Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

With update? reinstall on new SSD6 m.2?

Bpryr_125
Bpryr_125
Installed a new m.2 SSd6 1TB card about a month ago. With the reinstalling of Eso. I think it would be the perfect time to swap drives I have ESO on. Correct? Should i totally uninstall the previous Game completely the day before, correct?
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's kinda common sense. Unless you somehow want ESO to be installed on two separate drives, but I doubt your PC will appreciate that.

I've reinstalled the game on a new external SSD for my Xbox and even having the game read through a USB3.0 cable to the console everything loads much faster. I bet with an internal SSD you'd see vast improvement in load times.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Bpryr_125
    Bpryr_125
    Game is Currently on a 500GB SSD card
  • Bpryr_125
    Bpryr_125
    Mainly asking if I should totally uninstall before the Patch day of re-download. But you are right the choice is common sense.

M.2 blows SSd out the water comparably
  • Bpryr_125
    Bpryr_125
    Traditional 7200 RPM HDD: 160 MB/s
    SATA III SSD: 600 MB/s
    NVME M.2 SSD: 3500 MB/s

Butter :smiley:
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bpryr_125 wrote: »

Makes no difference what you have. You get long load screens and same low fps regardless. My wife's pc has nvme and mine sata ssd. When we queue for dungeons or swap zones, load characters etc. its totally random. Sometimes I'm already in dungeon way before her and sometimes she's first. And when she had her old pc, eso was on hdd and still loaded faster half the time. So it's more about their shi$$y servers than anything else.
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »

Makes no difference what you have. You get long load screens and same low fps regardless. My wife's pc has nvme and mine sata ssd. When we queue for dungeons or swap zones, load characters etc. its totally random. Sometimes I'm already in dungeon way before her and sometimes she's first. And when she had her old pc, eso was on hdd and still loaded faster half the time. So it's more about their shi$$y servers than anything else.

Exactly.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are theoretical maximums of the interface, not the actual speeds, which vary widely depending on use case. In any case yes, you can get much higher speeds on a SATA SSD than on a SATA HDD, and higher still on an m.2. By the way, m.2 is a form factor, not an interface. m.2 drives work over PCIe, so you also need to make sure you have enough PCIe lanes to get the full benefit as some chipsets don't have enough to run the GPU and additional PCIe devices at full speed.

TL;DR: Slap it on the m.2.
    Kurat wrote: »

That is very untrue. You may still get occasional long loading screens, which I suspect are server-related. But loading times in general are much shorter on an SSD than on an HDD.
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Define loading times.
    Loading times are the transfer of information from the storage to active memory.

SSDs can increase this.
    It does not increase performance as performance is the relation between active memory and the software itself.

Do not buy an SSD for anything other than faster more stable loading.