The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Snowy Nord Theme

kaffeend
kaffeend
✭✭
Not being sure where this would be best suited, I hope Housing is an appropriate place for suggestions, for I have many.

I've always played TES games as a Nord, I don't know why. The problem for me is the seeming lack of Nord themed homes available. I know there are some, and I own some, but none (apart from Hakkvild's High Hall) satisfy my desire to play as a Nord who loves the cold. In Skyrim (TES V) I modded my game so that I'd had a modest little hunter's camp of a home. The way I see it, Nords live by and off of the sea. They are a seafaring people, and their diet should reflect that. As should their homes. As a Nord, I love the Skaal, and I'm so glad that I was able to complete the Skaal outfit styles which further allow me to roleplay as my chosen race. Unfortunately I still feel rather homeless, as my main home is in Windhelm and the larger home, nice as it is, is in Caglorn.

So what I'm suggesting is simply for a home to be designed around the idea that Nords who would like to hunt horkers for their meat and pelts can live close to the shore, and thus have easy access. I also like ancient Nordic ruins, and think there should be a barrow or decrepit temple atop the snow-covered mountains/cliffs which fringe the sea. Access to the home would go through the ruins and down through some icy tunnel to the cave at sea level.

I'm including a few images so everyone can get a better sense of where I'm coming from.

xmo5yrgjyk3z.jpg
r67x1p8ael83.bmp
e4a1yslgut8t.png
pe612xyf5xq0.png
pmkzqzthj8fb.png

So am I alone in this, or is this something other players would like to see implemented during the next year as part of Greymoor? I'm prepared to build on this idea if ZOS need a proof-of-concept. I made a terrain in World Machine which I can bring into UE4 to showcase, and I'm sure o find some inexpensive 2d placeholder art with which to dress it, but I'm also gearing up for a multi-month bicycle tour of Australia, as I leave in a few weeks. Anything I do will be before I leave (doubtful) or once I get established in my new home (Tasmania, not Tamriel).
  • Anska
    Anska
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to have a small, cozy home in the swamps of Hjaalmarch with a splendid view of Solitude and the Sea of Ghosts. Close enough to the shore for fishing and deep enough in the swamp for comfortably picking herbs. A pen for some chickens and a small stable for a horse and a goat would be nice - and maybe a small patch of garden to plant a few (decorative) herbs and vegetables.

So, no - I don't think you are alone in this. Basically, Windstad Manor in its most modest form (the small house) with the garden and animal pen would be perfect for me. =)
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like a Nord home, in a snowy place, by the sea, too.

Although, I would leave the Horkers alone, personally and would prefer a more traditional house, or maybe a large converted Nordic lighthouse, with rooms on different levels in the tower. :smile:

• kaffeend
    kaffeend
    ✭✭
    I wonder if, in general, those of us who like to play as Nords also like the simple life? To my mind the archetypal "Nord" is best expressed as a "barbarian". Living off the land and using brute force over subtlety and cunning. "Eat, drink and make merry, for tomorrow we go to Sovngarde!"

The in-game description of the Barbarian class from TES III - Morrowind sums it up beautifully:
    "Barbarians are the proud, savage warrior elite of the plains nomads, mountain tribes, and sea reavers. They tend to be brutal and direct, lacking civilized graces, but they glory in heroic feats, and excel in fierce, frenzied single combat."
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much as I'd love the idea of more frosty/snowy homes I'd prefer they add more items that can fit in them that aren't crown only.
    Like trees and bushes for starters.