The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Class Change counter-counter argument!

AlexWaff
AlexWaff
✭✭✭
So, since the old arguments of "class change will ruin the game because FotM" aren't really holding up, I decided to address the new fancy contrarial argument against it -

Namely "Why would they sell class change, when they will make more money of you making an alt of another class and buying all the dozens of skill line skips".

That argument has a few flaws in my opinion. First, I'll point out that class change is mostly desired by people who care about achievements, research, map completion/quests/story, Motifs, recipes, etc. Unless they add all of those things as a crown store skin (which I wouldn't be surprised at, 2k crowns per achievement sub-section!, 3.5k crowns per complete motif, 5k crowns per completed zone story etc. please no) But let's put that aside for now.

The skips in the store right now are, essentially, there to provide you with a way to skip content you've already done, by duplicating it on another character. It's for alts, not for mains.
Now, class change tokens. They would serve the fuction of altering a character's class to something else. Give up one for the other. A service that's different, and more main-character focused.
The above mentioned argument against class change can also be applied to ALL change tokens we have now:

Why should they sell you race change tokens? You should just make a new character of that other race, and buy the skips.

Why should they sell you alliance change tokens? You should just make a new character of that other alliance, and buy the skips.
etc.

I believe that race change tokens are in line with ZoS monetization approach so far, and find it baffling they have not been implemented yet. They are perfectly in like with all other tokens up to date, in that they provide you a service to alter something about your character that you desire to change. Be it appearance, race, name, alliance.

Thus, the outcomes I see are two - either they add the race change token in line with their design so far, or they remove all other tokens and encourage people to "simply make new characters and buy skips", as per the now common new argument.
  • RedReign
    RedReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    All of the previously state excuses for denying Class Change tokens have fallen through. Personally I hope ZoS gets the to us by the next expansion cycle (especially if the trend of adding a new class every other expansion continues)
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, scenario: You load up in a BG and you find your team mate is dying over and over. He messages the group with "Sorry, I just class changed and have no idea how this class works". You're going to feel a little salty to say the least.
    Forcing someone to level a class means they learn all the skills and passives it has to offer. By the time you hit 50 you know it inside-out. So if you play badly then that's on you, not the game for letting you skip important content.
    I have always been against class change tokens, and hope they never exist.
  • MrGraves
    MrGraves
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Okay, scenario: You load up in a BG and you find your team mate is dying over and over. He messages the group with "Sorry, I just class changed and have no idea how this class works". You're going to feel a little salty to say the least.
    Forcing someone to level a class means they learn all the skills and passives it has to offer. By the time you hit 50 you know it inside-out. So if you play badly then that's on you, not the game for letting you skip important content.

normally i might agree but most people farm levels by this point and you don't really learn the class by farming levels through dolmens or sky reach or whatever else. You probably wont even get most of your skills leveled or even unlocked by the time you're level 50. And you don't have to be level 50 to be in bgs anyway. you are going to come across the person in bgs that doesn't know the class either way.
  • RedReign
    RedReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

That'd be so much worse than the current "Sorry I just grinded dolmens to 50 and have no idea how to play this class" that we have now.
  • AlexWaff
    AlexWaff
    ✭✭✭
    I've been playing stamblade for years, I've got almost full map completion, almost all skyshards except pvp ones and a few dungeon quest ones, and I have no idea how to play my class and barely pull 15-20k dps if I'm trying.

This argument really isn't any good either. Also, being salty because you played with somebody that's still learning is toxic in my opinion. Not everybody's a know-it-all pvp/pve god straight out of the womb, just try to have fun and get better. Won't get good at pvp by leveling up to 50 or anything, for that matter, no matter how long you do it - other than actually going and playing BGs or cyrodiil or vet dungeons/trials. Leveling and questing is so easy that you can pretty much make do without using any skills, it doesn't teach you how to properly do pve, much less pvp.
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlexWaff wrote: »
    [...]being salty because you played with somebody that's still learning is toxic[...]

Can I hear an AMEN, brothers and sisters?