Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dwarven Miniature Sun

Jthomas56
Jthomas56
✭✭✭
I know it’s a “sun” but holy cow! It is way to bright, it’s beautiful but I can’t even look at it directly.

Please can you guys tone this thing down a little bit so I can actually look at it?
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was honestly hoping this item would be less of a "Bright" item and instead be an extremely spread out lighting fixture; basically a ZOS style compromise for people demanding more housing slots.

They can't increase the cap above 700 and that's understandable; giving us a light that can light up an 1/3 of an entire manor would certainly save us 30-70 slots on lighting though. I was really hoping that's what this item would be.
  • DuckInRealLife
    DuckInRealLife
    ✭✭✭
    I’m going to use it in my Winterhold based Halkvild’s as a giant sun to make a mushroom forest.
    ....in the snowy tundra of Skyrim...
  • fyrestrtr88
    fyrestrtr88
    ✭✭
    Sun Is In The Name.
    Don’t Stare Directly At The Sun 😎

I Love This Furnishing As Is...
    Working On Placing At Least 1
    In Each House.
    💖☀️💖
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What is this item and where can you get it?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@katanagirl1 it's in the new crown crates
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@katanagirl1 it's in the new crown crates

Ah too bad. I’m not going there, no crown crates for me.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Sturmfaenger
    Sturmfaenger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put the miniature sun under the ceiling in the psijic-villa. Looks good up there, and probably will in other very big houses too - but due to the brightness its not a furnishing item suitable for every house.
    PC/EU
  • notvenousdrake
    notvenousdrake
    ✭✭✭
    Try to yell at it.
  • Vulsahdaal
    Vulsahdaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try to yell at it.

lol first thing I did was shout at it :)
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on exactly what it is like you like about that one, you might be able to make your own version.

Lights can be pushed inside other furnishings and continue to function. You just can't reach them to turn them off / on.

These give off a lot of light.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/clockwork-illuminator-solitary-capsule/

And would fit inside one of these.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/mysterious-clockwork-sphere/

If you prefer different colours, for blue there's these:

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/psijic-lighting-globe-large/

And green, these.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/hagraven-cauldron-ritual/

If you use the cauldron though, its lighting isn't uniform and multidirectional like the other two, and will cast firelight appropriate moving shadows around the room. You would want to position it carefully and maybe use several.
  • swankery
    swankery
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to be able to toggle it off or down some as an option.
    https://www.twitch.tv/swankery/ Housing Enthusiast! DDA founder/rep/Twitter@Swankery1@Swankery PC/NA https://www.youtube.com/c/swankery
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »

Depending on exactly what it is like you like about that one, you might be able to make your own version.

Lights can be pushed inside other furnishings and continue to function. You just can't reach them to turn them off / on.

These give off a lot of light.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/clockwork-illuminator-solitary-capsule/

And would fit inside one of these.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/mysterious-clockwork-sphere/

If you prefer different colours, for blue there's these:

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/psijic-lighting-globe-large/

And green, these.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/hagraven-cauldron-ritual/

If you use the cauldron though, its lighting isn't uniform and multidirectional like the other two, and will cast firelight appropriate moving shadows around the room. You would want to position it carefully and maybe use several.

Thanks for the response, but I am familiar with all of those lighting options. I was interested in this because I had to put two of the Clockwork capsules into the dome in Potentate’s Retreat and I’m not sure how to disguise them. The sphere would not be useful though because I think it would attenuate the light too much.

Thanks again, though :)
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite a pretty design, but it looks (in the preview, anyway) not only very bright, but very yellow...

What we need, for very big houses, is a giant chandelier, in a tasteful, universally appropriate design (as far as possible), with a very long chain, that gives off a warm, slightly flickering, white light.

Like a giant, Redguard Chandelier, just with slightly more light intensity and a far greater spread.

Also, it needs to not be in Crown Crates, but ideally craftable, or (failing that!) buyable with Crowns.
    Edited by Tigerseye on March 21, 2020 6:03PM
  • Mysanne
    Mysanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can someone show this dwarven sun in a home, because I'd like to buy it but I'm not sure it gives the light I need.

I imagine it in my Dawnlight Palace.

• chuck-18_ESO
    chuck-18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mysanne wrote: »
    Can someone show this dwarven sun in a home, because I'd like to buy it but I'm not sure it gives the light I need.

I imagine it in my Dawnlight Palace.

I don't have a photo, but the radius of the light from the sun is about the same as the Culanda and Varla stones, if that helps. I was hoping it would have a much wider range.
    The Exclusionary Mandates of Maruhkite Selection: All Are Equal

1: That the Supreme Spirit Akatosh is of unitary essence, as proven by the monolinearity of Time.
    1: That Shezarr the missing sibling is Singularly Misplaced and therefore Doubly Venerated.
    1: That the protean substrate that informs all denial of (1) is the Aldmeri Taint.
    1: That the Prophet Most Simian demonstrated that monothought begets Proper-Life.
    1: That the purpose of Proper-Life is the Expungement of the Taint.
    1: That the Arc of Time provides the mortal theater for the Sacred Expungement.
    1: That Akatosh is Time is Proper-Life is Taint-Death.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I manage to get my hands on one I will be testing to see if it can be turned white like the other bright yellow lights. Adding a bright blue light to a yellow one results in white light, i.e. Culanda Stone + Varla Stone.
  • Jthomas56
    Jthomas56
    ✭✭✭
    This was not meant to talk about the spread of light from the sun, but rather the intensity of it. Yes the spread is similar to culanda or varla Stones but you can also look directly at a culanda or varla Stones. If you look at the sun it’s light will cause a glare that will fog out its surroundings, and none of the details on the frame will show through.

Simply put a turn off/turn down function would be nice so I can appreciate the beauty of this object.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the response, but I am familiar with all of those lighting options. I was interested in this because I had to put two of the Clockwork capsules into the dome in Potentate’s Retreat and I’m not sure how to disguise them. The sphere would not be useful though because I think it would attenuate the light too much.

Lighting objects emit a certain amount of light - i.e. a certain intensity which may diminish over a certain radius until it stops - but I don't think anything attenuates light.

You may have the impression that light can be attenuated if you've placed low radius lights inside other furnishings or behind walls, but I think that's just the effect of you now only being able to see the diminished outer radius.

The spheres aren't hugely expensive. Or there's the PTS.
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    What we need, for very big houses, is a giant chandelier, in a tasteful, universally appropriate design (as far as possible), with a very long chain, that gives off a warm, slightly flickering, white light.

Flip a bosmer throne upside down and it becomes a lovely, long flower covered vine. Which combines nicely with the bosmer censer.

j6edtoawdw5i.jpg

Can't see it too well in that image because of the super high ceiling, but lower, those give off quite a lot of light.

For a whiter light, stuff a blue light inside them, eg. one of the small psijic globes.

Of course that style might not suit your home or tastes, but same trick could double the length of existing chandelier chains - flip one upside down and shove into the ceiling.

Though it would be better if ZO could just lengthen the chains on existing ones. I've just browsed through them now and most of them look too short.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Nerouyn I agree about the chandeliers and the chains being way too short. We need a long chain extension or something. I usually spend hours trying to line up two (or even three!) of the long, thin Clockwork surplus pieces as downrods to my chandeliers.

As far as light being attenuated by objects, I’ll have to look at it again now that I have read your statement. I pushed the Clockwork capsules into the ceiling to hide them but the light was much too dim, I thought it was being attenuated by the ceiling but perhaps it was just the shortened radius from being farther away. Thanks for the comment.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a persistent bug in the upper ceiling of Hakkvild's High Hall that extinguishes any light placed up there. However, if you put the Dwarven sun in the top portion of the dome, you can see how beautiful it is without the perma-glare.

