The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Cyrodiil Improvement Possibilities

Casterial
Casterial
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi,

I had a few thoughts about the issues within Cyrodiil.

First off, lets talk about Battle Spirit
Why? Battle Spirit is a global buff applied to everyone who is in Cyrodiil or has PVP activated.
Why is this bad? Servers have to calculate every event that happens, the skill damage goes through battle spirit, then through CP. This causes overloading on the calculations which can easily cause server stability issues.

Every single event within Cyrodiil has to be calculated before it happens through CP and Battle Spirit making it a very expensive buff / debuff to use for PVP. Majority of games try to avoid this due to the expensiveness it can cause to servers.

What would be the result of removing Battle Spirit? Well firstly, unbalanced PVP. Whats a fix? Well a fix would be to go in and tone down PVE content and everything in the game to be how it was in PVP. This would allow global changes and not differentiate the two more than they already are. While this initially could be expensive, you could take the WoW approach and just blanket nerf old content.

This would allow you to focus on the game without having to take in mind the expensive Battle Spirit.

Second, lets talk about Cyrodiil
Cyrodiil is a mega server in which several events happen. Why not optimize the gamelets used here (Individual game servers within the server per player #, more expensive, but reduced lag heavily)

How do we do this you ask?
unknown.png?width=504&height=506

You split Cyrodiil into 4 zones, each zone is a phase (When you exit, you enter) Or each zone could simply be a way of calculating events on that side of the map. For example, if Sector 2 had no action, but Sector 1 had all the action you'd drop server need on Sector 2 and reallocate the gamelets to sector 1. This would give more players more stability. How? Well instead of trying to fit ~50 players onto a game server, you fit 10-15 because you've reallocated them from an area to focus on the event. This means the mega server will give more resources to the event unfolding allowing it to not stress. Instead of 50 people on one gamelet(game server) you have 10-15, very expensive in some form, but optimal to reduce lag heavily.

Lastly, Champion Points
You read about Battle Spirit right? Now apply all that to Champion Points. Even more calculations on the server happening. This means in PVP you do the following:
I cast a heal:
- The heal is calculated by the player sets and static numbers
- The heal is then calculated by Battle Spirit
- The heal is then calculated by every affix in the CP
- The heal is then calculated by buffs and debuffs on the player
- The heal finally finished calculating and happens to the player. (This is all within a split second)

You see? Its very expensive. CP would need to not be % and be static numbers which with the removal of Battle spirit would make all calculations happen based on what their tooltip says, this allows calculations to happen when player is instantiated. This means, when you enter the battle your numbers are already raw numbers which would only have to make calculations on the buffs and debuffs for example:
I cast a heal:
- The heal looks at buffs and debuffs and applies numbers
- The heal, heals.

These are just some thoughts, give your thought!

Like some of these are crazy, expensive, wild ideas above. But they were things that should have been considered while mapping out ESO.

Now, we're suffering due to this and changing the game completely to make up for the amount of server issue built up over the years.
Edited by Casterial on February 26, 2020 4:49PM
Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
The Order of Magnus
Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
For the Daggerfall Covenant
The Last Chillrend Empress
Animation Cancelling
  • KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -_-
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -_-

Yup, I know. It sounds crazy, but in the reality most of these things didn't exist when we had no server lag.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • xshatox
    xshatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finally someone with technical suggestion.
    I agree that for an online gaming there seems to be a lot calculation for a simple task. But reworking them will require a lot of change on a lot of game part. I really like your zoning suggestion, this is will require also some changing in infrastructure.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xshatox wrote: »
    Finally someone with technical suggestion.
    I agree that for an online gaming there seems to be a lot calculation for a simple task. But reworking them will require a lot of change on a lot of game part. I really like your zoning suggestion, this is will require also some changing in infrastructure.

Yeah, by no means are these cheap. This requires probably a year of engineers time working on this and having to go back and fix everything. In reality, this would be for game 2 of ESO if it were to happen and probably can't happen for this game.

Zoning may be a possibility if we were to tweak it a lot with the new phasing system they do have.
    The nerf / change to Battle Spirit would require a crazy amount of reworking.
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casterial wrote: »
    -_-

Yup, I know. It sounds crazy, but in the reality most of these things didn't exist when we had no server lag.

Cyrodiil, every zone, is already divided into sectors. Never seen a texture border in cyro ? We permanently zone through invisible borders.

If the overall dps would be lower i would sign for removing Battle Spirit and Impen on items and Impen from CP.

And yes, would be nice if we had one ruleset for all of Tamriel. Took me years to have builds for my main to do all from RP/Overland to solo dungeon keys to PvP by only swapping items. Just top tier vet wont work (It should though)
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mague wrote: »
    -_-

Cyrodiil, every zone, is already divided into sectors. Never seen a texture border in cyro ? We permanently zone through invisible borders.

If the overall dps would be lower i would sign for removing Battle Spirit and Impen on items and Impen from CP.

And yes, would be nice if we had one ruleset for all of Tamriel. Took me years to have builds for my main to do all from RP/Overland to solo dungeon keys to PvP by only swapping items. Just top tier vet wont work (It should though)

Its divided into sectors, but not phased. Which means they probably attempted it at one point.

+1 :P
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *bump
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -_-

We've had no server lag pre-lighting patch when most of the calculations were performed client side.

The only reason why Cyro was able to work the way it was designed was ZOS's initial choice to move most of the calculations normally done on the server to the client instead. Except there is a good reason why experienced developers never do it. ESO is one of the very few online games that was vulnerable to something as simple as Cheat Engine. So they've scrambled to move all of those sensitive calculations back to the server which the game was not designed for.

The perfomance has been garbage ever since.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    -_-

We've had no server lag pre-lighting patch when most of the calculations were performed client side.

The only reason why Cyro was able to work the way it was designed was ZOS's initial choice to move most of the calculations normally done on the server to the client instead. Except there is a good reason why experienced developers never do it. ESO is one of the very few online games that was vulnerable to something as simple as Cheat Engine. So they've scrambled to move all of those sensitive calculations back to the server which the game was not designed for.

The perfomance has been garbage ever since.

You're exactly right. Instead of having anti cheat auto ban software, they did the unthinkable.

WOW had some client and they autoban you if you're using anything like CE.

ESO never had it built in and did a "bandaid solution" which moved the stress off your CPU to the server CPU
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -_-

-_-