The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cyrodill - Do Scrolls reset

Beardimus
Beardimus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Riddle me this.

Some days map can be painted, no change overnight but you login and all 4 enemy scrolls are back in their temples. No overnight activity.

Other says 2 are back not others, or none.

No score changes to suggest map was flicked back and forth etc.

I'm sure I asked this before but can't find the thread. What gives. Anyone know?

@ZOS_BrianWheeler
Xbox One | EU | EP
Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
Alts - - for the Lolz
Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach

Best Answer

• Crown
    Crown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Beardimus There can be full map resets where all scrolls return to temples. We've seen it happen many times, usually when there's a full server (Cyrodiil) crash due to too many people in the same place (such as a last emp keep fight), or when someone on the ZOS team resets the Cyrodiil environment for performance reasons (seems to happen every month or two).

There is also an exploit whereby someone with a scroll in hand can die, then rez up wherever they want (usually at their gate) while still holding the scroll. /Bug reports have been made, and we're hoping that they fix this some time soon as it happens relatively often (at least a few times / month). @ZOS_GinaBruno was made aware directly the last time we witnessed it. Not going to share details of how to do it here due to forum rules / TOS.
    Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
    PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
    Answer ✓
  • Kevlar501
    Kevlar501
    ✭✭
    Well as far as I know scrolls and physical objectives do not reset, unless perhaps if the campaign itself is reset(like when big patches come through that change the actual name of the campaign), but the Alliance and individuals scores do. The one thing that I can think of is that when its late at night someone might recapture the scrolls when there is little to no players on and may not have the group or time to do anything more than this, you can capture the scroll without taking the keep a long as you can get to it so it honestly might just be that a solo player online decided to get the scrolls back and log off, other than that I can't think of any reason as to why the scrolls would "reset".
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The scroll will not return to its scroll temple unless a player returns it.

There are timers where a scroll will "reset" to its last location after being carried (or dropped on the ground) for a certain period of time.

So if a scroll was taken from its temple and not placed in any keep before the timer runs out, it will reset to its scroll temple.

The only other condition is when a scroll has been placed in a keep, and the faction that owns the scroll captures the keep. If someone picks up their faction's scroll (scroll 1) and then a captured enemy scroll is placed in the keep (scroll 2) -- if the timer runs out on the scroll (1) before it returned to its temple -- and since it cannot return to the last keep it was placed in because there is another scroll (2) there -- it will return to its temple. Although this may be buggy. I seem to recall seeing two scrolls in one keep before, but I don't know the conditions that caused it. (Maybe a scroll resetting to a keep at the same moment another scroll is being placed in the same keep.)

When it was possible to Ambush or chain pull through keep doors -- or DK leap into certain keeps -- there were times someone could solo capture a scroll without ever capturing the keep. You could also literally jump into keeps by gaining mega speed when casting a root on a guard while having the templar-style reflect bubble from a guard, and then using it to launch yourself up an incline. However, aside from being absurd and hilarious, it really hard to do in a controlled way, and you usually just died from fall damage. I am talking about SUPER mega speed, nearly uncontrollable, like you could launch yourself and "fly" halfway across the map (to your death of course). Whereas ambushing into a keep was so easy to do it mostly happened by accident. (None of these methods work anymore.)

Or still today, in the event someone was hiding somewhere in a keep, or possibly logged back into an enemy keep holding a scroll. They could grab it then jump out of the keep. (Usually, this would happen in large home keeps.) There may be some new method to extract scrolls from keeps without flipping them first, but I am unaware of it and couldn't post about it even if I were.

Edited by josh.lackey_ESO on April 28, 2020 12:56PM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown wrote: »
    @Beardimus There can be full map resets where all scrolls return to temples. We've seen it happen many times, usually when there's a full server (Cyrodiil) crash due to too many people in the same place (such as a last emp keep fight), or when someone on the ZOS team resets the Cyrodiil environment for performance reasons (seems to happen every month or two).

There is also an exploit whereby someone with a scroll in hand can die, then rez up wherever they want (usually at their gate) while still holding the scroll. /Bug reports have been made, and we're hoping that they fix this some time soon as it happens relatively often (at least a few times / month). @ZOS_GinaBruno was made aware directly the last time we witnessed it. Not going to share details of how to do it here due to forum rules / TOS.

Thanks @Crown - really apricate that as its consistent with that I have seen, glad i'm not going mad!!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP