The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

High Ping/jumping ping

Johny29_SK
Johny29_SK
✭✭
Hello Guys, I want to ask you, if somebody else have really massive ping jumping like from 80 to 999+. I cannot raid atm, game, specially raids are unplayable since ca 2 weeks ago.

# to Tech Support: I reinstalled the whole PC, disabled all addons. My speed meter shows me 14ms ping, Download and upload is like usual. Wrote already ticket, still waiting for a answer :neutral:

What can I do more pls ?
  • Thorvarg
    Thorvarg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can't do anything, because it's on the serverside, a Zenimax problem and it's well known.

Btw., you know, this is the German forum. ;)
  • owlmirror
    owlmirror
    ✭✭
    Hello @Johny29_SK
    Ping related problems can occure anywhere between your computer and the gameserver.

Reasons for ping jumping on your computer:
    - Background downloads from other programs (like Windows Update, Anti-Malware, Youtube Videos, ...)
    - (unusual) firewall/router settings
    - People at home using the same internet connection (for facebook, netflix, or other games etc.)
    - Downloads / Updates on mobilephones, consoles, other devices
    - (if you are connected via WLAN) People running between computer and wlan-router. If you want best performance do not use WLAN for gaming at all.

To check everything is alright (from your side) you could make an online speed test (several times) and check if you have a high ping sometimes.
    Or (easier if you just want to monitor your ping) Press START + R, enter "cmd" in the pop-up, press enter
    write
    ping -t www.google.de
    (i use google because they have so much load balancing that they have most likely no problems with ping but you can use any other "big" internet site ; the -t makes the ping infinite, so it won't stop pinging google unless you press Ctrl+C)
    You can simply check now your ping in the console window.
    If you find now evidence of high pings during e.g. 30min you have most likely no problems on your computer.

Reasons for ping jumping in the network
    - Many users with up-/ and download (since corvid-19 there are more people at home)
    - ISP releated problems (network overload, DDoS, node-failure, etc.)
    (you can not do much if this is the case. You can just change your Inter Service Provider (ISP))

Reasons for ping jumping on a Server
    - Many users
    - suboptimal load balancing
    - software bugs
    - software optimisation

(ZOS is the only one who can help you then)

Hope i could help you. If you have monitored your ping without playing ESO and it gets high by almost no reason i can help you identifying the issue.

Enjoy your weekend!

owlmirror
    Edited by owlmirror on March 20, 2020 6:06AM
  • Johny29_SK
    Johny29_SK
    ✭✭
    Thanks a lot guys for the answers.

I tried all of those options, everything looks normal. Unfortunately I need to say, today at 09:00 am the game works fine, from 12:00 today started the ping jumping to 999+, so its definitely on the side of ZOS :( in my opinion.

thanks a lot

best
    Johny
  • owlmirror
    owlmirror
    ✭✭
    I recommend checking the ping again when the ping jumping in ESO occurs.
    If you check at 9 am you just get mesaures of 9 am.
    So when you have trouble shut down ESO right away and measure ping over 10min via cmd.
    Only with these method you can make sure it is absolutly not your* fault.
    (* i mean it is not a fault related with your side of connection)

All i can say is that your ping is related to the amount of users (at your home, network and/or gameserver)

Usually if it is a gameserver problem there would be many players with the same problem.

If your ISP (Internet Service Provider) has a problem you can check websites with network disturbances.
    They usually have life-reports/results.

Have a nice day!

owlmirror

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been going on with PVP in Cyrodiil for years and just swept under the rug because it didn't hurt other people's games who did not PVP in Cyrodiil. Now it sounds like its hitting raids and you'll get people who dont raid or PVP in Cyrodiil; sweep it under the rug and say "all fine here." They'll even tell you that it's your computer or internet connection. Never mind if its stuff that had worked fine before ZOS made changes.

We'll see how everyone likes it as it gets bad enough to effect lower and lower system stress activity.
  • Julia_Nix
    Julia_Nix
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same thing lately on both NA and EU. I think it is because everyone is home right now due to the COVID-19 situation and the servers cant handle so many players at once.
  • Johny29_SK
    Johny29_SK
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys for you comments and help.

Probably the High ping is really of the situation of the Corona quarantine. How ever, I solved the problem, at least for now with a VPN.

thanks a lot

play safe :)

Johny