The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Quality of Life improvements thread

kind_hero
kind_hero
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello housing enthusiasts!

Let's make a new list of small improvements (QoL) that should be easy to implement.
By QoL improvements I don't mean furnishings, houses, or more slots (we have other threads for that), just things that will make housing more enjoyable, and should be easy to fix.

My list is:
  • context menu over player's name to visit other houses than the primary
  • teleporting out of the house at no cost
  • for guilds, select a house as a guild castle that anyone can visit from the guild menu
  • better item placing: snaping and aligning items to walls/floors
  • filtering placed items by slot type (collectible, special collectible, traditional, etc)
  • levitation mode while decorating
  • change day/night/weather while decorating
  • ability to change the spawn point (the place you enter the house) (1)
  • usable beds, bar stools, sitting pillows, etc
  • light master switch
  • reveal invisible walls and slaughterfish while decorating
  • move the invisible walls and ceilings in certain houses (2)
  • ability to increase/decrease the brightness of light sources (such as the very bright varla stones)
  • deconstruct bound furniture
  • change the music theme (using the game soundtrack)
  • make NPCs (banker, trader) sit on a chair

1. This would be good for houses that have several areas, like the Lunar Champion house. Some people decorate only one wing, so it would be great to port directly to that wing. Also, I am reffering only to the existing spawn points, such as the interior door, back yard, etc.
2. Many houses have invisible walls that unnecessarily restrict building or using a certain place. I am talking about walls cut in half, rooftops or lofts which could be used in fun ways. These walls could be moved further away, so players could enjoy those areas unrestricted. Here are some examples, the invisible wall is marked with red:
Twin Arches "roof denied" :)
0C2lT9w.png

Domus Phrasticus ramparts
XJ2XWQA.png

Strident Springs ramparts and towers:
MkLHun4.png
[PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Mysanne
    Mysanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    +1

And I would add :

- a function that allows you to move the furniture more or less precisely (as does the "Homestead Item Mover" addon).
    A "+" button to move the furniture with large "jumps", a "-" button to move it very precisely in the desired direction.
    Or at least, the ability to move furniture 90 degrees and 180 degrees.
    Options
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would add:
    Remove the collections and special collections item pools then increase the general item count limits by the same amounts. Special collectables and collectibles would be placed as normal furniture.This would provide two added benefits. 1) a general increase in furniture slots across the board and 2) it would allow players to display full mount and pet collections if they wish.
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would like some way to move objects away from my character without moving my character. Something like using L2 or R2 on controller to move in/out. Also, some way to move an object upwards easier.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • Sturmfaenger
    Sturmfaenger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to be able to preview furniture blueprints and furniture. The function is already in the game. It would be no big bother to add it to the options menu of the right mouseclick. And it would make everything so much easier, if you want to check if this is the blueprint you had in mind, or want to show someone. It works in guild stores, I wish it would work in inventories and everywhere else too.

Ah, and if the preview could get a freestyle mode, it would be all the better - I am always curious to what a piece of furniture looks like upside down. To explore the possiblities^^
    Edited by Sturmfaenger on March 7, 2020 10:25PM
    PC/EU
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a preview mode that lets you see how much space a crafted object would take up would be incredibly helpful. This would be before you actually craft it, of course. Just a shadowy version of it that you can move around and temporarily place in your house.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, a preview mode that lets you see how much space a crafted object would take up would be incredibly helpful. This would be before you actually craft it, of course. Just a shadowy version of it that you can move around and temporarily place in your house.

Previewing blueprints, but also furniture in a preview mode in decorator mode would be great!

A shadowy version would not be enough because many people want to match a certain color (beside the size concerns). I get this a lot when I want to decorate in another style than the one of the house, and I am trying to find furnishings that match the colors in that house. Because it is a preview mode, I don't see why it would not be implemented, chances are you like it, and you buy/craft that item.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »

Previewing blueprints, but also furniture in a preview mode in decorator mode would be great!

A shadowy version would not be enough because many people want to match a certain color (beside the size concerns). I get this a lot when I want to decorate in another style than the one of the house, and I am trying to find furnishings that match the colors in that house. Because it is a preview mode, I don't see why it would not be implemented, chances are you like it, and you buy/craft that item.

I know the “preview” at the crafting tables has little tiles on the floor that you can sort of tell how big a crafted plan is, but I just blew 50k on Dwemer frames to try to craft a chandelier in Potentates and it wasn’t nearly as large as I envisioned.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A reason to have a house.

Have a farm to cultivate a once a week hireling. Spend a little time a few days a week doing some menial tasks and at the end of the week a "hireling" gives you a weeks worth of stuff in the mail.
    Options
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Along the lines of item placement, my #1 request would be for auto-shelving of books (like in Skyrim). All my books are on the floor because trying to get it right in the bookshelf is maddening and frankly not worth the time I would have to take to shelve them all.
    Options
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    A reason to have a house.

Have a farm to cultivate a once a week hireling. Spend a little time a few days a week doing some menial tasks and at the end of the week a "hireling" gives you a weeks worth of stuff in the mail.

Agreed about giving us more reasons to have a house. I'd love the ability to pick up/turn in daily crafting writs, though I know players and probably ZOS are concerned about ghost towns. I park my characters at my house and would love to just have my alts do their writs there, which is the only reason I'm logging onto them in the first place. I pre-craft stuff there (since I'm on console) and then go and pick up/turn in the writs. I just hate trying to craft in towns with dozens of flappers about in the crafting areas and writ turn-ins, not to mention the bears.

But, at least offer us a free port from our houses. Even if it's just to a wayshrine in the same zone, to prevent players from just using the free inn rooms as free ports to anywhere. Or, at least not have porting to a house count towards the cost increase for teleporting. For players who have already bought many houses with gold, we don't need the paltry gold sink of porting, esp. when there are ways, and add-ons, to avoid it altogether.
    whitecrow wrote: »
    Along the lines of item placement, my #1 request would be for auto-shelving of books (like in Skyrim). All my books are on the floor because trying to get it right in the bookshelf is maddening and frankly not worth the time I would have to take to shelve them all.

Would definitely love this! Skyrim treated bookshelves as containers, which then displayed the books on the shelves.

I'd love to see more interactable furniture, and not furniture that you click and it does some animation or something. I'm talking, as OP, about sleeping on beds, sitting on other kinds of furniture (as mentioned, stools and pillows). Perhaps even warming your hands at the Hlaalu chimenea (since we can't use it to cook). Maybe if you had a broom, you could pick it up and start sweeping. Sure, some of these are RP things, but would be neat touches.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on March 9, 2020 6:21PM
    Options