The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Undaunted Mettle --> 5/2, 6/1, or 5/1/1?

MurderMostFoul
MurderMostFoul
✭✭✭✭✭
Context:
NoCP PvP, Medium Armor Stamina Character

So I'm finally getting around to leveling Undaunted. As such, I am re-weighing my options for armor type composition. I've always gone 5m/2h, but I'm looking for some input from folks who have experience testing the various setups. What works in the context outlined above?
“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly, I find little reason to go 5/1/1 on 5m stam builds. I always prefer 5m/2h (chest & legs) on builds that intend to fight amd would go 5/1/1 on more nimble builds that can make use of the minor boost to mobility with the LA snare mitigation passives.

But the differences are pretty razor thing in terms of the actual margins.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to write it all down. Taking 7 medium, then converting the optimal 2 armor pieces to...

2h: 2014 armor, 8% health recov, 216 mag and stam on hit every 4 sec, 8% max health, 4% max stam, 4% max mag

1h/1m: 1050 armor, 4% health recov, 108 mag and stam on hit every 4 sec, 328 crit, 4% stam recov, 2% stam cost reduction, 3% sprint speed, 4% dodge cost reduction, 6% max health, 4% max stam, 4% max mag

1h/1l: 792 armor, 4% health recov, 108 mag and stam on hit every 4 sec, 4% snare reduction, 3% sprint cost reduction, 4% mag recov, 2% mag cost reduction, 363 spell resist, 8% max health, 6% max stam, 6% max mag
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to write it all down. Taking 7 medium, then converting the optimal 2 armor pieces to...

2h: 2014 armor, 8% health recov, 216 mag and stam on hit every 4 sec, 8% max health, 4% max stam, 4% max mag

1h/1m: 1050 armor, 4% health recov, 108 mag and stam on hit every 4 sec, 328 crit, 4% stam recov, 2% stam cost reduction, 3% sprint speed, 4% dodge cost reduction, 6% max health, 4% max stam, 4% max mag

1h/1l: 792 armor, 4% health recov, 108 mag and stam on hit every 4 sec, 4% snare reduction, 3% sprint cost reduction, 4% mag recov, 2% mag cost reduction, 363 spell resist, 8% max health, 6% max stam, 6% max mag

Now cutting out borderline useless bonuses:

2h: 2014 armor, 8% health recov, 216 mag and stam on hit every 4 sec, 8% max health, 4% max stam

1h/1m: 1050 armor, 4% health recov, 108 mag and stam on hit every 4 sec, 328 crit, 4% stam recov, 2% stam cost reduction, 4% dodge cost reduction, 6% max health, 4% max stam

1h/1l: 792 armor, 4% health recov, 108 mag and stam on hit every 4 sec, 363 spell resist, 8% max health, 6% max stam, 6% max mag

Looking at this, it seems like 5m/1h/1l is the worst. So to compare 5m/2h and 6m/1h, I'll remove the baseline:

2h: 965 armor, 4% health recov, 108 mag and stam on hit every 4 sec, 2% max health

1h/1m: 328 crit, 4% stam recov, 2% stam cost reduction, 4% dodge cost reduction

Hmmm....kinda seems like 6m/1h might be better, idk.
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on February 25, 2020 3:50AM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you tinker around on the UESP build editor, @MurderMostFoul ... as we don’t have your full character sheet in front of us.

It could be a different target between 5/1/1, 5/2, and 6/1 based on the rest of your character setup.

A majority of the time, though, it’s nice to squeeze out that extra 1% of base stats through 5/1/1.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/UESPWiki:EsoBuildEditor
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always run 6/1 when possible, the 1 being a heavy chest, the rest being med or light depending on spec.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends on the class, for instance 5-2 (5 med, 2 heavy) is the way to go for a sNB because of their passives
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've debated going to 5/1/1 for some time because I'm using Streak/Dark Deal/Crit Surge with +270 mag regen on an infused Jewelry piece a lot more since Dragonhold. The added bonus of getting more resources is what outweighs the lack luster light armor passives for Medium builds, the little bit of cost reduction and regen should help me using those magicka abilities more often.

I'd say 5/1/1 is never worth it unless you actually use magicka abilities quite a lot, even then, the bonuses are small. 5/2 and 6/1 are usually my prefered options.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of my pvp Stam (at no-cp) are on 5 medium + 2 heavy.

Most of my PVP characters are 5/2 actually. It is rather optimal for my taste there and convenient, since i got like a hundred sets fully golden so easy to mix and match that way with already upgraded gear in right parts.

At PVE side of things my Msorc, Magcro and Magblade dps are 5/1/1. Stam dps most often 6/1 or even 7 medium.

My PVE Tanks are mostly at 7 Heavy or 6/1, so occasionally a Light Sash with everything else Heavy, if wearing a "healtank" setup with 2 support sets.

Mettle % bonus for going 5/1/1 does not imo give Tanks that much benefit since low stat pools anyways and in 7 heavy the Constitution passive gives way more valuable steady resource return compared to tiny bit bigger pools.

Edited by Moonsorrow on February 23, 2020 1:38PM
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can’t believe nobody has said it here so far...

But for medium armor stamina BGs you absolutely want to go 6/1 instead of 5/2 solely because of the extra second of root / snare immunity that shuffle will give you with 6m on. It’s amazing and will save your life far more than the negligible extra bonus of one more heavy piece....

It’s not even close tbh.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

But for medium armor stamina BGs you absolutely want to go 6/1 instead of 5/2 solely because of the extra second of root / snare immunity that shuffle will give you with 6m on. It’s amazing and will save your life far more than the negligible extra bonus of one more heavy piece....

It’s not even close tbh.

Not everyone runs shuffle, but good point.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

It’s not even close tbh.

Yeah, as much as I miss major evasion, I generally run forward momentum and not Shuffle. Having major brutality and snare removal/immunity in one skill is so efficient. Also, forward momentum has significantly cheaper then Shuffle. It allows me to keep snares off without hitting my sustain too hard.

I can always just move out of AOEs, right? ;)
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on February 24, 2020 1:24AM