The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Bards as an Alternative to Theives/Pickpocketing

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
What if Bards and busking could be an alternative to accessing the same loot tables as Pickpocketing but in a non-illegal way as an alternative for people who don't want to be a criminal.

Suppose there's a Bard Skill Line where each passive skill unlocks a different type of minigame to reflect a type of performance (e.g., playing an instrument, performing a trick). You unlock what type of minigame/performance you want your Bard to do.
The more you invest in the skill line, the more intricate your performance can be (but with a longer and hence harder minigame). How well you do the minigame translates into a score.

During your performance, the game records the NPCs in range (who attended your performance?), and whether there was an overlapping performance that was complementary (partner?) or competitive (rival). Partners improve your performance slightly (duet? troupe? band?). Rivals improve each other's performance more IF you are both score approximately the same (interesting grudge match!) but reduce both if the difference in your scores are too different (distraction).

A separate passive locked by both skill and achievements might let you have Groupies/Fans, a guaranteed friendly audience to increase your score.

Based on the final calculation you get some loot -- mostly a few coins, but sometimes something interesting, just like Pickpocketing.
If a crowd is overworked, they'll give less loot or no loot because they've already given that loot away. And their loot availability is shared with any pickpocketing attempts that may have happened already.
Edited by Dusk_Coven on April 1, 2020 11:39PM
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love something in this vein. I like the idea that you can get more of the stuff by theft (hence the incentive to steal, just like irl) but it'd be nice if there was a legitimate way to get similar stuff.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still sounds a bit too bot-friendly to my taste but that's definitely better than some other similar ideas I've seen before.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting!
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting, but, the same loot tables as pickpocketing might be a bit strange. Not sure how I would feel about someone paying me for my performance by giving me their portable chamber pot.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Robo_Hobo wrote: »
    Sounds interesting, but, the same loot tables as pickpocketing might be a bit strange. Not sure how I would feel about someone paying me for my performance by giving me their portable chamber pot.

Less strange than pulling a portable chamber pot out of someone's pocket. That one is likely to be "pre-loved". while one in payment is more likely to be brand new.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on April 6, 2020 6:47PM