The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magicka Dragonknight CP/NoCP build suggestions

• daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Lughlongarm well i finally got the chance to test out your build and it felt pretty good. No sustain issues and plenty damage. Some mobility issues and I felt squishy outside of ult but that's usualy how you feel on every class in bgs that can't escape and the enemy team doesn't split up.

All the matches were swarming with magsorcs aswell and that didn't help the situation at all. Overall pretty solid.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonor wrote: »
    @Lughlongarm well i finally got the chance to test out your build and it felt pretty good. No sustain issues and plenty damage. Some mobility issues and I felt squishy outside of ult but that's usualy how you feel on every class in bgs that can't escape and the enemy team doesn't split up.

All the matches were swarming with magsorcs aswell and that didn't help the situation at all. Overall pretty solid.

Nice, thank you for checking it out. Did you had movement issues and felt squishy, even with BRP- quick cloak+ frost staff front bar? This combo was supposed to address this issue.
  • daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah forgot to mention I wasn't running BRP DW, instead i was using maelstrom resto with regen and had channeled acceleration instead of stone fist. I supposed that skewed the results of your build quite a bit, but there's no way im running dual wield on magicka dragonknight xd. I hate the aesthethics, I didn't run master DW on stamina toons when it was OP nor did I ever play a pvp build which had dual wield in it.
  • Q_Q
    Q_Q
    ✭✭✭
    PvP shackle/bright throat all impen 2 large heavy in too lazy to do anything else rn it works great
  • Q_Q
    Q_Q
    ✭✭✭
    And blood spawn ofc
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been testing this build, got a bit of mixed results so far, ofcourse needs some improvements.

Complete range MagDK-
    2piece- Skoria
    5piece- BTB
    3piece- WP all SPD enchnat
    Front bar- perfected Asylum destro
    Back bar- POTATO resto

Skills-
    Front- Degen/Soul trap/clench/crushing shock/FOO/leap
    Back- RAT/Harness/Rapid regen/volatile/wings- Life giver

Idea was to use dots from regen and soul trap which also gives you maj Sorcery and sustain from soul trap I.e. 8k mag return on kills, and burning proc from asylum gives mag anyway. Clench for CC. Wings for return damage for ranged players and Foo for extra crit and some heals.

Tested in BG and NoCP. Works decently as long as you are in range, but problem is that it can get squishy at times but apart from that, damage was decent. Even had a flawless BG with this, well got lucky there with a decent team.

So food for thought.
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • Q_Q
    Q_Q
    ✭✭✭
    Sneakers wrote: »
    People telling u magdk is bad are trolls. Its op AF atm.

Grothar that fire staff and elfbane.

They melt people with very little skill and effort from AoE proc sets that dot while spamming fossilize and powerlash.

RedonkulOus damage output. If there was a class/race respec id change my 27k BB tootltip stamcro to Magdk.

Some of us don’t use cheese proc sets and fossilize.
  • Q_Q
    Q_Q
    ✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »

They melt people with very little skill and effort from AoE proc sets that dot while spamming fossilize and powerlash.

RedonkulOus damage output. If there was a class/race respec id change my 27k BB tootltip stamcro to Magdk.

I don't know about that, but I do know I have farmed many stamcros on NA with my mag DK so there is truth here...

Its OP AF mate :)

Try adding in that staff that gives pulsar a dot tick as well. Now we talking gsme breaking easymode aoe dps.

So:
    elfbane
    Grothar
    Asylum staff
    That other staff which grants pulsar extra dot (can be used in conjunction with the mangle morph for top lolz)

I give magdk 1 patch then its nerfed.

Why are you acting like majority of ppl are using even half of what you mentioned above? Hop on a magDK and 1vx a Zerg with half a dozen necro spamming defile and sorcs nailing you from every direction and handful of pve snipers around the perimeter with one heal on your bar and no shields and grothdarr instead of bs. Also why you talking about dots like most of the ppl out here have healers purging them every 5 seconds. [Snip] all I see is someone trying to get a class nerfed cuz his p2w necro class can’t beat em. Idk what else to tell you.

[Edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on March 31, 2020 3:35PM
  • daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guys keep it civil please, it's okay to have different ideas. Magplars and magblades have this 70 page long thread about builds and it's very interesting to read, pretty sure I could find nothing of the sort for DKs.

Arguing on a forum you can make both builds look bad/good. For example getting sniped and fraged as you said with grothdar being absoloutely useless and dying cause of having only a single heal. You could also imagine turning around after surviving with 2 sustain sets and a defensive set with no fossizile not being able to outdps vigor.

Not bashing any of the builds just asking you to keep the discussion going without being hostile.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must a gree with Q. Outside of a zerg or ball group this build does not seem verry handy. I mean 2 destros, 0 defens sets, no shields..

