Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Reaction to update 25

FierceSam
FierceSam
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
How is it for you?

Is FPS any better?

I’ve been in Murkmire. I’m crashing to desktop every 5 minutes or so. Way, way more frequent than previously.

FPS seems stable at 25fps +-

The usual ‘have to click on login screen before being able to type’ bug/feature is still there.

I don’t have camera spin.
  • eleve
    eleve
    ✭✭
    crashed when trying to switch chars for crafting...clicked on logout, instant crash
    login takes as long as before if not even longer
    connection client/server worse than before; lots of stuttering while moving around

no camera spin

more as i play more
  • eleve
    eleve
    ✭✭
    ah yes, need to click on login screen a few times before typing the password. I developed a routine for that though. i have chars on the EU server as well as on the US one so when the login screen comes up, I switch servers and that will allow me to then type the password without farting around with clicking around.
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not much to add so far, just went in doing some horse feeding, but at least the white screen at start is gone an no need for the 2* command+m anymore

Edit: exiting the game still hangs and have to force close
    Edited by vgabor on February 24, 2020 5:53PM
  • Gattopardo
    Gattopardo
    ✭✭
    yeah white screen and sizing at the start seems fixed
    but at least for me, I'm crashing (aka the game just closes itself completely) about half the time when loging out to character select from different chars;
    otherwise fps is the same, but things load in faster esp the assistants and other players, no dark figures instead of players atm;
    log out to char select is faster when it works properly, otherwise loadingscreen are the same as before
    Edited by Gattopardo on February 24, 2020 5:47PM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amusingly the performance indicator bar (Settings/Interface/Performance) seems to have turned itself off for all my characters and has to be reinstated for each of them individually.

So maybe measuring FPS wasn’t something desired on this patch.

Anyway, I still haven’t noticed any improvement. Still bounced down to single digit FPS in most built up areas.
  • Mainman99
    Mainman99
    ✭✭✭
    PRO: Better FPS in crafting town, textures loaded in correctly
    CON: Crashed during first wayshrinetravel
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crashed on first logout... but that's what the game did after every update, so nothing special. Didn't crash on logout after that.
    Solid FPS (for a 12 years old GPU that is), at least not worse than before. Better lighting? Some effects look way nicer, less popping as it seems.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • Mainman99
    Mainman99
    ✭✭✭
    Update:
    Logged in after crash, picked char, loading screen, after 3 min back to login
    Logged in again, spinning toon...
    Crashed after 5 min...
  • raffaeleg
    raffaeleg
    ✭✭✭
    My first reaction about the major update: Update download is stopping when the screen (not the Mac) goes asleep. Took 15 secs before I saw the chars. 60 FPS at least in Auridon. No spinning toon. Interface has become huge, "Use custom scale" has no effect. Playing for more than a hour without crashing. Forcing quit closing the game, as before, it's been months by now.
    Update: crashing very often in Cyrodiil
    My config:
    macOS Catalina 10.15.3 and iMac Pro baseline 8 Core, 32 GB
    Edited by raffaeleg on February 24, 2020 9:05PM
  • jluchau
    jluchau
    ✭✭✭
    Very early impression.... No white screen, I didn't have to click around to enter password, it went in the first time. Character loaded in normal amount of time but my big win... NO SPIN! Will check back in on FPS and crashing. Oh, game still seems to be quite large, 73.39 gb of space with just the regular client installed no PTS.
  • jluchau
    jluchau
    ✭✭✭
    Standing in Mournhold at 38-45 fps, i've crashed once.
  • dm_critic
    dm_critic
    ✭✭
    Performance is decent for me so far, but I've only been in PvE zones the last few days. It at least doesn't feel worse than in the previous patches.

The blank window issue at launch is fixed. The cursor bug that's been around since macOS 10.13 High Sierra is still around (that's going since fall of 2017 now).
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't had many crashes in the past 4-5 months, then had one in the first hour after patch - hard crash to desktop complete with a form to fill out to explain "what were you doing" - way-shrining to Vvardenfall, I think.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh wait...

The post-launch launcher update (to replace the sandy background with a new snowy one) obviously reintroduces the spinning bug. AGAIN.

I’d love to believe ZOS gave a monkey’s or actually tested this, but at this point it’s clear they don’t.

