The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

More Scrimshaws, please.

Anska
Anska
✭✭✭
I really like the idea, that you can find ivory and either use it as furniture as it is or use it as a material for different furniture objects. However, it never made much sense to me, that all the scrimshaw designs we have are from Summerset, where very few mammoths live. So now that we are actually venturing into Mammoth-country, is there a chance that we could get some new, nordic scrimshaw designs, please?
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's awful. Players will start farming mammoths for ivory. We already have some disgusting quests involving mammoths slaughter. Please, enough of this. Yes, this is just a video game. These mammoths don't exist, they are 0 and 1. Yet animal slaughter is disgusting in any form.
    Options
  • Anska
    Anska
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I doubt that with all the ivory floating around since Cyrodilic Collections started supplying their workers in Murkmire with salty mammoth meat and at least two world-bosses being mammoths, mammoths will be in any more danger than they currently are, if there are a few more furnishing recipes requiring ivory.

(Not to mention that all medium armor is made from leather.)
    Options
  • WolfStar07
    WolfStar07
    ✭✭✭
    Ivory is a pretty common drop, and from sources other than mammoths. There is no reason to think that adding more designs is going to somehow result in a mammoth farm.
    Options
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    myskyrim26 wrote: »
    No, that's awful. Players will start farming mammoths for ivory. We already have some disgusting quests involving mammoths slaughter. Please, enough of this. Yes, this is just a video game. These mammoths don't exist, they are 0 and 1. Yet animal slaughter is disgusting in any form.

Bleh high horse get off it. Its a game. There are already tons of animal farming spots to kill them for their skin. Auridon wolves, summerset Zoo, riften tigers. Its nothing new and this is already apart of the game. Go have a look at chinas dog consumption and killing and pitch a fit on that ya? 10 million a year estimated. Skined and cooked alive. Thats real horror right there. Get mad at that.
    Options
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you serious?
    Options
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet animal slaughter is disgusting in any form.

How do you play this game without partaking in any animal slaughter at all exactly?... Do you just... avoid every quest, trial, and dungeon that requires you to kill animals?...

Ontopic: Much as I like the scrimshaws (and their high crafting cost) I'd like to see assets already in the game added. Weapons, armors, etc. It's a shame how I can manage to find 900 weapons 1200 armor pieces and 400 jewelry pieces a day and yet my character is still too handicapped to put any of them on a table, shelf, bed, or anything else I might put it on.
    Options
  • Anska
    Anska
    ✭✭✭
    Ontopic: Much as I like the scrimshaws (and their high crafting cost) I'd like to see assets already in the game added. Weapons, armors, etc. It's a shame how I can manage to find 900 weapons 1200 armor pieces and 400 jewelry pieces a day and yet my character is still too handicapped to put any of them on a table, shelf, bed, or anything else I might put it on.

I wouldn't mind weapon-racks or other forms of armor displays either. I think it would be cool if, whenever you learned all parts of a style or earned a decorative outfit, it was accompanied with a furnishable representation - be it on a rack, in a display-case or maybe a diagram for the wall would be a nice option for some items.

So, maybe let me rephrase: I am sure, that there will be some small decorative furnishing nick-nack in the upcoming chapter and I would enjoy it, if maybe two or three of those would continue the scrimshaw idea, since I think it is very fitting for Skyrim.

Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yet animal slaughter is disgusting in any form.

How do you play this game without partaking in any animal slaughter at all exactly?... Do you just... avoid every quest, trial, and dungeon that requires you to kill animals?...

I prefer not to kill animals in the game, too.

Obviously, I have to sometimes, but I prefer not to have to set out to do it.

I kill dragons, but they're a) mythical and b) powerful; they're not just some poor critter running around.

Also, killing them is unlikely to legitimise the killing of dragons irl. :smiley:

At the end of the day, it's a preference.

Yes, it's just a game and yes, no animal actually dies, but if an activity is not fun for you, why would you want to do it in a game, any more than in real life?

...and as for the dogs, obviously that should stop, but it's quite hard to stop people doing something, in a country you don't live in, thousands of miles away.

People do what they can, but it would probably take Western governments (politely) negotiating with the Chinese government and then their willing intervention (and new laws) to stop people doing it and I'm not sure that is high on the priority list, right now?

It should be, but it probably isn't...

Apparently, starting wars is more popular with the powers that be than ending cruelty to animals.
    Edited by Tigerseye on February 4, 2020 3:18PM
    Options
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

Ahh I was more like... genuinely curious how they manage to do it, if they actually are playing without killing animals that is.
    Killing em by necessity I can see I have guildies who don't like to kill any of the passive animals.
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ahh I was more like... genuinely curious how they manage to do it, if they actually are playing without killing animals that is.
    Killing em by necessity I can see I have guildies who don't like to kill any of the passive animals.

Oh, OK.

Well, you can obviously run around the non-passive ones, rather than pulling them - it's not that hard to avoid them, or run far enough away that you drop aggro, if you do.

Although, admittedly, they will follow you for miles, in this game. :lol:

Sometimes I will kill them, if I particularly want to farm a node, or not get stuck in combat, but I get way less leather than I do other mats, because (as I say) I generally prefer not to.
    Options
  • Anska
    Anska
    ✭✭✭

As a Nightblade you can get pretty far without killing anything but your quest-target and in quests with less lethal objectives, you can sometimes get things done without harming a single mob - beast, men or mer. Obviously that doesn't include dungeons and trials, but as far as the solo content goes you can have a pretty unbloody game if you like. I enjoy sneaking around and playing ghost, as you might have guessed.

However, to ask the uncomfortable question (and probably derail my own thread): How come killing animals specifically is an issue but making farm runs for a certain set, thus effectively commiting mass murder during an armed robbery, is okay? Is it because those mobs are deemed evil by the faction your character is currently working for? Because, while I am very much for treating real animals well, I find this part of the discussion hypocritical.

PS: Nothing against having personal guidelines for what and what not to do in a game, it's something I guess we all have to some degree. And I was so shocked, when I for the first time tried to "pet" one of those darling little netch calves ...
    Edited by Anska on February 4, 2020 5:19PM
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the use of ivory to make the scrimshaw, but I think all of those furnishing plans are jewelry sketches. I have already stated my concerns about how the increase of those plans impact the limited number of jewelry improvement mats most of us have.

As for both animals and NPCs, my rule is generally leave them alone if their outline is not red and it’s not required for a quest.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • Salix_alba
    Salix_alba
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anska wrote: »
    I really like the idea, that you can find ivory and either use it as furniture as it is or use it as a material for different furniture objects. However, it never made much sense to me, that all the scrimshaw designs we have are from Summerset, where very few mammoths live. So now that we are actually venturing into Mammoth-country, is there a chance that we could get some new, nordic scrimshaw designs, please?

you didn't notice how much Bosmer furniture is made from mammoth tusks not as an actual ingredient but if you look at the pieces yes its made from tusks since they aren't supposed to use wood the Altmer probably import the tusks from Valenwood. So the appearance of scrimshaw in Summerset makes a lot of sense. the mammoths should drop ivory same with the horkers
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Salix_alba wrote: »
    the mammoths should drop ivory same with the horkers

The mammoths do - not sure about the horkers?

Edited by Tigerseye on February 5, 2020 2:04PM
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Salix_alba wrote: »
    the mammoths should drop ivory same with the horkers

The mammoths do - not sure about the horkers?

Echatere do sometimes
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options