Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Most "engaging" class/build?? (pve)

Joxer61
Joxer61
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, this is for sure a loaded question as it is so subjective to what each person finds fun and all but what the hell...here goes...
I have one of every class/spec there is and am struggling big time to find one that is as the title says, engaging. What I mean is that most are played using one or two skills on back bar, swap and use maybe 3 if you are lucky. Now, that's just combat skills, not your little buffs like trap and all that, just combat/attack.
Is there a class that folks find to be pretty challenging in terms of skills used? It could very well be I just haven't found the right one, and if so, educate me please. Love the game and would really like to be able to settle into a class and get into trials and such more.....just lately its a struggle. I think the changes every 3 months don't help either but meh, that's the nature of an MMO.
Thanks all! ;)
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    PVE is all basically the same, meh.

PVP though.... Stam Sorc with enough mag regen to use streak and dark deal frequently. Stampede to chase down targets. HELLA fun, speediest brawler you can get.

Biased.. <3
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in love with crystal fragments. <3
    But ye, combat is silly,, and usually you would prefer easier rotation so you can actually focus on the mechanics
    Edited by zvavi on January 31, 2020 8:09AM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thats a really personal question and I think it differs from update to update. Im just back after a long break, I stopped playing just before Murkmire so I dont know the current standings of all classes/specs.

In the past Ive always liked the Nightblade play style because its revolved around of Grim Focus. It forced you to pay attention to light attacks, the duration of the buff itself and the amount of stacks. I mainly played Magblade because I liked the ranged play style and it was pretty strong in groups with the Master Architect set.

Before that I had a lot of fun with magDK as well, its a bit more difficult to be in melee range in light armor but whole fire theme is cool.

Recently Ive got back into the game and rolled an Orc Stamcro. Leveling-up has been pretty fun, the ult gen really is on another level. I also like that the class skills tend to favor stam builds while the four base game classes are more magicka oriented. Not sure yet what it will be like in vet dungeons/trials but Im looking forward it!

Maybe you can describe what you preferred play style is?
    Ranged or melee and magicka or stamina?
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe you can describe what you preferred play style is?
    Ranged or melee and magicka or stamina?

Well in all the other MMOs (WOW,GW2,FFwhatever) I played tank or a melee dps..aka Enhance shaman, Warrior, etc. While never really a fan of the mage type I am not against it. Thought StamSorc would be the thing but its wrecking blow til BA procs and repeat.....so boring sadly. And yea, I too love the fire of a Magdk but the melee and light armor feel just was like...why?
    But, in spite of whether or not they will be "bottom tier" as many say, I do think a StamDK might be the ticket. Several class skills and if that Stone Giant is fixed that adds another level as well. We shall see.....
    Thanks all for replies, good food for thought but yea, it is very subjective to personal styles for sure. ;)
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PvE healer mixing healing and damage. It’s the only interesting pve spec I’ve found.

You have to balance healing and doing damage, plus you have to adapt to your group and pay attention.

Every other role except feels like it could be done with a long macro. In high dps groups there aren’t even mechanics to do.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 31, 2020 10:53AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    PvE healer mixing healing and damage. It’s the only interesting pve spec I’ve found.

You have to balance healing and doing damage, plus you have to adapt to your group and pay attention.

Every other role except feels like it could be done with a long macro. In high dps groups there aren’t even mechanics to do.

yea, its does feel that way at times....but, as healer, have never played as I have to much respect for the role to attempt it....very unappreciated role/class for sure, in any MMO!! ;)
    My hat is off to those that can do it!
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running a MagNecro right now. You have two damage skills that need corpses to be in the right place at the right time, which isn't always easy to do if you play ranged like me. Also, the Necro's tethers aren't on the global cooldown, so you can kind of cast them at the same time as another skill, which is kind of interesting.
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually in the time since posting have kinda fell for MagSorc...go figure. Many skills to pop off and damn if that frags doesn't proc a lot. Normally not a huge fan of proc abilities but this one...not to shabby.
    While never been a fan of the mage classes this just might turn me. Only downside, if you can call it that, is that it seems like everyone has one...lol. I tend to go for the underdog but in that case should have stuck with Stamden.
    Cheers!
  • Brandathorbel
    Brandathorbel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »
    Ok, this is for sure a loaded question as it is so subjective to what each person finds fun and all but what the hell...here goes...
    I have one of every class/spec there is and am struggling big time to find one that is as the title says, engaging. What I mean is that most are played using one or two skills on back bar, swap and use maybe 3 if you are lucky. Now, that's just combat skills, not your little buffs like trap and all that, just combat/attack.
    Is there a class that folks find to be pretty challenging in terms of skills used? It could very well be I just haven't found the right one, and if so, educate me please. Love the game and would really like to be able to settle into a class and get into trials and such more.....just lately its a struggle. I think the changes every 3 months don't help either but meh, that's the nature of an MMO.
    Thanks all! ;)

warden you use every skill on your bar usually. I find it is the best class by far for anyone that enjoys just running around overland doing whatever
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xbobx15 wrote: »
    Thanks all! ;)

warden you use every skill on your bar usually. I find it is the best class by far for anyone that enjoys just running around overland doing whatever

YES! And I do love the Warden, only downside, crappy thing is I have been kicked from groups for being one....even before they ahd a chance to see how bad I sucked!!! Just based off what I was playing......sucks.
    Edited by Joxer61 on January 31, 2020 1:04PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really like mag warden. It just connects with me. (Also a big fan of the underdog) I often find myself playing a pseudo healer/dps and it performs that well.

The Mag Necro also plays healer/dps quite well and bringing in major vulnerability is a major plus for group play.

Odd to me that stam dk was on your list. That’s one class I can’t barely stand to play. It just don’t click with me.

Mag Sorc is by far the number one class picked amongst players. I think Zos revealed that last year or maybe earlier.

The game swings a lot. At one time heavy attack pet Sorc was the number one pick. Night blades were terrible. Stam warden was number 1 highest dps for a short while. Mag Necro came out of the box as lowest parsing class. Mag Dk goes from hot to cold every few months. Things change.

Play what you like. Maybe what you can do well with under pressure. Stam Necro has been the strongest dps for a minute now, so loads of people flock to them and find themselves being floor dps. It’s not the easiest to play is all I mean.

• Brandathorbel
    Brandathorbel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xbobx15 wrote: »
    Thanks all! ;)

YES! And I do love the Warden, only downside, crappy thing is I have been kicked from groups for being one....even before they ahd a chance to see how bad I sucked!!! Just based off what I was playing......sucks.

weird i have never been kicked from a group for being any class. Wardens are great to take out trash mobs with shalks. Unfortunately there are a lot of unintelligent players that think st damage is the only thing that matters.
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bottom line starting in trials you will spend some time (large amount in lower damage groups when you start) just repeating the same rotation over and over without much engagement honestly. But as damage gets higher and punishing mechanics that becomes less of a majority of the time: damage makes phases shorter and mechanics make you learn to keep up rotation while doing mechanics.

Vet DLC dungeons and arenas feel more engaging to me as there's not much time spent stationary parsing. You might get the most enjoyment starting your end-game there going after skins and such.

Support roles can often be less repetitive in trials. Healer/DPS hybrids are probably the most engaging because you don't really have a rotation but priorities which you triage constantly.

For pure trial DPS there are some you likely may not find engaging by which I mean static repetitive rotations:
    Stamcro, Stamplar, MagDK

On my Stamplar I have tons of fun in dungeon/arena with mechanics, flex skill slots, and more group support than even some mags. But in trials, the parses can feel almost mindless sometimes to me.

Wardens/(mag)Necro have X-a-b-X-c-d-X-e-f.... rotation. Some people find it engaging (and play it dynamically); others just hate it.

On my magden: I find it really engaging as with Fetcher I take upon myself to fetcher adds. So, instead of rotating on the priority add, I weave in fetchers instead of spam skill to tag all adds. I find that debuffing aspect engaging. Yes warden's are <2% represented in trials as DPS. There's reasons for it at the highest level, but anything less than that minor vuln is usually not 100% making warden DD's valuable. By the time you get to the highest level the class dynamics will likely change, so I would not let that effect your current choice.

NB's and Sorc's have proc skills. NB's are less forgiving: getting every light attack and hitting proc skill exactly every 5 skills is important on NBs. You'll know if you find that engaging or not.

I don't know much about the other few.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you mention "static' vs "dynamic' rotations...what exactly is that?
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PVE is all basically the same, meh.

PVP though.... Stam Sorc with enough mag regen to use streak and dark deal frequently. Stampede to chase down targets. HELLA fun, speediest brawler you can get.

Biased.. <3

Seriously, Hybrid sorc is such a fun class to play
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I really like mag warden. It just connects with me. (Also a big fan of the underdog) I often find myself playing a pseudo healer/dps and it performs that well.

Yep, I fell in love with magden immediately... this was back when the class was the absolute lowest in terms of DPS output, and it was fun to see what I could do with it DPS-wise. Almost every single skill in the class kit is awesome (I've not really used Frozen Gate, and I think that's the one exception along with maybe the vine swingy thing), so it's completely viable to load up both bars with Warden skills and perform well. It all flows really smoothly too, and the rotation can be as dynamic as you want it to be.

Completely biased here, of course, but as Kyle said, it really just connects with me in a way that no other class has.

• Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, I fell in love with magden immediately... this was back when the class was the absolute lowest in terms of DPS output, and it was fun to see what I could do with it DPS-wise. Almost every single skill in the class kit is awesome (I've not really used Frozen Gate, and I think that's the one exception along with maybe the vine swingy thing), so it's completely viable to load up both bars with Warden skills and perform well. It all flows really smoothly too, and the rotation can be as dynamic as you want it to be.

Completely biased here, of course, but as Kyle said, it really just connects with me in a way that no other class has.

yea...funny thing is I find myself going back to it.....hmmm ;)
    and in spite of the dramas about not being any good in trials I saw a parse on esologs that hit 68k! so yea, they can go bite.....
    https://www.esologs.com/reports/A4grT7Dd1JpqytwH#fight=last
    Edited by Joxer61 on January 31, 2020 5:04PM
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've played every class in both mag and stam dps, and each one has different things it brings to the table. The best thing to do would be to find which class you enjoy the play style of the most, or one that is the best fit for you. This also applies to race as well. Every race can be every class and role, and what you choose determines what bonuses you'll be adding to that build.

I've found I enjoyed playing a Nord on a few magicka classes because of their resistances, ulti gen, and extra health that made for better survivability. I also play Argonian on a few stamina classes, as I love the bonus to swimming, healing, and tri-potion passives.

In the end, it's all up to you how you build and play your characters, as there's no absolute best class or race, regardless of what others think. You and only you can know what you play best with.
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Joxer61

Static rotation means you repeat the same order of skill casts typically over 1 or 2 rotations. Like Buff-DoT-DoT-DoT-Spam-....-Spam with sometimes a special class thing thrown in there. Very simple one's only require one bar swap per rotation. All classes can use a capable static rotation. Some see almost no decrease in damage (so most don't bother with those) but others can see a significant drop in damage using static.

Dynamic means you can skills by priority. So, you might start static and then re-cast skills as they run out of time by priority.
    Generally, classes that don't have a lot of skill lengths that line up will tend to benefit more from this type of rotation. It's harder to learn and keep up in content but potentially more "engaging". Some rotations have almost continuous bar swapping to hit those high priorities and take advantage of bar swap canceling. Though that does require good Ping/FPS or it get messed up easily in content. Eg I do it fine on dummies and usually dungeons, but in some trials performance negates any benefit so I tone it down.

It sounds like you are between MagSorc and Wardens, I say have fun with all of them. All 3 are forgiving classes to enter into PvP and fun/easier classes to succeed at vMA too. Both the Sorc and Magden are very capable healers as well if you want to try that out. You probably will anyway simply to make dungeon wait time faster (stamden is more than capable enough as a (full or off) healer for dungeons). Down the road you might wind up with 1 Mag DD, 1 Stam DD, and 1 Healer out of those toons.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

and in spite of the dramas about not being any good in trials I saw a parse on esologs that hit 68k! so yea, they can go bite.....

