Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO's Performance Improvements Plan"

• vaidotas
    vaidotas
    PLEASE make option to play offline at least during corona season. my internet connection goes up and down because of poor connections during this madness, sometimes I just die because of low internet connection. I know it's online but, so much people will stop playing because my country have connectivity issues... make encrypted logs inside pc about player activities or something so that we should connect atleast once a day, and make companion options for dungeons. I'm just freaking out and I wanna play when I'm quarantined in home and few times per day or more game is totaly unplayable
  • csparks1
    csparks1
    ✭✭✭
    Thank god they are going to be working on optimization and stability for non combat pets. I was worried for a moment.

yea me too, I mean I know they are what is causing the cyro problems... just like the deer... and the rabbits.....

joerginger wrote: »
    Does anybody actually believe that there really is any kind of performance improvement plan? So far things have only become much worse. :(

Yes, the plan is for us to talk about it.

Just like them saying they want feedback on their ideas for light and heavy attacks... Does anyone believe they will listen?
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any update about current performance? Its worst than before!

Skill delay
    Skills don't work
    Position and health desync

2 weeks passed and we dont get any clue about whats going on
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gepe87 wrote: »
    Any update about current performance? Its worst than before!

Skill delay
    Skills don't work
    Position and health desync

2 weeks passed and we dont get any clue about whats going on

I would not say that we strictly don't know what is going on. We don't know the specifics. This is what we know, as of this week.
    Please note that while we are making progress on ability desyncs/lag and have ruled some things out, we are continuing our investigations which remain one of our top priorities.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote that this project be renamed "ESO's Performance Deterioration Plan" to more accurately describe its effects.
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Staff Post
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Having experienced your "combat ability improvements" first hand I can hardly wait to see how the "Server Optimisation & Stability" update goes.

With U25, while I am sure some things were fixed, you fundamentally broke Cyrodiil in ways I didn't think possible.

I would really love for you to sort the game out. The problem is, every time you touch the code you guys end up breaking more than you fix. If you carry on the way you are, the whole game will be unplayable by the time Greymoor drops.
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see this note:
    AoE Ability Performance on the Server: This work focuses on making these ability types more specialized so that they are more efficient on server performance. The code work is complete – data work has been shifted to Update 27. The current focus is on tracking down current issues on the live servers. Note: The overall player experience for these abilities (damage/functionality) should not change.

I appreciate that you are devoting the time of the engineers to this now. Thanks.
  • Jarrods32
    Jarrods32
    ✭✭✭
    Before moving forward with Quality of life can we get the last QoL and performance patch fixed ... so skill are actually usable and cast and dont look like moving in slow motion half the time
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we go back to Dragonhold? This patch isnt working.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    😂
    PC-NA
  • Drakhaon
    Drakhaon
    ✭✭✭
    Fix lags issues. Already 3 crash in 30 minutes in the raid tonight.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS right now is like:
    giphy.gif
  • Harmisol
    Harmisol
    Soul Shriven
    Quicker Loading times was nice the 1st week when the big download was completed, now it seems its even worse than before at times as in not an improvement at all. Dont get me even started about all the desync and the dc's....
  • danthemann5
    danthemann5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When does performance start to improve?
    ZeniMax has no obligation to correct any errors or defects in the Services.

Greetings! We've closed this thread due to its non-constructive nature.

"You know you don't have to be here right?" - ZOS_RichLambert
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When does performance start to improve?

Just after hell freezes over (maybe) :wink:
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    08gtgh9cyzxi.jpg
    I noticed they removed the bullet point "Server Optimization & Performance" from the Q1 update.
    Edited by Strider__Roshin on March 28, 2020 2:48AM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Any chance that the pet optimization will include a switch to make them completely not-exist? That'd probably squeeze out a bit more performance on client side at least. Also don't need to see any Assistants we can't interact with anyway.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on March 28, 2020 7:19AM
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At what point does zos's talk about performance improvements just become white noise?

For me it was quite some time ago. How can there be talk of improvements when each update there is demonstrable worsening performance.

Cyrodil is beyond a mess on pc and worse on other platforms. Block mechanics dont work at all at times, there is lag, aoe desyncs and that isnt including any bugs.

Its only one of their main priorities to fix the desync (how many weeks after a game breaking bug do we wait?).......the game half works so we have a glass have full?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it was quite some time ago. How can there be talk of improvements when each update there is demonstrable worsening performance.

If this stuff was easy, they would not have plans going out into next year. If this was easy, it would already be done.

We are going to see all the stumbles and mistakes that they make, simply because they iterate over these changes and release them quarterly, rather than waiting several months, or years, and springing them on us all at once. It is more stressful when they do it this way, but we also get a lot more say in what happens in the next iteration. I find this much better than waiting 2 years and having no input into what is happening until the very end.

For all people complain about "ZOS never listens", we do have an extraordinary amount of input into how this game changes. This month, they ramped that up to the next level with this combat change testing on PTS. This is the first time we have been able to really play with and comment on potential upcoming game changes before they got cast in stone.
  • KappaKid83
    KappaKid83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    08gtgh9cyzxi.jpg
    I noticed they removed the bullet point "Server Optimization & Performance" from the Q1 update.

I was also going to ask this question after I went back and looked at the previous versions of the performance updates. Any insight on why that was taken out @ZOS_SarahHecker ?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KappaKid83 wrote: »
    08gtgh9cyzxi.jpg

I was also going to ask this question after I went back and looked at the previous versions of the performance updates. Any insight on why that was taken out @ZOS_SarahHecker ?

If I can guess, since Q1 has already been delivered, they are mitigating the "I thought you said ... " responses, given current problems with that.
  • KappaKid83
    KappaKid83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    08gtgh9cyzxi.jpg

If I can guess, since Q1 has already been delivered, they are mitigating the "I thought you said ... " responses, given current problems with that.

This makes sense, I just wanted to see if they could give a technical explanation or have someone from the team working on all of these changes come on and give us some sort of explanation as to what is going on with that.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me lies
    sweet little lies...

Yet again the 'real' issue is put back (and back)..

and out of the 4 'now live' only 1 actually has happened, the other 3 have not changed or have got worse (on high end kit)...

“Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Icarus42
    Icarus42
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen major improvements in game performance.. I only play early in the morning or really late at night. Game runs like butter. Thanks me.
    Ebonheart Pact - PC NA - Magicka Sorcerer
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    08gtgh9cyzxi.jpg

This makes sense, I just wanted to see if they could give a technical explanation or have someone from the team working on all of these changes come on and give us some sort of explanation as to what is going on with that.

If I had to guess: When they did the block changes, the solution that they came up with did not scale from the bots used for testing to several thousand players actually playing the game. The result was an overall performance degradation. This was unexpected. They are looking into understanding why this is happening and working on a fix.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still waiting for an update where I will actually experience an improvement of any kind.
    I'm not saying what they have done thus far is useless, it _likely_ had a positive effect on something, but personally as a player, the game still runs like a crap to me. Of course, eight years old CPU (even if high end one and overclocked) is not up to today's standards, but then again, the technology the game runs on is even older, so I don't see any reason why older hardware shouldn't see any improvements.
    Oh well, next update it is (I know I said this about the current one) or I'm really done (there's always Skyrim to go back to).
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally every time you guys try to "fix" or fundamentally change the code, you break things in ways that you seem unable to revert. Your combat improvement patch has given us the WORST combat we've seen in years, and that is saying something.

[Snip]. By the end of the year when we've gone all the way through your performance upgrades and we're faced with the worst performance the game has ever seen, people will look back fondly on patches from the past year where the game was already running poorly.

[Edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on March 31, 2020 2:46PM
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First of all, I would think there are some sort of metrics that track the number of players on the megaservers, and would be able to detect if large numbers of players get disconnected and/or get loading screens in places like Cyrodiil that send the entire faction back to the wayshrine at the gates, which has happened to me more frequently lately. If there is not, then those metrics should be put in place immediately so someone can track them.

Also, some testing at ZOS should be done through a computer that goes out through the firewall using a disc and/or digital copy of ESO and back via an external internet connect that simulates what we as players have to use. Otherwise, testing on a dedicated internal connection to a local computer is not indicative of whether the player experience is good or not.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After mass crashes on Pc EU yesterday we raided with the 8 remaining ppl and it was such a *** smooth game play. Nothing bugged, skills fired instantly. If u keep on *** up more then before and ppl leave, it will be the best performance plan u could get.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert
    Edited by actosh on March 31, 2020 5:04PM