The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

DRAUGRKIN set overlooked potential!

VoidCommander
VoidCommander
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone. Judging from what I can find online in terms of “guide builds” concerning the new draugrkin’s grip set, no one has published what I consider to be the best way to use it.

For frame of reference (and the reason you should consider reading further), before update 25 brought about this set my dps was about 28k on a magplar against a 6mil. After swapping mother’s sorrow with draugrkin’s grip, and a couple skill changes, it is now hitting 45k dps.

Now that I hopefully have your attention, lets review the 5th piece bonus of draugrkin’s grip:

“ Dealing direct damage to an enemy places a ghostly curse on your enemy for 6 seconds. Cursed enemies take 617 extra damage from all of your damage abilities. This effect can occur once every 9 seconds.”

The biggest thing with using this set that many guides don’t do, is that it is imperative that draurgrkin can only activate on ONE of your bars. This means having a draugrkin lightning staff (templar/necro) or flame staff (necro).

The reason we only want draugrkin to activate on one bar is so that you can place down as many fast ticking dots as you can first. After having placed down your dots, you can then swap bars to the draugrkin staff, light attack weave into your spammable (thus activating the set), and then those precious 6 seconds are affecting ALL of your dots for its entire duration. As for the spammable, classes should use force pulse, since each of its three damage types gets its own +617 damage. Only exception is templar, which should use puncturing sweeps.

As for those dots that should be used, stick only to aoe dots specifically because they tick every second. Most classes only have access to three, which are wall of elements, undaunted orbs, and your class specific aoe dot. Necromancers are especially awesome because while most classes have one dot that ticks once per second, necros have that, plus another dot called mystic siphon that ticks THREE times every second.

In summary, magcros are the most effective with draugrkin, followed closely behind by templars. I haven’t done extensive testing with the other classes because they did not have any particular advantages with draugrkin that I could find.

If you would like a more detailed guide about this set, let me know in the comments and I’ll make a youtube video.
  • Daffen
    Daffen
    ✭✭✭✭
    People have been using this set in pvp with rapid strikes on stamina characters melting people, so i guess it works on stamina dps as well, but not sure how good it is.
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daffen wrote: »
    People have been using this set in pvp with rapid strikes on stamina characters melting people, so i guess it works on stamina dps as well, but not sure how good it is.

If you use dual axes plus rapid strikes, those two separate bleed dots from each axe both get +617 damage on top of the added damage for the rapid strikes. A little strange to use on a stamina toon, but I can definitely see the potential.

I tried using a battleaxe instead of a lightning staff so I could get the bleeds on my templar, but unfortunately “puncturing sweeps” isn’t considered a melee ability, while its stamina morph is.
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good, you have me convinced! Gonna farm a set to try out for myself! ;-p

Question: where can I find how many ticks DoT skills have?
    There's quite a lot of X damage over Y seconds but it hardly ever describes during how many ticks exactly.
    Edited by Eifleber on April 23, 2020 10:09AM

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvE it’s strong but just not better than what other sets offer. Plus it’s single target.

For dungeons though (where bosses die quicker) it can be great to apply all of your DoTs+Ult and then swap to frontbar for the curse to proc.
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eifleber wrote: »
    Sounds good, you have me convinced! Gonna farm a set to try out for myself! ;-p

Question: where can I find how many ticks DoT skills have?
    There's quite a lot of X damage over Y seconds but it hardly ever describes during how many ticks exactly.

Most AOE dots will include the frequency of ticks in their tooltip. Things like wall of elements have one second ticks which is fairly standard. Other skills like undaunted orbs tick even faster (twice per second).

Single target dots do not include their tick durations, and they are usually very slow when compared to AOE dots (usually one tick every 2 seconds).

That is why I try to minimize my usage of slow ticking dots to only one at the very start of draugrkin phase (usually degen for major sorcery)
  • PaddyVu
    PaddyVu
    ✭✭✭✭
    This set only work with ability that scale very low dmg, thing that scale strong is bad. This set + crushing shock = bad but siroria + crushing shock = good ( scale very high ). This set + undaunted orb = very good but siroria + undaunted orb = bad.