Yeah, since Scalebreaker it's gotten some nice buffs and is actually really strong, and it's only going to get stronger with the changes coming in U25. I think it's been underestimated since U23 as well; more people are playing it now and it's becoming clear that it's much stronger than it's been given credit for. It still does need to be given more group utility for trials, but I think we're moving in a really great direction.

I'd highly recommend giving it a try :) It lacks the raw power of, say, stamplar, but stamplars' rotation is pretty braindead and not really engaging, plus there's the squishiness and the fact that you use almost no class skills (empowering sweep, jabs, potl, ritual of retribution, then the rest of your skills will likely be fighters guild, mostly for the passives). I'll admit that I got swept up by my stamplar for a few weeks; the sheer power is intoxicating. But it's just not as satisfying to play as the magden, who in the end is stronger overall- I can't solo world bosses/Skyreach/Craglorn quests comfortably on the stamplar, whereas the magden can just shred through that stuff. Plus, the magden playstyle and toolkit is just way more fun :)
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, since Scalebreaker it's gotten some nice buffs and is actually really strong, and it's only going to get stronger with the changes coming in U25. I think it's been underestimated since U23 as well; more people are playing it now and it's becoming clear that it's much stronger than it's been given credit for. It still does need to be given more group utility for trials, but I think we're moving in a really great direction.

I'd highly recommend giving it a try :) It lacks the raw power of, say, stamplar, but stamplars' rotation is pretty braindead and not really engaging, plus there's the squishiness and the fact that you use almost no class skills (empowering sweep, jabs, potl, ritual of retribution, then the rest of your skills will likely be fighters guild, mostly for the passives). I'll admit that I got swept up by my stamplar for a few weeks; the sheer power is intoxicating. But it's just not as satisfying to play as the magden, who in the end is stronger overall- I can't solo world bosses/Skyreach/Craglorn quests comfortably on the stamplar, whereas the magden can just shred through that stuff. Plus, the magden playstyle and toolkit is just way more fun :)

lol, that's me in a nutshell! Loved the Stamplar for awhile due to the power and stuff melted...but then it all felt kinda blah....same skill over and over...jab,jab,jab,jab,jab….oh, did I mention...jab?! So yea, 100% on the Magden for sure! ;)
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MagDK is super popular because it's a pyromancer, super resonant, but they kind of have a very simiple rotation.
    If you are looking for something more challenging then Necromancer you have to use corpses and clever positioning for max damage.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I will start by saying depends on mood, life, stress tons of stuff like that ...

But...warden bugs me because of the color of the animations - unreasonable, but there you are.
    Stamina characters/builds I do struggle with most of the time. Not always, but for some reason magicka characters/approaches fit better in my head.

The two characters I keep coming back to are:

MagSorc Altmer with healing Winged Twilight and basically a lightning build. The first character that I really "got" and can survive most everything.

StamSorc Orismer Tank - sorta - she's a non-traditional build with basically every set I could find that procs electric damage; she is certainly NOT a BIS/trial tank, but she is fun as heck, and again, can survive and taunt and handle most everything. Unlike most tanks she can solo a lot, as her armor is her offense.
    Edited by newtinmpls on February 1, 2020 6:02AM
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    any of you lot run a stam sorc as DW? I ask because that wrecking blow spam is sooooooooo boring...….whereas stabbing something just "feels" better, but will damage tank? ;)
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I ran stamsorc through Scalebreaker. In dungeon/arena you can easily opt to become invincible with Bloodthirst, Bloodcraze, and Surge running and you don't loose more than a % or two of DPS to get it. Brawler + Surge on 2h works too. I've since converted mine to PvP as yea same I'm not as much of a fan of wrecking blow in PvE, but you can certainly use DW on a Sorc today. Note they have a simple rotation not dissimilar to Stamplar so I don't know if it will fit your stated goals above.

O "damage tank"; that's a whole other can of worms. Generally, I'd say do it for fun but know it is more of an off-tank trial thing in advanced groups if you are trying to be efficient. I'd direct you to the thread below to see how a tank that focuses on tanking ends up doing more damage (indirectly) than a tank that does damage directly with skills. Yes super low level stuff you can damage tank, but at that point I would just run a stam DPS slotting a chain and taunt.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/416797/royal-poets-guide-to-traditional-tanking-in-veteran-dungeons/p1