Could work in a bigger group, but then again i think there would be better options than the asylum staff. A singletarget spam only to proc the status efects. Take a mag warden and a sorcerer and you have those effects on multiple targets.
  • Sneakers
    Sneakers
    ✭✭✭
    Q_Q wrote: »

I don't know about that, but I do know I have farmed many stamcros on NA with my mag DK so there is truth here...

Try adding in that staff that gives pulsar a dot tick as well. Now we talking gsme breaking easymode aoe dps.

So:
    elfbane
    Grothar
    Asylum staff
    That other staff which grants pulsar extra dot (can be used in conjunction with the mangle morph for top lolz)

Why are you acting like majority of ppl are using even half of what you mentioned above? Hop on a magDK and 1vx a Zerg with half a dozen necro spamming defile and sorcs nailing you from every direction and handful of pve snipers around the perimeter with one heal on your bar and no shields and grothdarr instead of bs. Also why you talking about dots like most of the ppl out here have healers purging them every 5 seconds. [Snip] all I see is someone trying to get a class nerfed cuz his p2w necro class can’t beat em. Idk what else to tell you.

[Edited for baiting]

Yah and the reason my p2w op AF necro litterally (im not joking around here) gets OBLITIRATED by this combo (everyone else does as well) is????

The 1%er magDKs run this god awful abuse build and its just /logg off.

The sheer dps they put out from dots alone is INSANITY.
    Then you add powerlashes, which heals on targets that you fossilise (which is 100% of your targets). Nobody can afford to keep breaking fossilise fully over and over, you kill yourself doing that.
    They got very high sustain from burning which they proc of off force shock. If in trouble they LEAP (THIS ALSO GRANTS DAMAGE SHIELD).

Burning embers heals u
    Coag heals u
    Power lash heal u

My nec litterally cannot stand toe to toe vs this build.

10% pet mit
    Deaded pain
    34k resis
    Potentates
    Shuffle
    28.5k hp
    Hexproof (pointless to try purge u dmg urself 1800 every gcd ontop of 4k passive actual dot dmg)
    Powerlash spam
    Fossilise until ur dry on stam
    Leap
    T bag :blush:

Regular stamdks trying to "dizzy" are a joke Compared to this.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Q_Q wrote: »

So:
    elfbane
    Grothar
    Asylum staff

[Edited for baiting]

Elf Bane Groth? Yeah why would anybody THINK about running that trash. EVERYBODY knows what set MagDk’s running. And it ain’t been mentioned yet.

I ain’t giving out builds either. Op roll a magplar lol. Or a StamDK. Leave MagDk out of ZOS’s nerfings.

And Groth IS trash because if you running THAT, you’re running Elfbane. And if you’re running Elfbane you’re giving up too much DAMAGE.

I usually just stand in that mess and beat them fools to death on MY MagDk.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on April 4, 2020 9:25AM
  • VixxVexx
    VixxVexx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pulsar, lash and force shock? Get me some of that skill bar real estate. Imagine having room for 2-3 spammables. Also 2 arena weapons, kinda weird my dude.

Someone explain Grothdarr over Bloodspawn for me please. The undodgable proc is ok, and maybe gives back some extra Magicka but I only see it on slow elfbane builds. Without blade cloak or rat any competent player will simply move out of the aoe in seconds.

• BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In bgs I actually use a very simple setup but you’ll still have damage and strong heals.

It’s akaviri dragon guard, transmutation (yes) and bloodspawn. Heavy on my body, snb front bar and resto back bar.

It offers mitigation; at 32-33k resistance without bloodspawn proc, there’s damage, off healing is really strong, can control with talons and leap and of course there’s utility. Sustain is somewhat “low” but low sustain is normal for me + DK makes it easier since my leap will be up quick.

A few recent matches:

https://imgur.com/a/6rSEpgF
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had pretty good results with 2 bloodspawn 5 light 1 1 seducers and spinners destro/potentates snb backbar. Wasn't very keen on trying it out at first cause its running 1 def set 1 sustain set and 1 dps set and they're all ancient :smiley:
  • daemonor
    daemonor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok I actually had the pleasure of meeting a few mag dks with your exact build @Lughlongarm and it was absoloutely disguisting. The fear CC is a mess just like fossilzie but aoe and it feels like you explode just by coming close to a mag dk with grothdar proc on. Granted I was a vampire and the DK's never split solo from their group, it was on par in pc out of the window type rage inducing with 2-3 zoosorc team.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonor wrote: »
    Ok I actually had the pleasure of meeting a few mag dks with your exact build @Lughlongarm and it was absoloutely disguisting. The fear CC is a mess just like fossilzie but aoe and it feels like you explode just by coming close to a mag dk with grothdar proc on. Granted I was a vampire and the DK's never split solo from their group, it was on par in pc out of the window type rage inducing with 2-3 zoosorc team.

I had a feeling it will be very effective for BG'S. Upcoming chapter will be MagDKs time to shine for real, with all the vemps running around.
    Let's see what kind of new toys PTS will bring us today.
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I did some playing around with Elf Bane for a while a couple days ago. I queued BG basically all day just trying out different stuff, some worked better than others, that's how it goes. I didn't bother trying out Elf Bane in Cyrodiil at all, but that's because Cyrodiil is completely unplayable right now.