You would think for 100 gems that you could at least turn the thing off and on. @ZOS_CullenLee , is this a bug, or just an oversight?
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Commandment
    Commandment
    ✭✭✭
    Is the lighting equivalent to the culanda stones golden light?
  • ApexInterfectum
    ApexInterfectum
    Soul Shriven
    My issue with the sun is that the bloom bleeds through any surface or structure. It is too big for how little light it gives so its not even a good option for small areas. You'd think with something called a miniature sun, it would at least illuminate a good size area.
    - Apex
  • Sporvan
    Sporvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aye, this disappointingly does not have a very big light radius - although it's really bright!
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »

Lighting objects emit a certain amount of light - i.e. a certain intensity which may diminish over a certain radius until it stops - but I don't think anything attenuates light.

You may have the impression that light can be attenuated if you've placed low radius lights inside other furnishings or behind walls, but I think that's just the effect of you now only being able to see the diminished outer radius.

The spheres aren't hugely expensive. Or there's the PTS.

Flip a bosmer throne upside down and it becomes a lovely, long flower covered vine. Which combines nicely with the bosmer censer.

j6edtoawdw5i.jpg

Can't see it too well in that image because of the super high ceiling, but lower, those give off quite a lot of light.

For a whiter light, stuff a blue light inside them, eg. one of the small psijic globes.

Of course that style might not suit your home or tastes, but same trick could double the length of existing chandelier chains - flip one upside down and shove into the ceiling.

Though it would be better if ZO could just lengthen the chains on existing ones. I've just browsed through them now and most of them look too short.

The Bosmer idea is nice - I would like more vine covered stuff, anyway.

Yeah, unfortuately, when it comes to the Palace in Hew's Bane, for example - which is appropriately named, as it turns out, as the Palace has been the bane of most decorators' furnishing lives(!) - even two chain lengths wouldn't be enough.

Also, the extra furnishing slots you would have to use would be totally prohibitive, if you are already only using traditional lighting to light the place and not "cheating" in any way, with hidden giant, or magical, stuff.

The only problem with lengthening all the chains, is that they will then stick through less high ceilings.

You already can't use the Redguard chandeliers on the ground (/first) floor in Hunding's, for that reason, for example; apart from under the arches, in the centre of the downstairs area.

In an ideal world (game!) the chains would adjust according to the height of the ceiling...

Alternatively, there would be (unlimited) extension chains, which came with the chandelier, which would attach automatically (very fiddly to do it manually!), or would come attached to it, but would be detachable and would cost no extra furnishing slots.

We, ideally, just need a really big, Redguard Chandelier (with a long, relatively thick central chain), anyway.

As the others just aren't big enough for big areas and are also asymmetrically triangular in shape (with the three braziers); rather than symmetrically hexagonal, or octagonal, or star shaped.
    Edited by Tigerseye on March 24, 2020 8:12PM
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only problem with lengthening all the chains, is that they will then stick through less high ceilings.

Of course. That explains their short length.

Here's me with no multiple story homes, gleefully shoving objects into every wall, floor and ceiling.
    In an ideal world (game!) the chains would adjust according to the height of the ceiling...

Literally changing their length might be complicated, but achieving the same effect might be very easy with a simple game code trick.

Inside the ceiling / floor, stick a full length and width flat plane object which would be an open portal to some space which no player will ever see.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I spent many years in the level editor for the LittleBigPlanet games, though it is much more sophisticated than what we have, I believe it proves that having a variable chain length would be possible.

Among the various things you could place when creating were string, springs, and pistons. One end of each of these had an anchor on it, so when it was put in contact with a surface it would automatically snap into place. Then you moved the other end until it was where you wanted it to be. A chandelier could work just like that.

Ha, just now I’m thinking how odd it is that a game that is more than 10 years old and with only 2.5D could do something better.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Altyrann
    Altyrann
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got one of these. Anyone found a way to make the light bearable? It's a great item unless you're actually looking at it, which makes it pretty useless for furnishing.