The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

I Have A Question About CMX

kylewwefan
kylewwefan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Still a bit newer to PC gaming and not entirely sure if this how it works. In the Combat Metrics after a fight, it tells you the percent damage you did to a boss. Is that accurate? If in a 4 person group and you did say %98 damage is that right? I might be reading it wrong IDK?

Is there another ad on or a way to set CMX up where it tells you that stuff in real time? What is it? I heard there was one, but it got disabled for reasons.

Best Answers

• Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I was figuring something was wrong with it or I’m reading it wrong somehow. It shows what the bosses total health was and how much percent damage I did to it. Most times I’m around %60 but there have been some extreme ones like that %98. I’m not some kind of dps monster, but confused to how trustworthy this thing is.

And the ads too. But they’re weird. It always shows me doing like %2 damage to the ads. I figure I must be reading something wrong here.
    60% is not at all unreasonable for a decently skilled player in an otherwise subpar group. (and don't even get me started on the kind of groups where I was doing over 40% of the group DPS as a real tank!)

I'm not sure how the damage calculation works when multiple targets are involved - if you are focusing a different target than the rest of the group, the resulting damage % might well be incorrect.

From the other symptoms you are describing, it sounds like your version of CMX (or one of the libraries it uses) might be out of date, or there could be a conflict caused by some other addon.
    Try disabling all other addons (except CMX and its libs) and see if the issues still persist.
    Answer ✓
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, you're probably reading the output wrong.

The only place where you can see your DPS relative to others, is in the top-left line: DPS of Player - Group - Percent. It will tell you the percentage of group dps that you're doing.

All other stats in CMX only refer to your personal damage.
    Most importantly, in the lower left window, you see all the enemies that you did damage to, and the percentage of damage that you did to them.
    So if you have, for instance, a list of
    - Boss: 30k - 980k - 98%
    - Add1: 30k - 10k - 1%
    - Add2: 30k - 10k - 1%
    then that is only your damage.
    98% of your total damage went to the boss, and 1% of your total damage went to the adds. That says absolutely nothing about how much you contributed to the fight relative to other players. CMX doesn't display that kind of information.

For more detailed information, you could log the fight on esologs.
    Edited by Varana on April 17, 2020 12:52PM
    Answer ✓
  • Silent99
    Silent99
    ✭✭
    RPJCc8T.png

There are different percentages in the cmx window (with nothing selected).
    The one i ringed in red is the % of dps you did (14.9% in the above example)
    The one the blue arrow points to represents what % of your damage was done on that target. (So 70% of all the damage i did was done on the boss in the above example)

So that 98% you referring to could represent the % of the damage you did on that target , in other words 98% of the damage you did was on that target and 2 % was on other things.
    Edited by Silent99 on April 17, 2020 1:02PM
    Answer ✓
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The group damage CMX calculates is usually fairly accurate, certainly close enough for most practical purposes.

The % of your damage output is derived from calculating your contribution to the damage output and dividing it by the overall group DPS.
    In my experience, that's also reasonably accurate.

If you were actually doing 98% of group DPS - was the rest of the group AFK, by any chance? Or 3 tanks? Or pure healers with 0 damage output? :D

If they were actually attacking the same target as you, and doing any damage, then 98% indeed doesn't sound right at all.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was figuring something was wrong with it or I’m reading it wrong somehow. It shows what the bosses total health was and how much percent damage I did to it. Most times I’m around %60 but there have been some extreme ones like that %98. I’m not some kind of dps monster, but confused to how trustworthy this thing is.

And the ads too. But they’re weird. It always shows me doing like %2 damage to the ads. I figure I must be reading something wrong here.

I had some issues with the CMX where it closes out the screen when I try to flip through the other fights. It worked before, but now is not working.

It closes out when I try to save it so I can share. IDK what’s going on with that.
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is Hodor Reflexes but you can only see dps of others if they have the addon too and enabled dps sharing so not something thats gonna be helpful for pugging, or outside of organised Trial runs really. You could use it to see your own dps throughout the run I guess but for that Purpose CMX should be better.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There’s little point in seeing the damage other players are doing outside a structured progression group

It’s easy to misuse or misunderstand the data, which helps no one.

