The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

DK petrify, the most broken skill in the game?

Fawn4287
Fawn4287
✭✭✭✭✭
It seems time after time again and again there is one skill that seems to keep me CCd for what seems like at least double the time that any other CC does. Its hard to break without lag, taking multiple attempts to actually regain control, in lag it seems near impossible to break compared any other CC in the game other than maybe fear occasionally. This ability is beyond broken and it is to do with how the CC is actually applied, it seems as thought you loose control of your character as soon as you are hit by the ability, however you are unable to break the CC until the buggy animation is complete and you are crouched down on the floor and your character model turns grey. In heavy lag its can be sometimes 2-3 seconds without the ability to break the CC, which in this game is essentially death without a strong HOT active. This skill needs a visual and mechanical rework or the animation removed.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the best such skill in the game, just like C Frags is for Sorcs, Sub Assault for Dens, Jabs for Plars, etc
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Solace1981
    Solace1981
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much any stun that has an animation attached to it is broken. If break free actually works, you still have to wait out the animation of the stun. It's an awesome design.
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minus the lag, fossilise has always worked in a way where you are CCed for a longer duration compared to other CCs. Lets not nerf the few things DK has left alongside one of the few good stuns in the game :smile:
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Never have a problem with it but then again I always roll dodge after a cc break
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Remember the skill when people say DK is bad...I don't even slot it and have little issue on my DK
  • Commandment
    Commandment
    ✭✭✭
    Correction, streak is the most OP skill in the game.
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sanctum74 wrote: »
    Never have a problem with it but then again I always roll dodge after a cc break

Try breakfree and dodge roll out of it in no-cp, especially as magicka character, it is 4872 + 3,654 stamina (probably higher i think break free is maybe 5.6k stamina, but that's the value i saw online)= 8526 average stamina to get rid of a simple skill, are we crazy? And it is spammed off cooldown when immunity goes off, and no way you recovered 8526 stamina again after few seconds.

it should be dodgeable same as rune cage, streak should have the same treatment and all the fears too.
    Or you give all classes stuns impossible to avoid, or you delete those anti-skill mechanics.
    If i dodge roll out of rune cage it's because i l2p, if i don't dodge it i get punished, and this is how it should be for all CCs.

Then do something for permablocks builds in PvP. If in PvP you hold block for more than 3 seconds you start losing health and get major vulnerability, so you won't have permablock kids abusing the mechanic, done.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t get how people have misinterpreted a bug fix thread as a nerf thread?
  • nublife01
    nublife01
    ✭✭✭✭
    if they nerf this ability magdk will be horrid. every class has a really strong ability tied to them. some are overtuned than others though i dont think this ability is that op in the slightest given magdk's other abilities. nbs have cloak magdks have cancer cc tomato tomato. sword and board on the other hand along with brp dw need some fat nerfs.
    Edited by nublife01 on March 25, 2020 7:54AM
  • nublife01
    nublife01
    ✭✭✭✭
    honestly they should nerf snb and release some new magicka weapon skill lines that are really offensively strong with the new expansion like 1h and spell-stone. that would be tight.
  • MaskedHuman
    MaskedHuman
    ✭✭✭
    funny, i always insta-cc break enemy fossilizes, never had any issues with it.
    Edited by MaskedHuman on March 27, 2020 3:42AM
    EP MagDK - Former emperor, Magplar - The Flawless Conqueror, StamDK - The merciless, Stamden - The merciless, MagNB, The merciless.
    DC MagDK (Main) The Flawless Conquerer, StamDK - The Flawless Conqueror, Stamden - Former emperor, Stamsorc - The merciless, Stamblade - The merciless, StamDK - The merciless, Stamplar - The merciless, Stamnecro, The merciless.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Solace1981 wrote: »
    Pretty much any stun that has an animation attached to it is broken. If break free actually works, you still have to wait out the animation of the stun. It's an awesome design.

It’s not just animations. I’ve noticed medium or heavy attack stuns on off balance targets freeze you for half a second to a second before it registers. You can’t break free during the freeze. It also rarely gives cc immunity after breaking free.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 27, 2020 3:45AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Solace1981 wrote: »

It’s not just animations. I’ve noticed medium or heavy attack stuns on off balance targets freeze you for half a second to a second before it registers. You can’t break free during the freeze. It also rarely gives cc immunity after breaking free.

Its the same when you cc break a knockback cc, it waits out the rest of the animation before you regain control even though you break it before your character model goes airborne
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The way I see it at least in terms of balance is that dks dont have an inherent execute. Stam dks can easily slot one but ever since the price hike on petrify a few patches ago, it's very hard to get mileage out of it on a stam build at least in no cp anyway.

Mag dks can use it more freely. It does hit stamina pools hard but its range makes it more of a risk to use (not by much). High damage magdk has to get into melee ish range for the kill when using it, or they are using leap as their kill combo which stuns already. Tanky magdks can throw out petrify frequently but without it they ability for lethal is almost non existent against a mildly resourceful pvp build with a little self healing. Throw cleanse into the equation and forget about it.

It's still the strongest single target stun in the game and there isnt anything wrong with that, especially when mag sorcs can blow people up from nearly 3x the distance.

Petrify is just one of those skills that feels entirely oppressive when its part of how you were killed but when it's not, no one even complains.
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the best such skill in the game, just like C Frags is for Sorcs, Sub Assault for Dens, Jabs for Plars, etc

Blastbones for necro,

Nothing for nb.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fawn4287 wrote: »
    I don’t get how people have misinterpreted a bug fix thread as a nerf thread?

Maybe you could name thread "Fossilize is bugged" instead of "Fossilize is broken"? When game worked normally, break free from fossilize was one of the easiest break frees and given that all stamina runs with shuffle and magicka with RAT, immobilize part was working not so often. From my experience immobilization happened at each second or third cast at best. Immobilization immunity uptimes are really high since U22.
  • yeyesil
    yeyesil
    ✭✭
    Nerf fozzilize or its other morph, nerf fears,nerf streak nerf everything till there are no stuns and counterplay in the game. Because of toxic people like you, we will have no varities and counterplay in this game. This game has a lot of problems because of your nerf requests. Cant you just try to learn the game and think about the counterplay for the classes?
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeyesil wrote: »
    Nerf fozzilize or its other morph, nerf fears,nerf streak nerf everything till there are no stuns and counterplay in the game. Because of toxic people like you, we will have no varities and counterplay in this game. This game has a lot of problems because of your nerf requests. Cant you just try to learn the game and think about the counterplay for the classes?

Im saying fix how consistently and quickly you can CC break the ability and you think making the game perform as intended is a nerf?
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a time when hunding and julianos were the meta and things were balanced then, sets like fury and NMA are probably at least 30% better than those and 200+ cp has been added yet there has been no adjustment, its the lack of appropriate nerfs that has caused the current ulti dump tank and heal tank meta. Would you prefer another broken pre nerf patch more? How about necro bash build or the triple proc set stamblade metas, people cried “no more nerfs!!!” then too.

[Edit to remove quote]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on April 7, 2020 6:26PM
  • JusticeSouldier
    JusticeSouldier
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems time after time again and again there is one skill that seems to keep me CCd for what seems like at least double the time that any other CC does. Its hard to break without lag, taking multiple attempts to actually regain control, in lag it seems near impossible to break compared any other CC in the game other than maybe fear occasionally. This ability is beyond broken and it is to do with how the CC is actually applied, it seems as thought you loose control of your character as soon as you are hit by the ability, however you are unable to break the CC until the buggy animation is complete and you are crouched down on the floor and your character model turns grey. In heavy lag its can be sometimes 2-3 seconds without the ability to break the CC, which in this game is essentially death without a strong HOT active. This skill needs a visual and mechanical rework or the animation removed.

i feel it's cc to come target before animation gives such feeling to both sides.
    this causes such feeling of long time in stun.
    also thinking that animation and firing off of the skill should be adjusted to be more synchronized.
    Edited by JusticeSouldier on April 8, 2020 4:46AM
    all classes. pc platform, dissapointed.
  • yeyesil
    yeyesil
    ✭✭
    yeyesil wrote: »

Im saying fix how consistently and quickly you can CC break the ability and you think making the game perform as intended is a nerf?

Because the name of the thread is petrify is broken??? You can say in this lag you cant breakfree immediatrly. In the past when game just worked as intended there were no problems like this. So the game just doesnt work now. It is not about petrify animation. Leap itself is worse than petrify to break free. But this is not the solution for this problem. Devs should solve this lag and delay problems.
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A good point you bring up for sure. I would counter that a DK’s leap more than qualifies as their powerful class gimmick.
  • nublife01
    nublife01
    ✭✭✭✭
    immovable potions. i prefer the ones with the crit so when they mash their safety blanket button.. heh magdk go night night.
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    There may be bugs associated with the skill, though I’ve not necessarily noticed them. That said, Fossilize is an extremely powerful skill—particularly in no-CP, where the double stamina drain from it is particularly oppressive. But MagDKs are not a particularly powerful class in PvP right now. Fossilize is one of the main things they have going for them, and so it actually makes the class more balanced as opposed to less balanced. In other words, while it may be OP if you compare it to other stuns, it is not OP when you put it in the context of the class that has access to it.