The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Gold Master Writs (not Jewelry) no longer worth doing? PC-NA

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Someone threw away a Gold Clothier writ for 67 vouchers. Cost per voucher rated at over 850 by writworthy mainly due to the gold mats required.
Are gold writs no longer useful to do?
We've seen from Jewelry writs that inflating the voucher count isn't the answer to this.

I don't usually sell the mats I get through crafting so they are "free" but clearly that also means an opportunity cost from not trying to sell those mats.

Edited by Dusk_Coven on April 10, 2020 4:41PM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold Clothing Master writs (other than nirnhoned) are currently "borderline" to be worth doing because of the increase in cost of Dreugh Wax.

Gold Woodworking are still good to do (better than purple woodworking on a per-voucher basis, because Mastic is so expensive)

Gold Blacksmithing are great to do. I've had them as low as 160g/voucher if they are nirnhoned body pieces.

Gold Jewelry aren't the worst to do on a per-writ voucher basis either, especially the "upper tier" ones that are over 600 vouchers. (It's the "special trait" blue jewelry ones that are the poorest return)

Gold Enchanting are also still good to do because Kuta is cheap right now.

So, long story short, they ebb and flow. Right now, Dreugh Wax is high, so gold clothing master writs are only borderline to do.

* This is all predicated on making a "profit" from selling items with writ vouchers.

* If you are using these vouchers yourself, the cost parameters change a bit, and many of the gold clothing master writs then become worthwhile to do.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you farm your own mats, they are always worth doing.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »

Sometimes the materials themselves are worth more sold separately than they are combined into the master writ.

That can become the case here, with some of the master writs.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Ackwalan wrote: »

Sometimes the materials themselves are worth more sold separately than they are combined into the master writ.

That can become the case here, with some of the master writs.

67 vouchers isn’t worth it for a gold clothier writ but it would be for the other crafts. The clothing ones need to be over 200 for me to do them in gold.

Woodworking ones I only do in gold at this point. The purple ones aren’t worth it for 6-8 vouchers due to the price on Mastic, but the relatively small added price to put Rosin on top of it is well worth the high voucher value.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends upon where you are at in crafting. I am still buying plans from the voucher vendors so doing all master writs except for the special trait jewelry are worthwhile. I should also note I collect all of my own materials. If you have nothing left to buy for your own needs and are buying plans/crafting stations for sale then I think you need to consider which is better revenue from sales of plans or the individual materials.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends upon where you are at in crafting. I am still buying plans from the voucher vendors so doing all master writs except for the special trait jewelry are worthwhile. I should also note I collect all of my own materials. If you have nothing left to buy for your own needs and are buying plans/crafting stations for sale then I think you need to consider which is better revenue from sales of plans or the individual materials.

If writworthy says a gold clothier writ costs 850gold/voucher but a purple one costs a quarter of that... might you not lose money repeatedly listing that gold writ until it sells?
    If the price of dreugh wax doesn't go down things will start looking like jewelry writs.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on April 10, 2020 4:41PM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

If writworthy says a gold clothier writ costs 850gold/voucher but a purple one costs a quarter of that... might you not lose money repeatedly listing that gold writ until it sells?
    If the price of dreugh wax doesn't go down things will start looking like jewelry writs.

I feel like the price of Dreugh Wax is related to the nonstop instoduction of new sets and skill changes. All dps and healers in pve (and many in pvp) are in light and medium armor and are upgrading new sets and monster pieces with each update. Comparatively few heavy and wood pieces get upgraded regularly.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

I feel like the price of Dreugh Wax is related to the nonstop instoduction of new sets and skill changes. All dps and healers in pve (and many in pvp) are in light and medium armor and are upgrading new sets and monster pieces with each update. Comparatively few heavy and wood pieces get upgraded regularly.

That, and there's 3 times as many healers + DPS as there are tanks (assuming a standard 1-1-2 composition... 6 times as many for a raid compositions 2-2-8). So the demand for wax is somewhere between 3 and 6 times as great just on a base level.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use any addons. I don't think you can make a blanket statement that a MW is worthless and be done with them. I think each player needs to look at the writ, the current market and why they are researching the writ to determine what to do with it. I don't do Triune based jewelry since I don't PvP. I still check the price of Triune and Triune based writs whenever I get a MW calling for it before I decide what to do with the writ. Prices go up and down and who knows one day Triune might be so common players won't be able to give it away. ;)

Assuming I was at the point where master writs are being done for profit and not to learn plans I would look at the master writ sales price and sale prices of the needed materials in determining what to do with the MW. I would also consider what the vouchers could bring if their were used to buy and sell an item such as an attunable crafting station. If I decided selling the materials would net the most gold over selling or completing the writ I would still try to sell the MW but would price it to sell and not worry about getting the top price. After all at that point it is gravy on top of the other revenue. With Dreaugh Wax being where it is today I would likely sell the materials and low ball the MW. I might also complete the writ if it would take me to having enough vouchers to buy an attunable crafting station I could sell. In the future when Wax returns to its typical trading range I would go back to completing the writs.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Triune is like 100,000 AP if I remember correctly. I have a ton of AP but still can’t bring myself to buy it. It takes a long time to earn that much even if you PvP every day,

EDIT: By the way I got my first gold jewelry master writ the other day. I’m going to hold onto it for now. It was a lot of vouchers (can’t remember how many) but I don’t need them right now.
    Edited by katanagirl1 on April 11, 2020 5:10AM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may have gotten rid of it due to the style required to craft it. I always farm my own mats so prices of gold mats is irrelevant. They should have at least sold the writ.
    Edited by volkeswagon on April 16, 2020 11:26PM