The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

PVP gear setup for a PVE magplar?

naturebased
naturebased
✭✭✭
Since the event I have an interest in PVP, and i want to have the gear to give me a fighting chance in fights, I was wondering what gear would be good for me to use. I was thinking off the top of my head maybe light of cyrodiil light armor 5 pieces, valkyn skoria head and shoulder in heavy, and rattlecage jewelry and staff. Any insight is appreciated
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which set are you using for armor, @naturebased?

There are other ways to get major sorcery than through a Rattlecage 5-piece ... such as slotting Entropy on your back bar for example. That opens up another “more interesting” 5-piece set for you in either heavy or light amor.

Many new PvP Templars start out in heavy armor ... and then change to light after getting acclimated. Totally your choice, however.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on January 28, 2020 10:03PM
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mageplar is primarily pve dps altmer. I have pvpd a lot on him on and off for years.

His current gear is bright throats, bloodspawn/grothdar x 2 heavy and crafty alfiq. Lightning staff front bar and sword and shield backbar.

Basically ill use extended ritual, rune focus and dampen magicka for buffs, hit degeneration, vamp bane, purifying light, toppling charge, crescent sweep and jabs all day.

You got your cleanse from ritual and heals from honor the dead and jabs. Solid survivability and damage with heaps of magicka.
    Edited by Haquor on January 29, 2020 12:02PM
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bloodspawn + New Moon or Rattlecage(If you're not using Degeneration) + Overwhelming Surge + Potentates

5/2 + Light staff + 1H n' Shield

That´s it, next question...
    Edited by yRaven on January 30, 2020 12:41AM
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't go heavy on a damage dealing templar. You lose too much crit and templar has a crit damage passive. You would feel the loss of damage, hence go light. The longer you PvP, the more glass cannon you become and this is totally viable on magplar, because you can compensate with heals, notably Sweeps, Living Dark, Extended Ritual and, of course, Honor the Dead.

For starting out I would recommend light armor, 2x damage sets or 1x damage, 1x sustain set. Lots of things are viable and near-equivalent. Front bar sets: Overwhelming Surge, New Moon Acolyte, Auroran's Thunder, Spinner, maybe Spell Strategist. Body sets: Bright Throat's, Amber Plasm, Shacklebreaker. I'd actually recommend Amber Plasm, unless you want to use Restoring Focus for stamina sustain (break free / dodge rolls).

Back bar set: Blessing of Potentates (1H+S or resto) or vMA resto. You could also back bar Lich. This would allow you to wear 2x Potentates jewelry, which is then active on both bars.

1H+S is tankier, but resto plays better for attack as you cast, for example, Light Attack -> Degeneration from a distance, then bar swap and move in with, say, Toppling Charge, having activated your back bar enchant. Back barring Spell Strategist is another option you could use.

Monster sets: I'd recommend two resistance pieces for starters, such as 1x Pirate, 1x Chudan. Bloodspawn would give you some extra stam sustain, but for tankiness it's hit and miss, while Crescent Sweep is so cheap you hardly need the ulti gen. Troll King: I'd prefer the two resistance pieces on templar. Skoria is an option as is Grothdarr or even Zaan. To make Zaan work, though, you might want some Swift jewelry or at least be prepared to spam Toppling Charge.

Cyrodiil's Light is a nifty set, but getting the most out of it is build-specific. While it helps you stay on attack, it's not really a defensive set unless you run the Phalanx build, an old build that uses Meditate for sustain and Mist Form for defense. While Cyro's Light is active on Sweeps and Radiant, the key idea behind that build was that it's also active during Meditate and Mist and that people would interrupt your Meditate, which would allow you to cast something expensive (Mist) for free afterwards.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB