The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would you on PC EU/NA enter a showcase (not a contest) that gave every serious entrant 100,000 gold?

StabbityDoom
StabbityDoom
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I'd like to put up a showcase of a particular theme, such as "Spring holidays" - and show off all the entrants on stream. Every single serious entrant would receive 100,000 gold (by serious I mean a certain number of items and looks like you actually tried, not just a storage house.) Would you do something like this? I would intent to use broad themes and it really would be just an excuse to look at pretty houses.
Edited by StabbityDoom on March 17, 2020 2:10PM
PC/NA
EHT zealot
streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom

Would you on PC EU/NA enter a showcase (not a contest) that gave every serious entrant 100,000 gold? 40 votes

Yes!
80%
theskymovesdarthgummibear_ESOCatsmoke14SharaleiAjaxandrielInaMoonlightswankeryDirtybyrdLarianaTheImperfectSofiDesuneSeminolegirl1992Sir Tanks a lotTonyRockaroniJaraalStabbityDoomKiyakotariTezzaadazeeskrvbb10rd 32 votes
No, that's not enough gold
2%
Hymzir 1 vote
No, I don't have time in my life for that anymore
2%
Xerikten 1 vote
No, other
15%
SturmfaengerghastleyKittytravelThoragaalCMDR_Un1k0rnRinthetharmo 6 votes
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, other
    Two reasons for "other": firstly, I don't want to be subject to anyone else's assessment of "serious", and secondly, the gold doesn't matter - if it's worth showing, show it.
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes!
    The serious part is just literally not submitting an empty house or storage house
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • Sturmfaenger
    Sturmfaenger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, other
    Hm. If you would use the concept, you should always find people to participate. No one says no to a pile of gold.

The idea of themed housing tours is a nice one, but if I'd do it, I would first try it without the offer of gold. Only if no one responded and I absolutely wanted to do it that way anyway, then I would perhaps think about offering amounts of gold.

I think there are many enthusiasts in housing that look forward to new housing adventures anyways. So my opinion: neither you as a housing tourguide nor the housing community absolutely needs such fees, and I would not want to start a new trend aka "I have a great house, but I only let you visit for GOLD!"

That housing is a very expensive hobby is a valid point. That housing enthusiasts or fascinated beginners could need gold is also true. But perhaps there would be other ways to try to support those people. A "housing school" with some exercises and then a (smaller) amount of gold to spend for the last themed "exam" or something perhaps.
    Edited by Sturmfaenger on March 17, 2020 5:44PM
    PC/EU
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes!
    Heh I have a spring/magical garden themed primary on NA, and heck I could use another 100k for furnmats, wouldn't turn that down :D
    Edited by InaMoonlight on March 17, 2020 5:50PM
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would get better results if you had an entrance fee of 100k and a reward of 100-200k for "serious entrants".
    The entrance fee would guarantee serious entrants, unless they don't mind losing 100k.
  • seecodenotgames
    seecodenotgames
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes!
    Well it costs me more to furnish these houses than most prizes, and I probably wouldn't win anyway, so this would be more fun and less pressure.
    Houses on PC EU (newest first)
    • 62. Sand Castles (Fogbreak Lighthouse) - A literal life size sand castle
    • 61. Riften Meadery (Old Mistveil Manor) - A new meadery has opened outside Riften
    • 60. Helene's Writing Room (Golden Gryphon Garret) - A small room for Helene to get some quiet writing time
    • 59. Picnic at Pelin (Black Vine Villa) - Based on the lore book Picnic at Pelin (A Horror Story)
    • 58. Almalexias Temple (Forsaken Stronghold) - A Dunmer Tower with a shrine to the three
    • 57. Pirate New Life For Me (Highhallow Hold) - A pirate tavern where they gift you loot
    • 56. Woodvine Cathedral (Agony's Ascent) - A living cathedral thriving in the Deadlands
    • 55. Dark Elf Town House (Quondam Indorilia) - A small and cosy town house on the edge of Mournhold
    • 54. The Secret Tower (Exorcised Coven Cottage) - A hidden mage tower in the swamps on the Hag Fen
    • 53. Knight Club (Frostvault Chasm) - A disco in a dwarven mineshaft
    • 52. Dwemer Cave City (The Erstwhile Sanctuary) - A lost dwarven city has been found deep underground
    • 51. Alinor Gryphon Aerie (Colossal Aldmeri Grotto) - A place where gryphons are trained
    • 50. The Charred Towers (Doomchar Plateau) - Deadlands themed fortress with two towers and custom furniture
    • 49. Argonian Sea Town (Tel Galen) - An Argonian sea port
    • 48. Daedric Princess Tower (Seaveil Spire) - An underwater tower dedicated to the Daedric Prince Meridia
    • 47. Fargrave Observatory (Ossa Accentium) - An observatory in the portal realm of Fargrave
    • 46. Hundings Beach House (Hundings Palatial Hall) - Beach house and hottub
    • 45. Crystal Gardens (Snugpod) - Enchanted Gardens with crystalline trees
    • 44. Dawnlight Health Spa (Princely Dawnlight Palace) - Our spa waters are revitalising and ready to heal your aching body
    • 43. Mountainside Retreat (Pariah's Pinnacle) - An orc mountainside hall with an amazing view
    • 42. Volcanic Vile Villa (Kushalit Sanctuary) - A private hollowed out volcano for all your mad alchemist needs
    • 41. Arenthian Water Temple (Strident Springs Demesne) - A relaxing water temple outside Arenthia
    • 40. Woodland Cottage (Ald Velothi Harbor House) - A house in a tree, but not a treehouse
    • 39. Winter Snow Meadhall (Enchanted Snow Globe Home) - A winter meadhall has opened to get everyone in the festive mood
    • 38. Fire and Ice Hotel (Elinhir Private Arena) - An new hotel has opened with an ice bar and a lava room
    • 37. City of Princes (Pantherfang Chapel) - Citadese is under attack from a dragon invasion. Prince Tarvia is leading the escape through the sewers.
    • 36. Dark Brotherhood Home (Stay-Moist Mansion) - A Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary found beneath an Argonian village
    • 35. Volkihar Courtyard (Velothi Reverie) - A castle courtyard modelled on the famous Volkihar Castle in Skyrim
    • 34. Rada's Summer Getaway (Potentate's Retreat) - A Redguard mansion with a dark vampiric secret in the basement
    • 33. Cascadia Wine N Dine (Sweetwater Cascades) - Vineyard and meadery with two restaurants and a chapel
    • 32. Walled Kitchen Garden (Amaya Lake Lodge) - Fresh produce and cut flowers for sale. Hot food served in a family restaurant.
    • 31. Luckycat Summerhouse (Lucky Cat Landing) - A khajiiti villa with spa and dining
    • 30. Helene's Boutique (Water's Edge) - The famous dressmaker has opened a new dress shop in town
    • 29. Alinor Garden Party (Mathiisen Manor) - A party in the flower gardens of a Altmer noble's manor
    • 28. Markarth Bath House (Stone Eagle Aerie) - A relaxing spa and bath house with an arts and craft centre
    • 27. Treeboat house (The Gorinir Estate) - No one know how an imperial ship ended up in the treetops
    • 26. Varlaisvea College (Varlaisvea Ayleid Ruins) - An ancient library has been discovered deep inside an Ayleid ruin
    • 25. City on the Moon (The Orbservatory Prior) - Moonbase with housing and an inn under the stars
    • 24. Lakemire Water Gardens (Lakemire Xanmeer Manor) - Relaxing hanging gardens and a fish restaurant beneath the Xanmeer
    • 23. Hircine's Hunt Club (Hunters Glade) - A relaxing villa for werewolves to feast in the ever refilling hunting grounds
    • 22. Lost Dwarven Kingdom (Shalidor’s Shrouded Realm) - A lost Dwemer king's palace has been found in a mage's pocket realm
    • 21. Replaced with 54. The Secret Tower
    • 20. Topal Fishing Resort (Grand Topal Hideaway) - A resort in the middle of a fishing lake on a private island
    • 19. Castleton Manor (Alinor Crest Townhouse) - The home of Lord Castleton and his daughter Sonja
    • 18. Cave of BBQ N Ribs (Earthtear Cavern) - A secret rocky dome, hosts a BBQ and ribs restaurant
    • 17. Who Lived in a Shoe (The Ample Domicile) - There was an old reach witch who lived in a shoe
    • 16. Dwemer Party Tower (Hall of the Lunar Champion - Lion's Cradle) - A dwarven flying tower repurposed for parties
    • 15. A Taste of Alinor (Sleek Creek House) - A small piece of Alinor beside a creek
    • 14. Lava Submarine Base (Bastion Sanguinaris) - An evil vampire alchemy lab, accessible only via a lava submarine
    • 13. Spirit-tree Library (Wraithhome) - A library built atop an ancient forest within an ancient Daedric ruin
    • 12. Golden Beach Palace (Thieves' Oasis) - A dwarven inspired Redguard beach resort
    • 11. Mad Scientists House (Cyrodilic Jungle House) - Workshop and garage with an experimental De-lore-ean
    • 10. Big Toy House (Antiquarian's Alpine Gallery) - Two life sized doll's houses and a inn beneath the stairs
    • 9. Icy Falls Inn (Forgemaster Falls) - Two Nord lodges on a lake, serving mead and fresh fish
    • 8. Blue-ice Palace (Stillwaters Retreat) - Solitude, but on a frozen lake
    • 7. Mushroom Manor (Coldharbour Surreal Estate) - Dunmer house built from giant mushrooms
    • 6. Vampire Academy with wine bar (Daggerfall Overlook) - Come for the nibbles; stay for eternity
    • 5. Three Pillows War (Grymharth's Woe) - Re-enact the three banners war with pillow forts and floof balls
    • 4. Treefern House (Moon-sugar meadow) - Giant treefern treehouse
    • 3. Artaeum Theatre/Opera housel (Grand Psijic Manor) - Tiered Balcony
    • 2. Imperial Bridal Suite (Linchal Grand Manor) - Wedding venue with bridal suite extension
    • 1. Dragonguard Penthouse (Jode's Embrace) - 3 Extra floors, with indoor conservatory and top floor gym
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes!
    100k is a huge amount of gold for someone who doesn't regularly use guild stores or is unlucky enough to be in guilds with stores in less popular locations.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    dazee wrote: »
    100k is a huge amount of gold for someone who doesn't regularly use guild stores or is unlucky enough to be in guilds with stores in less popular locations.

I'm not so sure. The demographic in question theoretically already has enough furnishings for a contest. If you're at that stage of the game, I think 100k isn't much.
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, other
    I put no not because I wouldn't enter but because I think that someone at that stage in the game who decorates houses to meet a theme isn't exactly hurting on gold.

I'd almost prefer that gold go towards giving a new player a free house imo; each entry to the competition puts 100k into the pool, and then you raffle off that gold by offering players their home that they don't have yet, perhaps up to the Medium sized homes depending on prize pool? That way it gets more people into housing by offering them a house they want but perhaps can't reach yet or for a bit or they aren't good at making gold.

It's hard to figure out the logistics on that I acknowledge though. Figuring out what players are being truthful about not having a home/only apartments and players that are just seeking out the free gold.

Either way I like the idea of an "everybody wins" competition that just celebrates the spirit of decoration and housing as much as I enjoy the idea of competitions that look for the best-of-the-best.
  • Sharalei
    Sharalei
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes!
    I believe myself to be a "serious" decorator/designer, in that I don't just throw a few things together, and would put 100% effort into a home for display.

For me to design a house usually costs more than 100k gold, usually a lot more. Added to that, I'm not by any stretch of the imagination gold rich. In fact, I struggle from house to house.

So, a big fat YES from me! :)
    Edited by Sharalei on March 17, 2020 11:52PM
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one else enter and im in.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes!
    yodased wrote: »

no love
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes!
    Every single serious entrant would receive 100,000 gold
    Yes, but wow how much rich in game are you?! XD

TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe.

Depends what the exact theme is, to be honest.

I might enter a contest which just happened to (at least vaguely!) fit the theme of a house I had already done, or that I would like to do (and then keep that way).

But, I would be less likely to create a small area in a house, which I then had to dismantle again, to do something else and I would definitely not do, or redo, a house in a way I didn't like, or intend to keep after the contest ended.

Mostly because of the sheer amount of time and gold involved to create something which is only temporary.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    dazee wrote: »

I'm not so sure. The demographic in question theoretically already has enough furnishings for a contest. If you're at that stage of the game, I think 100k isn't much.

It's still a lot for me - or, is at the moment, anyway.

I mean, obviously, I spend far more on furnishing a house than that, but it's still fairly slow to build up again and gets worse, as the things I get in drops are worth less and less, towards the end of the xpac.

I made about 1.1 million, recently and then blew it all on two greenhouses and a lot of trees...

Was down to about 6K on sunday and only have about 70K, now. :lol:

Most I have ever had is about 2 million, I think?

Too many things to spend it on.

Houses, furnishings, materials...
    Edited by Tigerseye on March 18, 2020 5:53AM
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes!
    :D

jnb0pthpawq9.png
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • DJfriede
    DJfriede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    Maybe.

I might enter a contest which just happened to (at least vaguely!) fit the theme of a house I had already done, or that I would like to do (and then keep that way).

But, I would be less likely to create a small area in a house, which I then had to dismantle again, to do something else and I would definitely not do, or redo, a house in a way I didn't like, or intend to keep after the contest ended.

I second that sentiment. I try to build houses as one piece with one general theme and a common "flow" to everything that is in that house. Rarely do I come across a contest that fits for my existing houses. And I'm unlikely to have a house full of little separate pieces for different contests.

To answer your particular question, @StabbityDoom , 100k is a substantial amount for a lot of people. I'm afraid that you would get a LOT of homes in your showcase that are put together quickly and with little effort. Not trying to sound mean, but there would be many "filler" homes to tour with the occasional gems among them. Not sure if I would watch a stream with 30+ so-so entries.

• yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »

no love

Nothing but.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes!
    Yes but it's harder for people with less time and ESO resources.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, other
    The serious part is just literally not submitting an empty house or storage house

I wish I scrolled down before casting my vote.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Sir Tanks a lot
    Sir Tanks a lot
    ✭✭✭
    Yes!
    Something like this would probably be a great way to get more players interested in housing and maybe even further motivate existing builders and designers.
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes!
    Absolutely yes. When I was doing digital art all the time I would often look to things of this nature as inspiration to get the juices flowing if I was experiencing a block. Plus, it's always good to delve into something you might not have otherwise just so you don't get stuck in the creative rut of doing the same thing all the time.
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes!
    I would absolutely love to do something like this!
  • Vulsahdaal
    Vulsahdaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually dont participate in contests, but on the very few occasions that I do, its because the theme interests me- not the amount of gold given away.

This said, the idea of handing out gold just to enter just doesnt sit right with me. It gives off a sort of bribery and desperation vibe, which will often attract the type of entrants that you dont want.

I get why you dont want to make a standard contest of it, where some are reluctant to be judged on their work or dont enter in fear of getting the fewest votes, and are trying to make it a more fun and relaxing experience.

Im thinking maybe a better idea may be a raffle at the end of the tour, exclusively for the homeowners/builders. The prize amount(s) could be fixed ahead of time or based on the amount of submissions.

This way it may be less attractive to people who will throw just anything together in order to get some guaranteed gold, and hopefully more attractive to those who are interested in the work and having others view it in a non-competitive way. Not to mention sparing you the task of having to decide who is "serious" and who is not.

Just my thoughts on this..
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    Maybe.

Depends what the exact theme is, to be honest.

Mostly because of the sheer amount of time and gold involved to create something which is only temporary.

I also agree with @Tigerseye on this one. I don't decorate houses just for a contest to dismantle them again soon after. Housing is way too expensive for that.
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a showcase where all qualifying entries are treated equally rather than a contest where they're judged against each other and winners are chosen. That would persuade me to enter.

But I don't have the time or inclination to decorate a house specifically for a contest, especially if it means stripping out what I've already done with it (I wish it was possible to have multiple copies of the same house!) so I'd probably only enter if an existing house fit the theme.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Xerikten
    Xerikten
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't have time in my life for that anymore
    would cost more than what I would get