Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Either we need to be able to resize furnishing assets...

Tigerseye
Tigerseye
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
...or, houses need to be designed with the existing ones, fully, in mind.

For example, curtains/drapes.

You have made the Elsweyr curtains a certain size (two options, size-wise), but you have spaced the windows in Lucky Cat Landing in such a way that they can't be placed there, without clashing with a piece of the structure of the house/not clearing the window frames.

I don't mind overlapping the poles, to an extent, but what are we supposed to do, here, for example?

Because of the shallower way the curtain fabric falls on the lefthand side, the piece of wood separating two of the windows, the lack of depth of this piece of wood (relative to the other piece of wood, to the right), the placing of the three windows relative to each other and to this piece of wood and the size of the curtains, we have a choice between this:

c0hpVSo.png
Where the pole sticks out from the piece of wood and the wood cuts into the curtain fabric...

3aNbv6k.png
...or this, where the edge of the window frame protrudes through the lefthand side of the curtains.

No problem, you may say, use a single, Wide curtain, instead.

Um, no:

hnJnINy.png

I will probably just end up not using curtains here, at all, but that is not really a solution, is it?
Edited by Tigerseye on March 15, 2020 3:02PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, sorry its dark.

I have lost the will to even light this place...
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also, bearing in mind that far more care and attention seems to have gone into the design of the (gold-purchasable) inn room.

Putting the curtains up, here, was not hard.

As the windows are evenly spaced and have no awkwardly placed structural items getting in the way:

B08n4Pt.png

You start getting the feeling that whoever is selecting the themes for and designing these houses doesn't really have their heart in it...

Maybe they, secretly, don't approve that they are now Crown Store-only and are having a minor protest? :lol:
    Edited by Tigerseye on March 15, 2020 4:50PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Another example of what I am talking about, at Lucky Cat Landing (with a bit more light on the subject!):

El7jszH.png

This is actually less bad than the previous example, but it's still far from OK.

How much effort would it really have taken to make sure the wooden sections were placed evenly along the wall and the windows were then placed centrally, within those sections?

It's not that I can't take the quirkiness/asymmetry, it's just that it is impossible to place curtains, convincingly, with it like this.
    Edited by Tigerseye on March 15, 2020 4:47PM
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    Also, bearing in mind that far more care and attention seems to have gone into the design of the (gold-purchasable) inn room.

As the windows are evenly spaced and have no awkwardly placed structural items getting in the way:

B08n4Pt.png

You start getting the feeling that whoever is selecting the themes for and designing these houses doesn't really have their heart in it...

Maybe they, secretly, don't approve that they are now Crown Store-only and are having a minor protest? :lol:

This is beautiful, an inn room where I would like to rest!

P.S. I would add a dwemer elbow section pipe for the chimney :smile:
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would definitely be an improvement. I favour it. But I doubt they would.

Two hurdles.

You reference Rift (in other posts) and I've seen this feature in Wildstar. It's great. But they're cartoony games, i.e. lower graphic quality. To work in ESO all of the existing furnishing assets would need their resolution improved to still look good at maximum scale with this feature.

They've just spent a lot of time trying to shrink the total game file size to optimise performance. This feature would require going in the other direction, hard.

The other hurdle is more artificial but no less important from their perspective - money.

They've put lots of expensive big furnishings like statues in the crown store. If we had the freedom to scale everything, that would massively undermine that.
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, some times putting up the drapes is the most difficult of everything, if you're just the slightest bit ocd/wanting things looking neat and even :D
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »

B08n4Pt.png

This is beautiful, an inn room where I would like to rest!

P.S. I would add a dwemer elbow section pipe for the chimney :smile:

Thank you. :smile:

That is a great idea - sadly, I'm out of slots, though.
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually refrain from decorating some houses due to the darned drapes, If I can't make it look right, I'm not doing it! - People would think I can't even align drapes until they realize/get the issues explained, I like drapes, who wants to wake up from a good nap by bright sunlight, especially as a vampire :D
    Edited by InaMoonlight on March 16, 2020 1:43AM
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »
    It would definitely be an improvement. I favour it. But I doubt they would.

Two hurdles.

You reference Rift (in other posts) and I've seen this feature in Wildstar. It's great. But they're cartoony games, i.e. lower graphic quality. To work in ESO all of the existing furnishing assets would need their resolution improved to still look good at maximum scale with this feature.

They've just spent a lot of time trying to shrink the total game file size to optimise performance. This feature would require going in the other direction, hard.

The other hurdle is more artificial but no less important from their perspective - money.

They've put lots of expensive big furnishings like statues in the crown store. If we had the freedom to scale everything, that would massively undermine that.

Yes, I guess so, athough I would be making most things smaller, rather than larger.

Still want bonsai trees!

However, alternatively, they could at least ensure that the houses they design fit the existing furnishings, or vice versa (whichever comes first).

So, for example, as I say, making sure the windows are placed centrally in each wall panel and ideally, also making sure the wall panels are placed in a symmetrical way, as well.

