spend Crowns on, but I have tons of Crowns and nothing I want to buy. I spend them, but the pickings are pretty slim. There were a couple gem-only things that I would have bought for Crowns, but I have no gems.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • eklhaftb16_ESO
    eklhaftb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pellitine Tea-fete Gown may be somewhat simplistic, but it fits some of my ladies, and it would've been a "buy" for me - if it weren't for the dreaded clipping crotchflap.

Xw2Az22.png

I mean, if they insist on using that design element on skirted costumes, can't they at least learn how to rig it properly so it doesn't clip through the skirt? They've had five years to figure it out! :p
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad. I was considering picking that up. It is a little on the spendy side, so I was debating it.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually came to the forum specifically because I like that dress but wanted to see if there's any examples of it dyed yet, because I'm wary of anything with metallic parts as those are often undyable. I like it and it would suit my characters, I just want to know what I can do with it before I buy it.
    bluebird wrote: »
    Though I do agree, a few items are really just unnecessary boring stuff that most people will pass on :lol:
    4costumes.png

I have 2 of those (Skald's Damask Jerkin and Soiree in Camlorn Evening Suit) and I like having both because I've got them dyed in very different ways and use them for different purposes. The first is more of a commoners 'everyday' outfit, the kind of thing where my chacters could blend into a crowd of NPCs in a city, and the second is fancier, for blending into the crowd in a castle, or for special occasions.

Similarly I got the Bleakrock Housecarl Dress even though I already had the Bardic Taven-Singer's Dress and those two are completely identical except one has undyeable gold parts and one has undyable silver parts (and a slightly shorter apron) because again they dye differently so I can use them for different situations.

Admittedly it helps that the Skald and Taven-Singer costumes came from login rewards, the Camlorn one came from a free crown crate and the Bleakrock one I bought with free crown gems, so I didn't have to pay for any of them. But I still use all 4 regularly, which is more than I can say for some of the costumes I've gotten free.

And I'm sure the ones I never use are someone else's favourites, like the Grim Harvester or Golden Saint costumes.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I actually came to the forum specifically because I like that dress but wanted to see if there's any examples of it dyed yet, because I'm wary of anything with metallic parts as those are often undyable. I like it and it would suit my characters, I just want to know what I can do with it before I buy it.

The gown? One example here, but I have not seen any discussion of it, yet.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/pellitine-tea-fete-gown/

• bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pellitine Tea-fete Gown may be somewhat simplistic, but it fits some of my ladies, and it would've been a "buy" for me - if it weren't for the dreaded clipping crotchflap.

Xw2Az22.png

I mean, if they insist on using that design element on skirted costumes, can't they at least learn how to rig it properly so it doesn't clip through the skirt? They've had five years to figure it out! :p
    @eklhaftb16_ESO It does not clip. :smile: The issue is your Personality.

And that sounded horrible, but really, that clipping is due to your equipped ingame Personality, the Duchess, which twists your torso back so that it interferes with the costume. :smiley:

I made a thread for you, @Danikat at https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/523444/pellitine-tea-fete-gown-dye-images-and-warnings/p1?new=1 hope it helps! :smile:
    4costumes.png
    I have 2 of those (Skald's Damask Jerkin and Soiree in Camlorn Evening Suit) and I like having both because I've got them dyed in very different ways and use them for different purposes. The first is more of a commoners 'everyday' outfit, the kind of thing where my chacters could blend into a crowd of NPCs in a city, and the second is fancier, for blending into the crowd in a castle, or for special occasions.
    Even so, that's 2 times more than even you have of that set of 4 :wink: So they could've released something more varied instead of at least 2 of them. But hey, this example also goes to show that a lot is just a matter of taste!
    Edited by bluebird on April 23, 2020 8:47PM
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @bluebird the costume should work with all personalities. Clipping is clipping, it's a fail in design and it is there. Zo$ does not learn because it doesn't care, nor do many costumers who just buy and buy.
  • eklhaftb16_ESO
    eklhaftb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @eklhaftb16_ESO It does not clip. :smile: The issue is your Personality.

And that sounded horrible, but really, that clipping is due to your equipped ingame Personality, the Duchess, which twists your torso back so that it interferes with the costume. :smiley:

Yes, I have a terrible personality. Heh >:)

But, technically, the problem *is* with the costume. The personality is only making it visible while standing straight. On uneven terrain - sideways on the stairs, for example - the flap will clip even with basic personality, because the skirt goes up, but the flap keeps hanging down.

Rq8PPHL.png

Not a professional modeler, but I'd wager a guess: it's because flaps use their own separate model, rigged independently from legs and skirt models. It responds properly to running, but it haven't been updated to accommodate newer emotes, personalities, or inverse foot kinematics.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    bluebird the costume should work with all personalities. Clipping is clipping, it's a fail in design and it is there. Zo$ does not learn because it doesn't care, nor do many costumers who just buy and buy.
    Oh come on now. It really isn't that bad. Have you even played this game? Or any game? :wink:

Medium length skirts and tunics clip through your calf when you crouch, full length dresses clip through your butt when you do, many shields clip through your upper arm, and the pieces that don't clip, float - belts and legsideplates suspended by invisible force with inches of air between their model and yours. And let's not even go into hairstyles.

Clipping - especially during motions or contorted positions - is pretty bog standard and commonplace. So there is a difference between noting that hey, this costume clips if I do this-and-this which is totally fair, versus pretending that clipping is some major bug that ruins this costume due to ZOS's greed for profit, when clipping regularly occurs throughout all games and all assets not just this Crown Store costume.
  • Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The senche raht thing should never be ridden by a lady.
  • Pink_E_808
    Pink_E_808
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matchimus wrote: »
    The senche raht thing should never be ridden by a lady.

Why not?
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't even like dresses or skirts but I love the tea-fete gown! Seemed like quite a few people in one of my FB groups bought it too.