The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Should I learn the Trait Nirnhoned on my Alts for Master Writs drops chance... is it Worth it?

WiseSky
WiseSky
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I am wondering if its worth it or not if I buy them for all my alts....
Immersive Quests Addon
Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
List of Immersion Addons
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it worth it? Probably not.

If you have unreasonable OCD you may end up doing it anyway just because it will bother you if you don't.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My alts get master writs, but don't know all the traits. What matters is being level 50 on the crafts and knowing a decent amount of the complete motifs.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop rates for master writs are "achievement" based, so learning the nirnhoned trait for 1 item to get the achievement might not be the worst thing. Especially since you can do it with an armor piece, and fortified nirn is cheap.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is it worth it? Probably not. If you have unreasonable OCD you may end up doing it anyway...

Agree.

My alts only know 8 traits n I still get some master writs with them.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Drop rates for master writs are "achievement" based, so learning the nirnhoned trait for 1 item to get the achievement might not be the worst thing. Especially since you can do it with an armor piece, and fortified nirn is cheap.
    While we're on the topic: do achievements like Truly Legendary or the Legendary Crafter category count for anything?
    Edited by Tatanko on March 4, 2020 1:17PM
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tatanko wrote: »
    While we're on the topic: do achievements like Truly Legendary or the Legendary Crafter category count for anything?

AFAIK, no. Only achievements related to trait knowledge, motif knowledge, reagent properties, or rune translations.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the slight increase in Master Writs, meh.

Nirncrux is pretty cheap these days, less than 10% of what it used to sell for.

I would have the trait on shields and weapons as it has in the past been a good trait for those items. It kind of still is, unless you think 1% less sucks...

If course that only applies if you actually craft on your Alts. That is actually viable now with the outfit system
    Edited by Nestor on March 4, 2020 3:47PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have my main crafter with all traits. For my alts I stop at 8. Since I only craft for my own use or as a favor to guild members an extra Master Writ here or there doesn't make a big difference to me.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm voting half-way. I have two characters with a full Nirncrux line, and the others stop at 8 traits. There's a pecking order for who gets a motif page, with duplicates passing down the line. Everyone knows the nine racial styles, and usually a few others, like Barbaric. So a lot of the master writs don't need to be passed to the top crafter, saving a bit of time doing them. The ones who know the most full styles do get the most writs, so it's working as it should.

I filled the second character's ninth trait, because I had a surplus of Nircrux at the time, being at a peak of the drop randomness, and a trough in the writs using them up. Without that, I probably would not have done so.
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you afford, why not. In the long run they are not that expensive, at least if you get them only for you main crafter. By the time the research timer is over for one item you should have plenty of trait items if you do daily writs and get surveys from multiple chars (and do the surveys with your max level toon).

I got two chars that have maxed research, including nirnhoned. That's only because I switched crafting from my main to a dedicated crafter alt.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • xshatox
    xshatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    I researched it because I use it a lot for weapon but never use it for armor.
    I think for weapon it can be useful, not so much for armor.
  • Blacknight841
    Blacknight841
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer is yes, when I was comparing the writs I got on a 8 trait and 9 trait player, there was a noticeable difference.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I this that is the best way.

I really cant be bothered with 2M involvement and for all my characters and hope to get a return.

Thank you for all the responses !
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I decided not to - my main knows the lot, and she gets all the motifs as well. The alts get the 8 traits, but not nirn.

I don't see that the expense is justified. I haven't seen any difference in the drop of writs between the maxed out and the 8 trait characters...
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't make it a huge priority. Jewelry writs can be better if you don't need to buy your own Iridium.
    BUT
    if you regularly have more Transmute stones than you can use, then learn at least 1 Nirn weapon so you can transmute junk weapons into Nirn and decon to try to get the Nirncrux.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on March 11, 2020 7:59AM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot probably has to depend on your supply of Nirncrux, whether farmed or bought. Learning the trait on another character uses up both Fortified and Potent, and so do the writs you're trying to get. If you have a decent surplus, then learn the trait, if they're in short supply, don't.

And the "cost" of the Nirncrux is going to depend on whether you have an efficient harvester character, or buy from the Guilds, so the calculations keep pulling in extra factors. "Cost" can be time, or gold, or whatever else is important to you.
  • Isskander
    Isskander
    ✭✭
    to simplify Nirncrux can be worth only on 1 char as master crafter ... for other chars is waste of time and gold.
    I use that char only for
    - writs,
    - NMA set
    - some specific builds (mainly weapon)
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's important if you want to be able to craft any set in the game, ie the 9-trait sets. Once you have a character who can do that, it's up to you whether you want to harvest or buy enough nirncrux to repeat the research on other characters. Often it just comes down to convenience - whether or not you want to log into your main crafter to make any 9-trait sets or master writs asking for nirnhoned.