The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Pen Cap?

DTAmoral
DTAmoral
✭✭✭✭
Is there a penetration cap in pvp? If so what is it?
Xbox NA - EP
Team Rocket's Finest Support
We are recruiting! Use below link for recruitment!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/577520/team-rocket-ebonheart-pvp-guild#latest
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The enemies resistance is your penetration cap. ;)
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cap is as much as you can stack. A player can have up to 32k effective resistance and even go above that to counter your penetration.

Edit: You also will not know how much penetration the player target has since many players do not play tanks so they will likey not have 32k resistance.
    Edited by idk on April 24, 2020 1:41AM
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    The cap is as much as you can stack. A player can have up to 32k effective resistance and even go above that to counter your penetration.

Edit: You also will not know how much penetration the player target has since many players do not play tanks so they will likey not have 32k resistance.

To be fair pretty much every competant player has like 25k-30k nowadays but it'll be less now the the bloodspawn and 1 piece armour changes.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can "over penetrate", and that's about it. Resist cap is 33k something, which is 50%. Then, you can always decrease their resistances, by Minor/Major Fracture and Breach and Crusher enchants. In theory, you can even use Alkosh too. Think you can get like 12k just from debuffs/enchants(?), then you have 20% resistances "ignored" if using a 2H maul, and if you use a Sharpened one you have another like 2750 or whatever.

In addition, you can also wear sets like Spriggan, New Moon Acolyte, Titanborn, Kra'gh and (soon) Balorgh. Finally, you can put CP into "piercing". All in all, you can pretty much get a 33k "resist capped" enemy down to almost 0% I guess, never done any hard research on it. Anyone who says "there's no reason to go above resist cap in PVP", have no idea at all what they are talking about. I even use (spell/physical) resist potions on my PVP tank (with well over 33k resist), and I can easily say it makes a big difference. These gives an unnamed resist buff, which stacks with major/minor resistance buffs.

So: There's probably a penetration cap of sorts, as there's a limit to how much you can ultimately stack, but generally you can only "over penetrate", which btw. is kind of unlikely for a normal build - but there's a breaking point, where the returns from further pen is minuscule, and better invested in weapon damage etc.
    As long as you don't lose out on too much else, there's no such thing as "too much resistance" in PVP, the effective mitigation will be a lot lower than you think, especially when fighting multiple enemies, and in particular if you can't cleanse negative effects/debuffs.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No pen cap, but I wouldn’t go past 20k. Past 20k you’re probably giving up too much in opportunity cost going that high.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 26, 2020 7:00PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten