@FierceSam and his solution was correct up to a point for me. I needed to do some additional steps for Sam's solution to work. As background, I had this problem 1-2 years ago and it came back last fall (Fall 2019). I already had the 2 apps Sam mentions in my Accessibility list. Heres what I did -- most of it follows Sam.
1. With the character login screen open ...
2. Opened System Preferences > Security & Privacy panel
3. Clicked to Accessibility pane in LHS list
4. Deleted eso and "ZeniMax Online Studios Launcher" items in the access list
5. Added "eso" back to the list (I needed to find the new ESO.app file by opening my Applications folder and entering the Zenimax subfolders)
6. Added ZeniMax Online Studios Launcher.app back to the list (similar to #4 above)
7. Unchecked and re-checked the 2 items in the access list
For some reason, the original items that were in my access list from prior updates could not be edited. This required my deleting and re-adding.
So far, these changes appear to permanently fix the problem. However, in the past I have had to uncheck/re-check the boxes in the access list after every ESO update.
Hope this helps.