You could, for instance, do 90% of damage to a boss simply by running ahead and attacking it first ... doesn’t mean you were good, or effective, but hey it’s great if you like big numbers with no meaning.

Use the stats to analyse what you did and what you might do better (eg buff uptimes, LA weaving) rather than focusing on things that are not in your control (like others’ performance). Wasting time worrying about what others did is valueless at best, highly negative at worst.
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On adds you will usually get extreme numbers because they're low hp and everyone's targeting different ones. Boss fights are all most ppl care about with cmx.

And I see what @FierceSam is saying, but I actually disagree that there's NO point to comparing your performance to others... It can be a huge guage for how much improvement you still have to go & motivation to do so. Nothing wrong with friendly competition pushing you to improve :smile:. When I first got cmx and saw how insanely low my numbers were, I was like "oh there's a lot going on here I'm missing." I wasn't very good so hadn't quite realized how low it was, but once I saw the cold hard numbers it was motivation to actually find a solid rotation & build.

That said just realize that not everyone you meet in pugs is experienced or focused on getting high dps.
    Edited by worrallj on April 17, 2020 12:51PM
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    There’s little point in seeing the damage other players are doing outside a structured progression group
    Yes, and outside of those you don't even need CMX to see if the group is performing well or not - you can see that perfectly fine by just taking note of how long the fights last.

About the only meaningful use case for CMX in random groups, is that in content with DPS checks (or mechanics skippable with DPS burn) you can usually estimate if the DPS check can be cleared by looking at the group DPS on an earlier miniboss (for example).
    Or for knowing if your group has enough DPS to burn through the skippable mechanics.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »

It’s easy to misuse or misunderstand the data, which helps no one.

You could, for instance, do 90% of damage to a boss simply by running ahead and attacking it first ... doesn’t mean you were good, or effective, but hey it’s great if you like big numbers with no meaning.

Use the stats to analyse what you did and what you might do better (eg buff uptimes, LA weaving) rather than focusing on things that are not in your control (like others’ performance). Wasting time worrying about what others did is valueless at best, highly negative at worst.

That one was on Elden Hollow HM. I think the guy must had been attacking the the adds the whole time and never hit Bogdan the Nightflame.

I’m not some dps maniac either. In that fight, I was around 25k, and it didn’t feel like it was any longer than a regular Elden Hollow run. It was about a 3 minute fight. When I checked out the CMX, I thought “this can’t be right?”
  • Knightpanther
    Knightpanther
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget DPS meters of any kind, they are for idiots and elitists.

All they do is concentrate peoples minds on who does the most damage which does not make them a better player.

When these things first came out (before this game existed) i used to run raids and banned any form of these cancerous add ons, anyone who even mentioned them was kicked and on occasions removed from the guild.

Why?

Because if all you care about is YOU being top of that meter i don't want you.
    Because if all you are looking at is that meter you aint concentrating.
    Because its a group/raid getting through content together not a collection of individuals.

All the best players that i have ever met (and i was a member of some incredible guilds) were never top dogs on damage because they knew their class and used all their skills to help the group.

Example - best Lock i ever met in WOW was always running around banishing adds, kiting adds off the priests and sacrificing himself when needed, not just standing there spamming shadow bolt and pissing off the Tank.

There is no justification to use dps meters, only for those who want to polish their own egos.

Be safe
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think you are confusing two percentages.

If you open CMX you see the total damage to the boss and adds on the left, usually you deal a small portion of your total damage to the adds. So this is not the percentage of group dps but a percentage of your own damage divided over multiple targets.

The dps meter that you see without opening CMX displays a percentage, this is your part of the total group dps. During PUG dungeon runs its not uncommon to see 60% here if you pull decent numbers, during PUG trails its also not uncommon to see something like 25%.

I dont know how accurate this metric is but its seems to be as simple as: total group damage done / your damage done
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer