The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please give cyrodiil a performance mode

Zer0oo
Zer0oo
✭✭✭✭✭
Right now the performance during most of the evening is really bad but i think it could be partially improved if we would change the cyro a little during the high load times. I would introduce a performance mode that would deactivate unneeded things during this time.

Calculation Reduction:
  1. despawn all not cyrodiil related npcs (all quest npcs and overland enemies if someone wants to do them they can go in the empty campaign)
  2. despawn all guards - during prime time the are most of the time useless anyway against the mass of player and the AI does not work anyways if the server is under stress
  3. deactivate the Resilient CP passive during this time - really this passive has no cooldown and can proc other procs that can proc procs
  4. deactive cross healing outside of your grp (or at least all hots) - potential major performance increase
  5. deactivate pet targeting - it is just an additional target to calculate

Gameplay:
  • You can not respawn(only teleport per stone) at a keep if all 3 resources are taken - helps to split players
  • resource flags behave like Imperial city flags and do not turn so fast if many player stack on them - encourages to split up to take resources
  • siege can no longer be repaired or put back in the inventory (put back should be replaced with destroy). This forces the players to use siege weapons more tactical or spend a lot of ap on them - It should also help with the performance since the eso devs said that siege weapon are especial heavy on performance and right now siege are so extreme cheap that almost everyone sets them up without thinking
  • deactivate catapults - i just think that those massive big aoes really do hurt the performance

Other
  • give players in this time a generic outfit or at least give players the option to enable this for other players (assuming you also no longer get the data for the outfit from the server)
  • give players in this time a generic mount or at least give players the option to enable this for other players (assuming you also no longer get the data for the outfit from the server)
  • deactivate foot steps
  • deactivate all other unneeded information or at least look if there are still unneeded information sent e.g. let player deactivate guilds(traiding) including chat or other information while being in cyro
  • implement a native way to exchange ultimate and resource stats with your teammates -> currently it is done with an addon and this more or less abuses another system and may cause additional load on the server
  • change all ccs to normal ccs, because all knock up or knock back ccs are just buggy as hell during prime time

@ZOS_BrianWheeler
@ZOS_RichLambert
Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
- Update 23
  • Delsskia
    Delsskia
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be much easier and WAY more effective if they would simply use Battle Spirit to disable all proc sets in Cyr. That would effectively take 1/2 of the calculations away which would increase performance tremendously.
    NA-PC
    Fantasia
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO already has settings graphic-wise that do increase performance.

My 10-year old pc can still do 45-60fps, 4K, on a gtx 970.
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EmEm_Oh wrote: »

I think you missed the point. This suggestion should mainly help the server during the prime time stress and not necessary increase fps on local clients.

45-60 fps in cyro while being in a big fight is actually quite impressive. I know players with really high end machines that do not reach this.
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zerging and large groups are truly the major issue that plague cyrodil performance. an easy fix for performance would be to reduce group size to 4, make all buffs and off heals work only on the people in your group. This will in turn reduce the size of the zergs and break up the bulk of the players in a campaign. Remove all proc damage and healing sets from PvP, remove forward camps and cap max health at 30k. This will all make PvP a much more fluid and fast paced experience, with people actually dying reducing congestion at high pop areas. On xbox in main campaign I play at single digit frames for hours on end, and emp keeps take hours to take with lagouts being what usually determines a winner. Unfortunately most main campaign cyrodil players prefer an easy laggy experience over a challenging one.
  • Rukia541
    Rukia541
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zer0oo wrote: »
    EmEm_Oh wrote: »

I think you missed the point. This suggestion should mainly help the server during the prime time stress and not necessary increase fps on local clients.

45-60 fps in cyro while being in a big fight is actually quite impressive. I know players with really high end machines that do not reach this.

He is definitely lying, lol. He even said 4k. My PC blows those specs out of the water and I get heavy fps issues in cyro, hell sometimes its not even during a fight. I'll be respawning to a keep somewhere , nothing going on around me, and BAM 20-30 fps with some epic stutter out of nowhere. I run the game on ULTRA outside of cyro. In cyro, my game looks like a *** potato, and it still makes no difference, so may as well suffer in ultra I guess.
  • canuckvirgo
    Zer0oo wrote: »
    Right now the performance during most of the evening is really bad but i think it could be partially improved if we would change the cyro a little during the high load times. I would introduce a performance mode that would deactivate unneeded things during this time.

Calculation Reduction:
    1. despawn all not cyrodiil related npcs (all quest npcs and overland enemies if someone wants to do them they can go in the empty campaign)
    2. despawn all guards - during prime time the are most of the time useless anyway against the mass of player and the AI does not work anyways if the server is under stress
    3. deactivate the Resilient CP passive during this time - really this passive has no cooldown and can proc other procs that can proc procs
    4. deactive cross healing outside of your grp (or at least all hots) - potential major performance increase
    5. deactivate pet targeting - it is just an additional target to calculate

Gameplay:
    • You can not respawn(only teleport per stone) at a keep if all 3 resources are taken - helps to split players
    • resource flags behave like Imperial city flags and do not turn so fast if many player stack on them - encourages to split up to take resources
    • siege can no longer be repaired or put back in the inventory (put back should be replaced with destroy). This forces the players to use siege weapons more tactical or spend a lot of ap on them - It should also help with the performance since the eso devs said that siege weapon are especial heavy on performance and right now siege are so extreme cheap that almost everyone sets them up without thinking
    • deactivate catapults - i just think that those massive big aoes really do hurt the performance

Other
    • give players in this time a generic outfit or at least give players the option to enable this for other players (assuming you also no longer get the data for the outfit from the server)
    • give players in this time a generic mount or at least give players the option to enable this for other players (assuming you also no longer get the data for the outfit from the server)
    • deactivate foot steps
    • deactivate all other unneeded information or at least look if there are still unneeded information sent e.g. let player deactivate guilds(traiding) including chat or other information while being in cyro
    • implement a native way to exchange ultimate and resource stats with your teammates -> currently it is done with an addon and this more or less abuses another system and may cause additional load on the server
    • change all ccs to normal ccs, because all knock up or knock back ccs are just buggy as hell during prime time

@ZOS_BrianWheeler
    @ZOS_RichLambert

FYI, on Xbox platform, we are also seeing very heavy lags and in multiple campaigns. At the start of the event, the issue was mainly in the Kaalgrontiid campaign, but now I see that heavy lag also in Laatvulon and the 7 day campaigns.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Multiple points made in the suggestion would require some serious reworks in the game, not to mention forcing players to group which antidotal evidence from recent issues in PC/EU suggests grouping adds to lag. So lots of work and some of the ideas seem counter to performance.

Not to mention other points change Cyrodiil as a whole, deactivating some types of siege. Probably not going to even get consideration for the same reasons Zos does not want skills performing differently in PvP vs PvE. Not to for get forcing all players to look the same is again something that is likely not going to happen given the lengths Zos has gone to provide us with the agility to create a unique look for our characters.

Great to think and suggest ideas. I am just pointing out some aspects of this one that I think will hinder it getting some consideration.
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @idk
    What points would require serious rework?
    As far as i know it could or could not but that is highly depended on how things are actually implemented. Since i do not know how they did actually implement things i only had to guess. But you sound like you know hot it is implemented, so feel free to tell me.

It seems i missed the statement that players grouping up does decrease the performance. Can you show me the statement, please.

I am kinda lost what you want to say. Siege should work the same in pve and pvp? What i suggested is a workaround for something that may or may not impact the performance heavily(only zos can test that and they gave the hit that siege really hurt performance). If it really hurts the performance, they should consider do we really need it or do player prefer a better performing pvp game without it.

Same goes for different looks. And here i have to agree this may need some more changing if done right. As nice as costume looks are, if you let players choose between looking good and a better working game in the high traffic hours, i am pretty confident that they would take the better performance.
    - Update 23
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems rather evident.

First, removing healing of players outside of the group would obviously require a serious rework of all skills. Not to leave out the forced grouping that would come with it and a disintegration of being an alliance vs just a bunch of small groups.

Second, a system that noted when prime time started and ended would require work. Especially since there is no system for that in game.

Coding the generic appearance of all characters and their mounts might not be so quick to complete. However, the bigger issue here is the benefit of this may be very little vs the work since the game is not calculating anything every second which is where most of the server load comes from. Might as well make all characters themselves look. Lets remove animations while we are at it and complete the change to make Cyrodiil look dull and boring.

That is just a start. Some might think these are easy but they have no idea about programing of a massive MMORPG like this.

I see my mistake in clarity where you became confused about siege. I should have done a paragraph break. I will add that your idea suggest that not being able to repair siege would help reduce server strain is baseless. Seige are cheap with or without repairs so it just seems to be a pointless point.

As for much of the ideas, especially the ones noted, but not including siege, would require skills and more to work differently in Cyrodiil vs outside of Cyrodiil.

Also, yes, you clearly missed the multiple threads a couple weeks ago where PC/EU could not group in Cyrodiil and they did not experience lag. It was shortly before MYM. It also works counter to one of your suggestions, if not all. Regardless, in the 11 days this thread has been around it does not seem to have garnered my interest. Probably not for the points I made but for the interest in the idea as a whole. I am sure Zos has seen the idea and will make up their own mind so that is not really important.