The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why Can't Destruction Staves Have Animations Like This?

TheMaos
TheMaos
✭✭✭
Dragon Age Inquisition has the most satisfying mage light attack animations i've seen a a game thus far
I really wish ESO animations could look like this, not only for mag but for stam too.
Why? Because lets be honest, ESO's animations for light and heavy attacks are pretty underwhelming, literally just a little poof.
I mean, seriously ESO's animations look so cartoony and make your character look like a doof, you character can't even swing a 2 handed sword without almost throwing their back out and letting go with one hand at the end... Don't get me started on one hand and shield, looks like your character was just hit with a flashbang and is fanatically swinging their weapon around blind.

Just take a look, here is an example of dragon age's animations for mage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvN9wU_s39Y

To end on a positive note, here are some in game animations I think are pretty good.
-One hand and shield: ransack
-One hand and shield: reverb
-Duel wield: twin slashes
-2 handed dizzy swing
-destruction staff ultimate cast
-resto staff ultimate cast
-Templar jabs
-necro scythe
-sorc negate cast
-dk wings
-nightblade cloaks
-warden frost healing
-warden trellis
-necro boneyard
-mag incap & tether
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The spin one would be cool for a heavy attack; better than the wind up and release on inferno and ice (which I've always found a bit 3 stooges). Not sure any of that would work for a channelled attack like lightning and restoration. Light attacks are fine as they are, flashy front and back sweeps aren't really necessary with the combat system: maybe for medium attacks? Half corkscrew spin for medium, full corkscrew for heavy...

In general though, DA combat is different, very different, weapon attacks are chained into combos with abilities on long cooldowns, unlike ESO where we use weapon attacks in between skills without cooldowns (aside from GCD).
    Edited by mairwen85 on March 31, 2020 12:47PM
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Because in ZOS servers, for every 10 persons performing those animations at the same time, lag in zone would increase 10%. :D

Edited by Dragonnord on March 31, 2020 12:46PM
    SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Relequen and some other NPC's already do a staff flip attack, sort of similar to the magDK whip flip, soit's already in the game. It would be so cool as a skill or set animation, but idk which skill or set to have that on
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • TheMaos
    TheMaos
    ✭✭✭
    Dragonnord wrote: »
    Because in ZOS servers, for every 10 persons performing those animations at the same time, lag in zone would increase 10%. :D

True
  • TheMaos
    TheMaos
    ✭✭✭
    mairwen85 wrote: »
    The spin one would be cool for a heavy attack; better than the wind up and release on inferno and ice (which I've always found a bit 3 stooges). Not sure any of that would work for a channelled attack like lightning and restoration. Light attacks are fine as they are, flashy front and back sweeps aren't really necessary with the combat system: maybe for medium attacks? Half corkscrew spin for medium, full corkscrew for heavy...

In general though, DA combat is different, very different, weapon attacks are chained into combos with abilities on long cooldowns, unlike ESO where we use weapon attacks in between skills without cooldowns (aside from GCD).

I agree, I was thinking something more like the flame clench or idk something similar when they use the staff and not just poke it in front of them would look cool. Something fast and simple enough to be a light attack but not just something as repetitive as the current one... especially if these light attack changes go through
  • MongooseOne
    MongooseOne
    ✭✭✭
    Why bother when canceling the animation is how to do proper DPS....
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheMaos wrote: »
    mairwen85 wrote: »

I agree, I was thinking something more like the flame clench or idk something similar when they use the staff and not just poke it in front of them would look cool. Something fast and simple enough to be a light attack but not just something as repetitive as the current one... especially if these light attack changes go through

I used to like the reach/clench animation, especially on flame reach, it had a satisfying 'golf pro' the enemy feel to it -- it feels very muted now the knock-back has been removed, and the animation just looks silly now, all that force behind it and nothing really happens.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it looks like an 80-90s action movie with martial arts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bATw_u_qao
  • TheMaos
    TheMaos
    ✭✭✭
    Why bother when canceling the animation is how to do proper DPS....

Unless you are bar swapping, usually the full light attack animation is still played.
    If you haven't noticed, animation cancelling has been basically removed all together aside from bar swap
  • TheMaos
    TheMaos
    ✭✭✭
    oh wait i see what you are saying, but still, when i do light attack or heavy attack, i'd rather see a better animation than a lil poof
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    honestly i think great and fun animations are one of the things that keep you long term engaged in combat and makes combat still fun after hundreds of hours....

Dragon Age was actually the first rpg series ever i can remember that introduced fun dynamic mage staff animations...
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just watched the first part and it looks like the characters are having convulsions.
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hell i wish elder scrolls would do the same magic in skyrim sucked.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does that mage not get dizzy from spinning so much. Only thing i like about that video is how smooth and lifelike the character animations are.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a bit too flashy tbh. Why would a mage have to fling their staff around super fast in order to cast a single spell when the average mage can just point their finger at you and unleash a lightning bolt?
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Lixiviant
    Lixiviant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please, don't add more animations! With my internet connection, it would only make things worse! :/
    PS4/PS5/NA - And sometimes EU

Daedroth might bite, just letting you know
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no thank you i've turned DA3 off after 30 min of stupid anime movements

maybe you should check some flashy asian games if you enjoy such animations
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno... Since this is a mmo type of game and single player are not even near in term of play hours, I think it would become extra annoying after s while and people would start to request as an option to switch it off.
    Game Devs need to find a balance between looking ok and not overdoing something.

There is a great comparison with red dead redemption 2 where everything is animated, se when the char is picking herbs, it is fully animated. Ofc it started to be annoying as people would like just to press the key and complete the action. They grow tired of animations.

