Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

TCL Roku 6 series & ESO HDR

ZarkingFrued
ZarkingFrued
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey folks, just got PS4 pro and plugged it up to my 4k HDR TCL 6 series, and everything seemed severely dark. Note that the TV is around $700+ so a professional calibration for $200 doesn't make much sense, and it may not even have the deep settings to calibrate it. I've played around with the settings quite a bit and found some settings that help, but daytime in game looks like dusk and nighttime offers little detail. The colors are great when it's something with a bright effect, as well as the overall graphics, but something as simple as making out mild detail of a character from a short distance requires me to get up close and personal to make out the details. Wondering if anyone else has had this experience with this model of TV, and what settings or calibrations you have made to make it better. Is it possible to play in 4K and simply switch off the HDR? Or is it possible to get the deep darks using HDR while still allowing enough light to look like actual daytime and bring out where the brights should be dominant? If your only advice is to get a PC then please take those comments to a PC section of the forum, I'd like to see this thread help others with this fairly popular model of TV. Cnet and plenty of tech review sites quote it as the best TV under $1000 so I imagine I'm not the only lowly PS4/Xbox guy who has purchased it.
Edited by ZarkingFrued on February 11, 2020 3:55PM
  • rustle911
    rustle911
    ✭✭✭
    What settings exactly did you play with? It sounds like you have contrast/gamma/black settings issues. How customizable are your picture settings? A lot of TV's have an auto detect function where they will change the picture settings automatically based on what is connected. I would probably start in those areas. HDR is hit or miss depending on the TV. With my Sony it really saturates and accentuates color, with my Samsung I can barely tell a difference.
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rustle911 wrote: »
    What settings exactly did you play with? It sounds like you have contrast/gamma/black settings issues. How customizable are your picture settings? A lot of TV's have an auto detect function where they will change the picture settings automatically based on what is connected. I would probably start in those areas. HDR is hit or miss depending on the TV. With my Sony it really saturates and accentuates color, with my Samsung I can barely tell a difference.

Backlight settings mostly, and temperature. I can set gamma, and there are some color balance options in the phone app options. I'm an amateur when it comes to 4k and HDR lol. I picked up CNets settings, but had to adjust backlight to higher and set another setting for "brightest". Also have game mode on, and all of the other odd settings off like action smoothing ect. It's so dark I'm honestly debating on turning HDR off on the PS4 itself. Everything just looks tinted. zyg4pkvprhv5.jpg
    Edited by ZarkingFrued on February 11, 2020 6:31PM
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind folks, any feedback is welcome and I come to you with complete humility as I know little. Also, why do my clips look horrible when I'm gaming in HDR? If this is going to be a regular issue I'd rather just not use HDR at all since I upload clips regularly and don't want them to look terrible with weird colors that are entirely different from my experience when playing
    Edited by ZarkingFrued on February 11, 2020 7:06PM
  • rustle911
    rustle911
    ✭✭✭
    So, the picture mode is probably the first thing you'll want to try changing. Most TV's allow you to change this while looking at the picture so you can see the effect. Start there as all of those modes use preset values. Generally for what you seem to be looking for, I would suggest "Vivid" or something similar. If you want to self tune, Start your gamma at 1 or 0. game mode on noise reduction on, action smoothing on, color to 50 if the scale is 0-100, Contrast to 100. At this point you can adjust backlight and brightness in 5 point increments until you get the desired "Shine". Adjust the other settings in 5 point increments until you get the right amount of detail and color saturation for your preference. Tuning these things unfortunately is all in the eye of the beholder. If it's all it's cracked up to be, then you should be able to have the game up on the screen while making the adjustments. I don't know about the LED motion clarity option, but if it were me, I'd turn it on just to see what it does.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so a professional calibration for $200 doesn't make much sense, and it may not even have the deep settings to calibrate it. I've played around with the settings quite a bit and found some settings that help, but daytime in game looks like dusk and nighttime offers little detail. T

If you can get access to the Internet on the TV, just find one of the 1000's of Grayscale Calibration Images out there and use that. Its free.

https://www.google.com/search?q=calibrate+tv&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS862US862&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_zaaRz8rnAhXJGM0KHepWD1wQ_AUoA3oECA0QBQ&biw=1469&bih=838

Use some instruction you find on a website (basically 50% brightness for a start)

Then use the In game Gamma Adjustment to fine tune the game.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    so a professional calibration for $200 doesn't make much sense, and it may not even have the deep settings to calibrate it. I've played around with the settings quite a bit and found some settings that help, but daytime in game looks like dusk and nighttime offers little detail. T

If you can get access to the Internet on the TV, just find one of the 1000's of Grayscale Calibration Images out there and use that. Its free.

https://www.google.com/search?q=calibrate+tv&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS862US862&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_zaaRz8rnAhXJGM0KHepWD1wQ_AUoA3oECA0QBQ&biw=1469&bih=838

Use some instruction you find on a website (basically 50% brightness for a start)

Then use the In game Gamma Adjustment to fine tune the game.

Hey thanks, I'll try this
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, for calibrating Color, which is trickier to do, use this. It has images you use with the included Mylar to set up color balance

Disney WOW: World of Wonder (Single-Disc DVD) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00567TCD8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VbcsEbNXMVCGS
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"