Also, making sure that if the skirting boards are deep, that the brackets that hold the curtain poles are long enough.

Or, if the brackets are short, making sure the skirting boards aren't too deep.

...and so on.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Zos should consider some standardization when designing homes and specific furnishings. However, I doubt Zos will let us resize furnishings as it would seem that it would add to the server load.
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the easiest soloution is to give us two sizes of some items
    I have found few drapes that work in traditional dark elf homes (ie none morrowind ones) due to the design of the windows.
    Having curtains that have a larger and msaller size will cut down on this problem, its not a perfect soloution but its the best step forward i think without needing a redisign.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still want bonsai trees!

Those would be nice.
    However, alternatively, they could at least ensure that the houses they design fit the existing furnishings, or vice versa (whichever comes first).

Yeah they should.

And for some I think they do. Eg. the way the murkmire filled shelves fit literally perfectly in the Tel Galen niches, right down to the books fitting neatly under the curve.

But your curtain situation is definitely a problem. They've dropped the ball there.

You're in luck. I'm not only a skilled problem solver, but I'm totally sugared up right so my brain is FIZZING!!!!!

The simplest solution would be for them to copy / paste existing curtains into multiple different sizes, so every curtain can potentially fit neatly in every window in every home. Certainly in terms of width and ideally also length.

Programatically I'd do that by making curtains morphable.

Add an extra tab to the clothier crafting station for "size adjustments" which work (at least initially) only for curtains. Then you'd be able to select the home (it would be helpful if that defaulted to your current location if a player home) and then window (if there are multiple sizes).

Hit craft button. It deletes the old item and replaces it with the newly sized one. Which can still be freely morphed as many times as you like.

Boom. Your problem solved.

If players enjoy that, it could potentially be extended to eg. being able to make smaller versions of trees right down to bonsai size. Which would actually be easier because the difference would just be a scale modifier. They wouldn't need to copy paste 10 different versions of the same tree. They could have 10 items codes for the same tree with 1 through 9 = .1 through .9 x the size of 10.
    Edited by Nerouyn on March 16, 2020 11:39AM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »
    Still want bonsai trees!

Those would be nice.

Yeah they should.

And for some I think they do. Eg. the way the murkmire filled shelves fit literally perfectly in the Tel Galen niches, right down to the books fitting neatly under the curve.

But your curtain situation is definitely a problem. They've dropped the ball there.

You're in luck. I'm not only a skilled problem solver, but I'm totally sugared up right so my brain is FIZZING!!!!!

The simplest solution would be for them to copy / paste existing curtains into multiple different sizes, so every curtain can potentially fit neatly in every window in every home. Certainly in terms of width and ideally also length.

Programatically I'd do that by making curtains morphable.

Add an extra tab to the clothier crafting station for "size adjustments" which work (at least initially) only for curtains. Then you'd be able to select the home (it would be helpful if that defaulted to your current location if a player home) and then window (if there are multiple sizes).

Hit craft button. It deletes the old item and replaces it with the newly sized one. Which can still be freely morphed as many times as you like.

Boom. Your problem solved.

If players enjoy that, it could potentially be extended to eg. being able to make smaller versions of trees right down to bonsai size. Which would actually be easier because the difference would just be a scale modifier. They wouldn't need to copy paste 10 different versions of the same tree. They could have 10 items codes for the same tree with 1 through 9 = .1 through .9 x the size of 10.

Sounds great. :smile:
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kaisernick wrote: »
    the easiest soloution is to give us two sizes of some items
    I have found few drapes that work in traditional dark elf homes (ie none morrowind ones) due to the design of the windows.
    Having curtains that have a larger and msaller size will cut down on this problem, its not a perfect soloution but its the best step forward i think without needing a redisign.

Yes, even that would help.

If you don't look too closely at the distance of the brackets from the wall, you can (kind of) use the Elsweyr Curtains, Wide Maroon, in the Ebony Flask Inn Room:

q2h99F0.png

But, it's far from ideal and is even worse in the houses, due to some of the windows being larger/placed next to doors and there not even being the wooden archway, there, to lessen the gap.

You could, perhaps, try adding a stone block (end on), or something, to attach the brackets to, but there should be a proper solution for this.

For one thing, in most cases, it would be better to have long brackets, which you could partially sink into a wall, if necessary, than brackets that are so short they often don't reach the wall, at all.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3aNbv6k.png
    ...or this, where the edge of the window frame protrudes through the lefthand side of the curtains.

I will probably just end up not using curtains here, at all, but that is not really a solution, is it?

I've come across issues like that a lot of times, and it's usually with tapestries, curtains and carpets, and I've resorted to doing the best I can, even if sometimes placement ends up wonky no matter what. For the curtains in the above pic, one thing I can think of that you can try is rorating slightly the curtains in such a way that the bottom part comes up (away from the wall), while the top railing part stays in place, that way the window likely won't cut in the fabric.
  • Inaya
    Inaya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to be able to resize things like in EQ2. I'd also like FLAT walls! It's frustrating trying to wallpaper, making sure the entire wall is covered and the window is not obscurred.