So yeah, I think that staff waiving and spinning would become annoying as game time hours increases, and people would be, just fire FFS.

Edited by RefLiberty on March 31, 2020 6:18PM
  • Knightpanther
    Knightpanther
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No just No!

That looks awful, we don't want the game to descend further into some cartoonfest.

Be safe
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    That's a bit too flashy tbh. Why would a mage have to fling their staff around super fast in order to cast a single spell when the average mage can just point their finger at you and unleash a lightning bolt?

They got to get their cardio in somehow. After all, the stereotypical mage spends most of their time sitting on their butts in a library pouring over spell books...
    Edited by Starlock on March 31, 2020 6:37PM
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine if we could hold greatswords like this, but have it be a cosmetic override for a staff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHascR7JhNk
  • TheMaos
    TheMaos
    ✭✭✭
    I stated once, and will state again for those who have vision problems.
    I am not saying copy the animations all together or have them anywhere near as flashy.
    I am saying poking the air in front of you and a lil fire poof coming out of it looks dumb.
    I'm suggesting something like DA animations but a fit for ESO.
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knew this was going to be about DAI's animations before I clicked on it lol I agree that it's staff animations are a lot nicer, and more satisfying than eso's. In eso it's just kind of a pew pew type animation. Shame the servers probably wouldn't be able to handle something like that though.

Also to whoever thinks this looks like convulsions, what on earth does the animation cancelling in eso look like to you then? Because any time I watch a parse video it straight up looks like their character is having a seizure XD
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knew this was going to be about DAI's animations before I clicked on it lol I agree that it's staff animations are a lot nicer, and more satisfying than eso's. In eso it's just kind of a pew pew type animation. Shame the servers probably wouldn't be able to handle something like that though.

Also to whoever thinks this looks like convulsions, what on earth does the animation cancelling in eso look like to you then? Because any time I watch a parse video it straight up looks like their character is having a seizure XD

Servers have nothing to do with animations, the visuals, i believe, are client side.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even if we did have them the combat is build upon 1s GCD.
    So you'd never see these animations if you wanted to win.
    Edited by GeorgeBlack on April 1, 2020 5:13AM
  • MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah many of the animations in this game look pretty bad. I think the devs just aren't top of the line in the gaming industry. When you have some animations look good, but then a bunch that look really bad, I think that shows they don't care that much about it.
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragon Age Inquisition has the most satisfying mage light attack animations i've seen a a game thus far
    I really wish ESO animations could look like this, not only for mag but for stam too.
    Why? Because lets be honest, ESO's animations for light and heavy attacks are pretty underwhelming, literally just a little poof.
    I mean, seriously ESO's animations look so cartoony and make your character look like a doof, you character can't even swing a 2 handed sword without almost throwing their back out and letting go with one hand at the end... Don't get me started on one hand and shield, looks like your character was just hit with a flashbang and is fanatically swinging their weapon around blind.

Just take a look, here is an example of dragon age's animations for mage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvN9wU_s39Y

To end on a positive note, here are some in game animations I think are pretty good.
    -One hand and shield: ransack
    -One hand and shield: reverb
    -Duel wield: twin slashes
    -2 handed dizzy swing
    -destruction staff ultimate cast
    -resto staff ultimate cast
    -Templar jabs
    -necro scythe
    -sorc negate cast
    -dk wings
    -nightblade cloaks
    -warden frost healing
    -warden trellis
    -necro boneyard
    -mag incap & tether

I love dragon age and cannot wait until the next one. I also truly loved playing my mage in the last one but my Keeper in the first one was my favorite. Honestly I wish my warden had a skill like thornblades. It was so druidy lol.

With that said, not only do the auto attacks have cool animations which are engaging but so are the sounds. Combat sounds IMO mean a whole hell of a lot and a lot of ESO's skills are lacking that sound of impact. Turn up your volume and watch that video again paying special attention to the explosion sounds. You can hear the power in that lighting strike. No log into you mag character here and use force pulse or the majority of your mag skills. Pretty sad. There's a few abilities that have some power feel/sound such as meteor, upper cut, stonefist, northern storm, and perhaps a few others I've forgot. So yes we definitly need some of the animations redone but IMO the sounds need to be revamped to which will make the combat more engaging.

Here's Thornblades. I'd give this up for shalks any day!
    latest?cb=20190328190356
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Damn, you really made want to replay DAI, even just for Cassandra's acting.

Back to the topic. DAI had motion capture technology for the design of their characters. ESO went with sort of stylised, trying to guess how human body moves, awful animations. You can especially see it with the new emotes, how much their realism factor has changed over the years.

The problem is, if they had redone the animations one out of 10000 people would make an enormous deal out of it (it happened before).

So basically, anything in art department (including broken, unrealistic animations) is here to stay for good.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-necro boneyard

Those things doesn't match 🤨.

Edit: To clarify. A lot of people, myself included, strongly dislike the boneyard. Because it looks way too cartoony, cliché, and doesn't make much sense for an Elder Scrolls necromancer.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on August 17, 2020 12:18AM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

-necro boneyard

Those things doesn't match 🤨.

Edit: To clarify. A lot of people, myself included, strongly dislike the boneyard. Because it looks way too cartoony, cliché, and doesn't make much sense for an Elder Scrolls necromancer.

Isn't that true of the necromancer in general though? It's very pastiche, boo, spooky Halloween, naff, plastic decoration. The npc necromancer abilities already existed and did cool stuff, I don't know why they didn't just use the already existing assets, but add a few more...

Edited by mairwen85 on August 17, 2020 1:05AM