Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

[EU] Is this game worth the time?

Lodreus0Redguard19
I've already found games that I very much enjoy for each genre. However, I'm still lost on what MMORPG to invest my time into. ESO is a great game imo but the servers are the main reason that annoys me and drives me away from the game. I've been playing on-and-off since 2015 so I am aware of the server state, but not as it is now as I have been playing different genres since then.

I currently have an issue where I always get randomly disconnected no matter what. I might be lucky and spend 2-3 hours without a single disconnect but when It does happen it really ruins the flow of gameplay. My ISP is Virgin Media and far as I am aware of my searches is that they have an issue with Super Hub 2AC where you'll just randomly disconnect and it only happens on this game. I found this out couple months ago but lost the will to look into it, but I'm back on the saddle because I need an MMORPG to play and ESO feels like the one.

I hope to fix my issue with my router but for now, I will endure it. I will get past the poor animations, graphics and boring-*ss special effects in this game but what I would like to know from EU players is what are the servers like now?

Thanks.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I find myself doing less open world PvP and more instanced based (ie: IC and BGs). From what I've experienced there's literally no lag in these places, so I can actually enjoy myself. Cyrodiil isn't too bad if you're not playing at peak times. Once the lag monster hits then it's usually a good time to jump into one of those instances I mentioned above.
    Since I moved ESO over to Linux I've weirdly had a more stable frame rate and zero random disconnections/crashes. I don't know if that's just pure luck or a case of LINUX MASTER RACE. Probably the latter.
    ESO is also the only game I always come back to. I take breaks occasionally for my own mental health, but unlike other MMOs, I always return to this one. There's just something exciting about the combat, the PvP (when it works) and building your character.
    Having said that, it's not the kind of game I would recommend to people in its current state. Once some of the lingering serious bugs are ironed out, and better optimizations are in place, I'd have no problem telling people to pick this game up.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've already found games that I very much enjoy for each genre. However, I'm still lost on what MMORPG to invest my time into. ESO is a great game imo but the servers are the main reason that annoys me and drives me away from the game. I've been playing on-and-off since 2015 so I am aware of the server state, but not as it is now as I have been playing different genres since then.

I currently have an issue where I always get randomly disconnected no matter what. I might be lucky and spend 2-3 hours without a single disconnect but when It does happen it really ruins the flow of gameplay. My ISP is Virgin Media and far as I am aware of my searches is that they have an issue with Super Hub 2AC where you'll just randomly disconnect and it only happens on this game. I found this out couple months ago but lost the will to look into it, but I'm back on the saddle because I need an MMORPG to play and ESO feels like the one.

I hope to fix my issue with my router but for now, I will endure it. I will get past the poor animations, graphics and boring-*ss special effects in this game but what I would like to know from EU players is what are the servers like now?

Thanks.
    I am on Vodafone 4G+, who appear to use a load balancing router. Many ISPs will give you a semi-permanent IP-address, which stays the same for hours or even days. On the other hand my public IP-address can change for every single connection I make.

When you log on to ESO, that's one connection and it gets you to the character screen. Once you pick a character ESO makes further connection(s). If those connections originate from a different IP-address, then ZOS will balk and throw you back out to the logon screen. Whenever you change zone, that's also a new connection. I'm not sure what happens when you have loading screens in Cyro, e.g. whether those involve new network connections. Point is, if ZOS sees you making a connection from a different IP-address than used at logon, they will throw you back out to the logon screen.

You might not have the same problem, but if you do then the solution is using a VPN, since the VPN endpoint is / tends to be a static IP-address and that's the only thing ZOS sees.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Honestly, I find myself doing less open world PvP and more instanced based (ie: IC and BGs). From what I've experienced there's literally no lag in these places, so I can actually enjoy myself.

Having said that, it's not the kind of game I would recommend to people in its current state. Once some of the lingering serious bugs are ironed out, and better optimizations are in place, I'd have no problem telling people to pick this game up.
    I have the same experience. I don' t do PvP. Performance overland, in dungeons and trials have been quite good thus far.
    Occasionally it gets bad and NPCs (like bankers or quest givers) take 3 minutes to load or I have disconnects when I change zone or enter a dungeon but generally the game plays pretty ok for me.

Imho the problem mainly lies with big group PvP areas.
    Perhaps they should get their own server.

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The EU servers appear to be very stressed atm, probably due to a mix of Germany throttling internet speeds and many people playing with the Corona measures in the EU. I dont PVP much anymore but even PVE has bad moments when it comes to server response. My ping is usually between 67-110 (playing from the Netherlands) and still there are latency related issues during dungeon or trail runs.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Lodreus0Redguard19
    fred4 wrote: »

Thanks.
    I am on Vodafone 4G+, who appear to use a load balancing router. Many ISPs will give you a semi-permanent IP-address, which stays the same for hours or even days. On the other hand my public IP-address can change for every single connection I make.

When you log on to ESO, that's one connection and it gets you to the character screen. Once you pick a character ESO makes further connection(s). If those connections originate from a different IP-address, then ZOS will balk and throw you back out to the logon screen. Whenever you change zone, that's also a new connection. I'm not sure what happens when you have loading screens in Cyro, e.g. whether those involve new network connections. Point is, if ZOS sees you making a connection from a different IP-address than used at logon, they will throw you back out to the logon screen.

You might not have the same problem, but if you do then the solution is using a VPN, since the VPN endpoint is / tends to be a static IP-address and that's the only thing ZOS sees.

That's what I'm currently experiencing except if I'm just moving around and not going anywhere that requires me to load into a new set, I get kicked. It's random and extremely frustrating. I wouldn't think a VPN would work but I'll give it a go, ty.

I'm still waiting for my upgraded router from Virgin but no signs of it yet. I guess I'll have to call Virgin again :|