The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Cyrodiil Performance fix ?

Fi'yra
Fi'yra
✭✭✭
ZOS Logic . . .

How to fix cyrodiil lag:
Cause Cyrodiil related crashes so there aren't enough players online to cause any lag

New patch, new problem(s)

How has your experience been this patch?
Edited by Fi'yra on February 28, 2020 6:29PM
AD - PC/EU
Get Wrobled
  • Firebrand10
    Firebrand10
    ✭✭✭
    Horrible
  • Giljabrar
    Giljabrar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Horrible

Don't worry, the fixed the crashes. Only now, it takes about 1.5 seconds to break free. You can't cast a skill for about 2 seconds after a dodgeroll. Good luck with any channeled/cast time skills ever going off, or getting stuck in their animations. AoE abilities failing to register, honestly I would rather be crashing every time I go through a load zone. At least then I could stand stay in an area and actually use skills :neutral:
  • LoreToo
    LoreToo
    ✭✭✭
    2 chairs: one with horrible lags other with evey-five-minutes disconnects. Now choose
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They fixed the crashes, I am glad for that

However lag is even worse, skills dont even fire and your character swings weapon like an idiot
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LoreToo wrote: »
    2 chairs: one with horrible lags other with evey-five-minutes disconnects. Now choose

I'd rather the crashes. It only affected zerg surfing and rewarded groups for holding objectives.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoreToo wrote: »

I'd rather the crashes. It only affected zerg surfing and rewarded groups for holding objectives.

Not sure about crashes affecting zerg surfing but it's clear the lag makes it more effective to zerg with lots of stun and root spam. By the time you break free or roll dodge, your immunity timer is gone.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looked like to me ZOS reverted the performance increase as the solution to the crashing.

Before the patch, it did feel like performance was better (though it was hard to tell because I crashed every 10 mintues).

Last night felt like same old same old.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Last night I logged in, hopped on my mount and as soon as I got to bleakers everything stopped working, people/sieges didn't move at all. A minute later I was disconnected.

Before the patch it felt like performance was better. After the patch, the game play felt worse. I know it is too early to tell but last night seemed sluggish.

Edited by vamp_emily on March 3, 2020 2:22PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• MinnesotaKid
    MinnesotaKid
    ✭✭✭
    Last night was horrible in cyro. Our group encountered bad lag, player position desyncs, rollbacks, skills not firiing, and people disconnecting. Not sure what Zos did or did not do but cyro last night was much worse than prior to the patch on Monday.

I would much rather have the performance we had last week, even including the 20 minute disconnect timer that seemed to be in place than what we experienced last night.

Zos, you have a limited window here. The people in my guild are growing frustrated with this mess and your promises to fix it.

PC/NA Gray Host
    Edited by MinnesotaKid on March 3, 2020 2:56PM
    MinnesotaKid

• Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GinaBruno would appreciate if someone from the team could let us know what's up with the loss of performance between the 2 patches(wrathstone release and the crash fixes). Just because of player population or something was reverted?
    Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on March 3, 2020 3:35PM
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • TragedyOA
    TragedyOA
    ✭✭✭✭
    Time to move on from this game.
  • sandblack
    sandblack
    ✭✭
    they can fix it.

they can do whatever they did during midyear mayhem.

(and no, they didnt just spread everyone out because all servers were full with qeues and still less lag)
  • asneakybanana
    asneakybanana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sandblack wrote: »
    they can fix it.

they can do whatever they did during midyear mayhem.

(and no, they didnt just spread everyone out because all servers were full with qeues and still less lag)

MYM was less laggy for a couple reasons, there were likely fewer players playing in Kaal due to the fact that many people afk macro'd at the gates in order to avoid the Q. Another factor is many of the organized guilds that typically play on Kaal had moved to other campaigns since they had equal population and did not want to deal with the for their group members. This left far less organized groups fighting each other which usually means less load on the servers. Also I doubt ZOS will every confirm this but I suspect the pop caps on non Kaal campaigns are lower as when my group would go there we would often be struggling to find fights even if the campaign was locked pop.
    Asneakybanana AD DK Former emperor of Chrysamere and Chillrend. World first hardmode Hel'ra and Quake con winner (Alliance rank 25)
    Asneakyhabenero EP DK Former emperor of Thornblade, Haderus. World first vMA Dk clear (Alliance rank 39)
    Asneakycucumber EP Sorc Former empress of Blackwater Bay and Trueflame (Alliance rank 32)
    Asneakypineapple EP Temp Former empress of Azuras Star and Haderus (Alliance rank 22)
    Asneakypickle EP NB Former empress of Trueflame (Alliance rank 47)
    Sweat Squad
    Crowned 27x on 12 different campaign cycles | 200M+ AP earned
    Fastest AA clear ever: 5:42 | Fastest HRC clear ever: 5:27 | NA first HM MoL
    609k Mag Sorc vMA
    NA first Tick Tock Tormentor
    NA first trinity (All No Death/HM/Speed run trials titles)
    2x Tick Tock Tormentor
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Soul_Demon on March 4, 2020 8:30PM
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_Gilliam @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_RichLambert

After a full week of crashes every five min, could we get some timeline for action on the "new" problems introduced? After dealing with that- we were put into a worse state ......