Otherwise... no great improvements, no discernible FPS increase, more crashing in Murkmire, but that might just be down to the game cannot handle large populations anywhere.
  • tralmekub17_ESO
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Base model +64 GB RAM, macOS Mojave 10.14.6

My first impressions were rather good when I played the first day after the patch. I logged in without re-setting the client & launcher in Accessibility: No spinning! FPS was about 10 lower than it had been prior to the patch, but I didn't experience any sudden slowdowns in frame rate like I had been before, so it was a lower frame rate, but steadier which is a bonus in my book. I played for about 45 minutes, zoned a few times, didn't crash, and zone loading times seemed improved, at least when loading small areas like an Outlaws Refuge. Unchanged loading times into main zones. All relative improvements compared to the previous state of the Mac client. I logged out satisfied. Then I had to force quit after logging out, which is status quo for longer playing sessions with the Mac client at this point.

Last night, however, was far more disappointing. I logged in and was spinning uncontrollably again. Admittedly, at a slower rate than it used to spin, but the game was still unplayable. I logged out, reset the launcher & client in Accessibility, and that fixed the spinning issue. Frame rate was about the same.

Then I started doing daily writs on my characters. First character when fine. I ran my writs (about 3 minutes), went back to character select. Second character went fine. Ran my writs, went back to character select. Third character, ran my writs, was just about to log out, crashed to desktop. Stopped playing in disgust.

I'm not sure what happened between day 1 of the patch and day 2, but the character spinning is back, as is crashing after a few load screens (or logging in and out of characters). This is really disappointing. The only "good" thing is that I didn't have to force quit the client after leaving the game, because it was a CTD.

At this point I'm used to the Mac client crashing after a few hours and/or 20 or so loading screens. It's been that way for a long time. But now it seems to be crashing after about 5 loading screens which means I'm pretty useless in group play (too many loading screens to stick with the group for any length of time). Solo play is also near-impossible (doing things like crafting writs, surveys, maps, leveling lower-level characters).

tl;dr
    Pros:
    Frame rate seems smoother, no sudden drops to 1 or 2 FPS
    Loading small areas seems improved

Cons:
    Frame rate is lower overall by about 10 FPS
    Uncontrollable spinning (fixable, but annoying)
    Crashes to desktop after just a few loading screens
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty constant crashing on character switching

No other recognisable ‘improvements’
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tonight was the first time I've played the Mac version since Update 25, so I don't know what's from Update 25 and what's from the Monday morning maintenance, but...

The first thing I noticed was that I did not have to switch screen size and then switch back to bypass the Great White Window; the login screens and character selection screens were visible in all their glory from the get-go. Yay!

There was no problem with a spinning camera after this update, which was also a good thing.

Did crafting on 7 characters and had no issues with crashing when I backed out of the character selection screen afterward, as has frequently happened to me since Update 25.

However, when I quit from the server selection/login screen, I got the spinning color wheel and the game wouldn't close, so I ended up doing a Force Quit, at which point the launcher screen said that it couldn't load the game news.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Before I switched permanently to playing ESO via Bootcamp last week, I was getting between 20 and 40 fps by the horse trainer in Stormhaven with medium-ish settings. That same spot was giving me about 50-60 fps in Windows with even higher settings. The Mac client is on life support at this point.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the issue that was presented in this thread;

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/497668/spontaneous-logging-out-of-computer-user-in-macos-catalina#latest

...is still happening. I am in contact with customer support, but it's been over a month now with various ideas and it is still a head scratcher.

Is anyone else having this issue?

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much did not do anything that was "promised".

Same old, same old.

But I'm still here, because even with bugs, I like TES with friends.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • frnic
    frnic
    Soul Shriven
    I am just back after a few months sabbatical. I tried a while back to run ESO on my new MBP 2019 and it was not pleasant. So, I loaded boot camp and ran it a while that way. That was not pleasant since I use the MBP daily for programing and other things. Rebooting into Windows was not acceptable. So, I removed the bootcamp partition and forgot about it for a while.

I reinstalled yesterday with the new patch. A completely different experience. It just worked. No glitches, no crashes. The only thing I had to do was give the launcher access permission and I was up and running.

Not a great Frame rate, but acceptable to me, for a laptop with no dedicated graphics card I was impressed to be getting 25 to 35 FPS with HIGH settings tweeted a little. Fighting the dragon in the startup area fps dropped to 15 to 20. I can live with that.

I hear all the pain in these posts, I don't know why I am not having those issues, but I am not.

My configuration: (Note: I am running MacOS 10.15.4 beta)

5v3gaa9lnmsj.png