I played around with some different sets and skill combinations. I cannot suggest running Elf Bane with anything except for Grothdarr as you monster helmet, and while some people above don't really care for it, it's pretty powerful. Grothdarr consistently, even in single target scenarios, does the most damage out of any single source you have. Obviously if you have CP this is a different scenario, but without CP Grothdarr ends up ticking for anywhere from 600-1000 damage depending on the target, and there's nothing your opponent can do about it other than to stay away. It's great because even when you need to spend time on healing or reapplying other buffs, Grothdarr is in the background there, still ticking away without requring any GCD on your part. The only issue is that if you want to make sure Grothdarr is always active, you have to double bar Elf Bane. This means no running something like Potentates on your backbar, which sucks. I have an inferno elf bane staff, but if you don't have that, it means wearing it on your body, and that is technically inferior because you will be running a 5L/2H setup and that's less stats. Also means possibly farming out a light set of Grothdarr if you didn't already have it: annoying.

You really need to find a way to fit Burning Talons on your bar if you're going to bother with Elf Bane. Burning Talons deals the damage amount of damage that Burning Embers or Engulfing Flames do, but in half the time. So in a single cast you've basically put 2 DOTs worth of pressure on your opponent, with a synergy (very rarely), and on every enemy around you. I personally found that dropping Burning Embers for Burning Talons worked best for me, simply because while the heal from Embers is nice, I could make up for that in other ways.

If you do decide to run Burning Talons, you really no longer need to run Fossilize, because the immobilize at the end of the skill is completely unnecessary, and it's actually more beneficial for you to be able to control when either of the effects get applied to your opponent. As a result I can highly recommend Shattering Rocks in conjunction with Burning Talons, as it also nets you a minor heal while allowing you to maintain pressure. Likewise, Power Lash is also a nice skill to run in this build, since you can proc it when your opponent is immobilized from Talons. While it's simple to dodge roll out of talons, I cannot tell you the number of times I hit someone with talons and then witness them attempt to break free because they expected a hard stun instead. There is something to be said about running Unrelenting Grip to pull an enemy to you and then immediately using Burning Talons as it does place a lot of pressure on your opponent instantly. Problem being you lose out on a stun with any appreciable duration.

When picking your ultimate I found that, while there are some options that take advantage of Elf Bane, it's really tough to justify anything but Ferocious Leap. This is especially true since we aren't running Bloodspawn and our ulti generation is lower than a typical magDK setup, and trust me, you will notice the reduced ulti gen. That said, with Magma Shell's duration with Elf Bane increases to 18 seconds, and that's just a ludicrous amount of time to be limiting burst damage. Every stamina build and several magicka builds (see mag sorc) all rely on big burst skills, and if you have this up for 18 seconds it's a basically a free pass to do literally whatever you want to them. Disrespectful imo. I had a lot of fun using Eye of the Storm as well. 12 seconds is a long time, and it tends to tick for nearly 2000 damage on average. Combine that with Grothdarr and you have a huge amount of unpurgable passive damage going out to everyone near you. Do not discount the ability to deal damage to everyone around you passively, as that puts other players on defense and gives your team the momentum it needs. I would suggest considering swapping out your ultimate based on your needs.

In terms of other sets to pair with Elf Bane it's really tough to use anything but a defensive set. I tried out spinners, BSW, elemental succession, overwhelming surge (meh), pariah, and buffer of the swift. All of the offensive sets were an absolute blast to use, until anyone looked in your direction. As soon as anyone started applying pressure, the build buckles. You could attempt to use snb on your backbar, but I didn't personally feel like snb on its own was enough to make up for how squishy the build was. I have not attempted to use protective on the jewelry in combination with a damage based 5-piece set. Looking at how much mitigation it offers compared to the gain in effective power however, I doubt it's worth the trouble.

I ended up preferring using Buffer of the Swift the most. While it lacked the damage that other builds had, it really wasn't that difficult to net kills at all. Further I had no issue with survivability. Ultimately, what the Elf Bane, Grothdarr, and Burning Talons offer you is the ability to place the equivalent of 3 DOTs on your opponent with only 1 GCD, even in the case of a Warden or a Templar purging it off, it takes you only 1 GCD to put all that pressure back up, and Grothdarr never goes away. Furthermore, stamina builds which rely upon dodging to mitigate damage just flat out fail against this build because almost all of it is AOE, so aside from Lava Whip and possibly entropy if you use it, there's literally nothing they can dodge. Technically I guess they can roll out of the range of Talons, but really they're just wasting stamina at that point.

Until Cyrodiil is less of a steaming mess I can't say how well Elf Bane works in a CP environment however.
    Edited by Somewhere on April 28, 2020 8:45AM
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interesting thread.