The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Which Stats Are Used in Streak/Critical Surge?

madeeh91rwb17_ESO
madeeh91rwb17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
Streak tooltip says: "This ability scales with your highest offensive stats."

Does that mean in StamSorc, it uses max-stam, wep-damage, wep-critical and pyhsical-pen?
All of them instead of their magika counter parts?
Or just some selected few? Which ones if so?

And same question for critical surge.
Does it also scale with whichever is higher among spell-crit/wep-crit etc?

Best Answers

• Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, the damage is calculated based on you max stamina, weapon dmg, weapon crit and physical pen.
    You still need magicka to cast the ability of course.

I believe Crit Surge is not working as intended atm but havent tested this for myself.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
    Answer ✓
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, the damage is calculated based on you max stamina, weapon dmg, weapon crit and physical pen.

Cool.
    May I ask how exactly you know that?

Back in the days abilities that consumed magicka were based off max magicka, spell dmg, spell crit and spell pen. Eventually it was changed for certain abilities and ultimates to use the highest stats to make the abilities useful for both magicka and stamina builds. My main is a magsorc so I did some testing when it was changed.

You can easily test it for yourself, just damage a target dummy with Streak with and without the major brutality buff, from Rally for example. If the dmg is higher with Rally active the abilities scales off your weapon dmg, if numbers stay the same it scales off your spell dmg.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
    Answer ✓
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Cool.

Because most of us have been around for awhile and read the patch notes every pts week or upon release. Streak also states "scales off of highest offensive stats" or something along those lines. Ultimates don't state this, but it was changed when they introduced weapon ultimates like 3 or so years ago.

There was a complaint I saw on the PTS a couple patches ago that stated Crit Surge was using Spell Crit to determine the chance the HEAL would crit. To be clear there is 2 calculations. The first calculation is to proc the heal via a critical strike with 1 second cooldown. The second calculation is based on the heal itself critting, someone would have to test it, but I heard the 2nd calculation was based on spell crit which is a mistake. Not sure if it's been fixed.

The issue with these dynamic scaling abilities is really CP. CP is specific about the damage type it buffs. So if your stamina player with +11% to physical/poison/disease damage, you don't get this +11% damage on abilities like Streak that use Shock damage.

Similar thing applies with Debuffs like Major/Minor Fracture which decreases a targets physical resistance, since the damage type is Shock, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong on this 1) the target still uses Spell Resistance to defend against the attack, but your Physical Penetration on your character is how it determines how much Spell Penetration you have. So you can have 5k Physical Penetation 0 Spell Penetration with a 5k Physical Resistance debuff on target, but because Streak is Shock it will think you have 5k Physical Penetration converted to 5k Spell Penetration, but it doesn't do the same thing for the 5k Physical Resistance Debuff because it isn't on your character.

This 2nd issue is fixed with Soul Trap because not only does it dynamically scale, but the damage type gets converted from Magical damage to Physical Damage. It would be nice if more abilities behaved this way, but..... 1 thing to note.

ZOS must be semi-aware of this issue because they plan (planned?) on converting all sources of physical/spell penetration into just 1 stat, at least for debuffs and armor bonuses. During the PTS where they updated set bonuses from Physical/Spell Resistance to "Armor" unless a unique 5 piece bonus, they mentioned they would be doing a similar conversion for penetration in the future. The issue with this and why they may have seemed to forget about it for update 25, is certain abilities in the game like Ransack vs Pierce Armor have specific morph benefits related to penetration, meaning they have to redesign some abilities to include new effects. Sets same scenario.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
    Answer ✓
  • madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Cool.