Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Can someone offer me advice for a Templar?

Stormvessel
Stormvessel
✭✭✭
I prefer to play in either Daggerfall or Ebonheart. I prefer to be an exclusive healer, or at least as much as possible. I prefer Imperial - but would an Imperial be okay as a staff wielding healer? Which race would be best? Which abilities do you recommend? Stat point distribution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • loudent
    loudent
    ✭✭✭
    honestly, there are challenges being a Templar healer, but it can be done. You can play any race but without dark exchange you would be better served going with a race with either magicka cost reduction or magicka regeneration or magicka bonus.

I'd recommend taking the first aedric spear line skill just to aid in leveing (maybe the first couple in dawn's wrath.

I also suggest a healing staff even if you're going to use the Templar healing skill. The inherent magicka return on a hard "swing" will be a huge benefit and I think there are some passives that will help even if when using Templar healing

Stats are a weird thing. there's some prevailing theories that you should put all your points in health because there is no soft cap for that and that some skills and abilities scale upward to maintain a constant % cost of your pool. Meaning smaller pools with higher regen is better than anything else.

Also, you'll soft cap everything else eventually even if you never put a point into it.

I'm not doing that. I tend to put most in health but I spread it around some. I'm thinking that eventually they'll have to unlink costs as a standard percentage of your pool as that really requires you to metagame
  • Stormvessel
    Stormvessel
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, this is confusing. So I should dump all my stats into health because I can hit the soft cap for magicka and stamina anyway, and health has no soft cap? Therefore, retrospectively, one is already getting diminished returns from the very first level they dump points into magicka and stamina? Am I understanding this correctly? This is entirely confusing. Maybe I should build a tank.
    Edited by Stormvessel on April 18, 2014 10:12PM
  • loudent
    loudent
    ✭✭✭
    No, you won't hit the softcap the first point you put it, but you will reach the softcap, eventually, with equipment alone.

EDIT: I might be wrong about this. apparently putting points in your major skills increases the effectiveness of them so....I don't know any more :(
    Edited by loudent on April 18, 2014 10:15PM
  • Inactive Account
    Inactive Account
    ✭✭✭✭
    I, personally don't have a handle on the math involved, all I can tell you is what I do.

I put all my points into Health and "soft cap" out, either my Magicka or Stamina with appropriate Glyphs and food; It depends on which character / Class I am.
  • Stormvessel
    Stormvessel
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm...Maybe I will build an Argonian Healer. That's what I'll do. I hope Argonians are viable as Healers - I know they get the bonuses.

I am still confused about stat distribution and which skills I should take in addition to those on the healing branch.
    Edited by Stormvessel on April 18, 2014 10:39PM
  • loudent
    loudent
    ✭✭✭
    I would recommend taking biting jabs from the aedric spear branch and the first two abilities from the dawn's wrath. That gives you some good leveing skills. Later you can swap out. I would train both bow and healing staff. The bow works well wit the dawn's wrath abilities and the healing staff is good to use when you're using your healing skills (at 15 you can have two sets of weapons/abilities slotted and switch between them on the fly. My healer has an adventure weapon/skill set and a healing one.

Can't help you with attribute points other an an 1 2 0 ratio (i.e put 1 point in magicka and 0 points in stamina for every 2 points in health.
  • Stormvessel
    Stormvessel
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! That'll get me started on my way.