Edited by Soul_Demon on March 4, 2020 8:32PM
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    bump bump bump boop
    DC NA - Norri - Khole RIP - [Mostly Outnumbered]** I have too many toons **RIP every alt I deleted - where am I? what year is it?
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's junk
  • Crown
    Crown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During midyear mayhem performance was amazing, though the render lines that people get caught on were in different places. This is pure speculation, but what I believe happens is as follows:
    • Render lines are demarcation points in between back-end systems (servers) that handle different areas in Cyrodiil.
    • The ITO (operations) team can spin up additional systems (throw hardware at it) and reduce the area that each system manages.
    • If you imagine a set of diagonal lines (both directions) splitting Cyrodiil into diamond shaped slices, each diamond is a separate system handling that slice. It's probably not diamonds, more likely hexagons, but for this explanation it's easier to just imagine a whole lot of diagonal lines in each direction.
    • When they add systems, they simply move slices closer together and add more lines, reducing the amount of *stuff* happening within the scope of a system, and thus reducing latency and lag when there's too much *stuff* going on.
    • It probably costs them a LOT more to bring performance up to Midyear Mayhem levels due to the added hardware and VMs, so they don't want to do this if they don't have to (keeping costs down).
    Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
    PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could either
    1. upgrade the server hardware for Cyrodiil instances
    2. hire some consultants to rewrite their server code to be more performant and multi-threaded

both cost a lot of $$ so don't hold your breath.
    Edited by josh.lackey_ESO on March 13, 2020 8:47AM
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abilities not going off was more of a problem last night (first/only visit to Cyrodiil since patch) than it was before. Even in scenarios when it didn't feel "laggy" otherwise.

Block is messed up. Way longer activation time, can't lightly tap block to dismount, and can't dodgeroll off mount anymore. People get stuck in "permablock", i.e. the block symbol is visible, but they are not really blocking.

I didn't truly expect these "fixes" to make thing better, but the outcome was a little less bad than expected tbf. ;-)
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, the reason why server performance improves during midyear mayhem is because the calculations per player is drastically reduced as the servers are flooded with inexperienced players and experienced players spread out across multiple campaigns.

I think players have always underestimated the impact of their actions on server. A mobile experienced group with full buffs executing abilities immediately after cooldown are taxing the server far more per player than an ungrouped inexperienced random.

The signature trait of the inexperienced player is standing on a wall light attacking -- which probably has the least impact on the server of all. Contrast that against, the highly mobile solo pro in a meta build who is using a wide variety of abilities, potions, poisons, procs, and is constantly weaving attacks with unlimited sustain.

I do not believe the actual cost of the hardware is prohibitive at all. I think they would happily throw hardware at the problem to solve it. I think the actual solutions require a level of engineering ZOS has been unwilling to commit to as Cyrodiil has obviously been on life support for, probably, 5 years.
    Edited by zyk on March 16, 2020 1:46AM
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giljabrar wrote: »
    Horrible

Don't worry, the fixed the crashes. Only now, it takes about 1.5 seconds to break free. You can't cast a skill for about 2 seconds after a dodgeroll. Good luck with any channeled/cast time skills ever going off, or getting stuck in their animations. AoE abilities failing to register, honestly I would rather be crashing every time I go through a load zone. At least then I could stand stay in an area and actually use skills :neutral:

Takes about 3-4 seconds for me to break free(after costing stam a few times) And only 1 out of 4 skills are even firing for me. My character stands there 75% of the time unsure what to do. Working as intended.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fi'yra wrote: »
    ZOS Logic . . .

How to fix cyrodiil lag:
    Cause Cyrodiil related crashes so there aren't enough players online to cause any lag

New patch, new problem(s)

How has your experience been this patch?

Pretty horrible. Crash every hour or so. Terribly laggy most of the time. Now i can´t even play anymore. No poit to play when you cannot use your skills and 1 to 2 seconds delay on everything. I hope New World or some other game will be more playable.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yesterday was the worst i have ever experienced, extra long load screens, huge dsync on skills firing, couldnt roll dodge, or break free, ults not going off, FPS crashing at keeps. seems like PvP has taken a step back 6 months, what ever was improved doesnt work now
  • Aixy
    Aixy
    ✭✭✭
    Horrible

+ 1

>:)
  • twitch_zero
    twitch_zero
    ✭✭✭
    Skill lag is reaching insane levels. Any skill with a cast time requires repeated button presses to go off. Game is losing pvp players at a rate of knots.
  • elijafire
    elijafire
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely had problems with DC or lag until this patch. Now I see what yall been hollerin about and it makes me sad :(

E