The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bug: Addon can withdraw from bank when opening a storage chest

Gandamir
Gandamir
✭✭✭
Hello,

Today I deposited some items into my bank (using the banker) when in my house. I then walked over to a storage chest, and my add-on BankManager (https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info753-BankManagerRevived.html) managed to withdraw items from my bank that were set to withdraw automatically.

I realize that addons are not necessarily supported, but it seems to be on your end and not the addons side. :)
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    First of all, since this issue involves an add-on, I suppose we can assume that you are playing TESO with a PC or Mac. However, on which mega-server did you discover this issue? ZOS cannot investigate it without that information.*
    Gandamir wrote: »
    Hello,
    Today I deposited some items into my bank (using the banker) when in my house. I then walked over to a storage chest, and my add-on BankManager (https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info753-BankManagerRevived.html) managed to withdraw items from my bank that were set to withdraw automatically.

I realize that addons are not necessarily supported, but it seems to be on your end and not the addons side. :)
    You must re-load the add-ons -- with the banking management add-on excluded -- on the character, then repeat the actions exactly as you did before to see whether your character can access the bank while interacting with the homestead storage unit. If that does not occur, then the add-on has an issue, not the game software.

Of course, since your character cannot simultaneously interact with both (1) the homestead storage chest and (2) the Personal Banker, simultaneous access to the respective contents of both should never occur. However, while the Personal Banker is present, an add-on might have access to the bank account regardless of whether the character is interacting with the Personal Banker. That is not necessarily a flaw in the design of the game software.

Instead, whether an add-on does anything "automatically" in any context is an issue with that add-on.

EDIT: typographic error

Edited by Shadowshire on February 4, 2020 3:09AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Gandamir
    Gandamir
    ✭✭✭
    This was on EU/PC.

I cannot access the Bank via the default UI, however the addon was able to access and withdraw Bank items when not using the Banker.

So yes, this is an Addon issue. But it is ALSO an API issue in that the bank is allowing LUA code to withdraw from it when the bank is not being accessed.

Expanded Explanation:
    The addon is configured to automatically withdraw all surveys when my crafter opens the bank. As I needed inventory space while moving items between chests, I deposited several surveys into my bank. I then walked over to the storage chest, and when I opened it, the addon was able to withdraw from the bank via LUA commands.

This should not be possible.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Gandamir
    .... But it is ALSO an API issue in that the bank is allowing LUA code to withdraw from it when the bank is not being accessed.
    Yes, I see what you mean. While a Personal Banker is present, evidently there is nothing to stop any character's add-on(s) from accessing that character's bank account.

So the issue is that an add-on can access a character's bank account regardless of whether the character is currently interacting with the Personal Banker. Access to any bank account should be available only while a character is interacting with either a Banker NPC, or a Personal Banker.

It is worth recognizing that any other player's character can access their bank via the Personal Banker summoned by any player character, and any add-on in use by that player character will have access to that character's bank account. However, only one player's character can interact with the Personal Banker during any given period of time.

It does not seem likely that the same limitation currently applies to add-ons which access the Bank account of the character for which the add-on is loaded and running. I cannot recall whether I've ever read any reports about it happening, however.

As far as I know, that is not possible with a Banker NPC. Each player's character must interact with the Banker NPC independently for any add-on for which that character is in use to also interact with that player character's Bank account.

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And see if the original issue is repeatable to see if if it was a menu function that got stuck one time. Still an issue, but that would be one of those Occasional or Rare things. Also helps in troubleshooting.

I recently had a guild store listing from one trader follow me to another one. So, your banker issue could be a result of some lag.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gandamir wrote: »

It is not that addons are not necessarily supported, they are not supported at all.

Unless you are the person who created or maintains the addon it seems you are just guessing at where the issue is. Zos will not review the addon in question as it is not theirs to deal with.

I suggest you go to the addon creator for help on this matter. If there I san issue it is for the issue it is for the addon creator to review and fix or communicate with Zos in the unlikely the issue does lie on Zos' end.

Edit: OP later suggests this is an API issue but does not seem to have analyzed the addon sufficiently as it seems to just be guessing. Again, report it to the addon creator/maintainer so they can properly review the issue. Zos will bother to look at it because it is not their code. That is part of the not supporting addons aspect. They would merely suggest you turn the addon off.
    Edited by idk on February 1, 2020 9:36PM
  • Gandamir
    Gandamir
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Edit: OP later suggests this is an API issue but does not seem to have analyzed the addon sufficiently as it seems to just be guessing. [...] Zos will bother to look at it because it is not their code. That is part of the not supporting addons aspect. They would merely suggest you turn the addon off.

I am suggesting this is an API issues as I *HAVE* gone through the code of the addon to see what it is doing. It is calling the API and manages to withdraw from the bank when speaking to the storage chest.

So yes, it is ZOS code (LUA API) that allows access to the full bank to withdraw items if you know their IDs and they are in the bank.