Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Update Ring of Mara

Lunaugh
Lunaugh
✭✭✭
Greetings fellow Gamers,
My wife and I frequently quest together; we have 7 paired characters, two of whom have made the pledge of Mara.
When we first began ESO it seemed neat, and we both recoeved free Mara pledges for our initial purchase; once we started to hit lvl 24, we found ourselves strugling over the benifit of the Ring of Mara. Do we keep our wedding ring on for bonus exp, or do we utilize the slot for set bonus rings that enhance our dps/survivability?

From the get go we had plans to get a pledge for each pairing.... by the time we started the third pair we had decided it was not worth the crowns.
I think the rings of Mara need to be revamped.
I have various ideas on potential solutions:

A visual effect that is visible to other players which declares the two love-birds an item.
-A additional bonus to gold drops
-an increas to the exp gain based on how long the characters have been married
-minor mending whenever a partner is healed
-generate ultimate whenever a partner is healed

I mean to suggest implemtation of only one of the above ideas.
dataOutput ={ }
function: ConvertMagica (dataOutput, magicaInput, skill,fn)
>>> if skill then do
>>>>>> magicaInput = fn(skill)
>>>>>>table.insert(dataOutput, magicaInput)
>>>end
end
  • Talwyn_Aureliano
    Talwyn_Aureliano
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with this post in that the RoM is hardly worth it. Sire it gives you a nice little graphic but the 10% buff on EXP earned at the expense of a more useful ring means that it's hardly ever used.

I think like something like the minor mending or something along those lines would be a good addition to it. Maybe small buff to health as a permanent buff as well?
  • JoffyToffy69
    JoffyToffy69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or just make it a permanent buff without needing to equip the ring
    Fun comes from diversity, balance kills diversity.
    Former Empress Serabii
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely agree with this. Once you get to higher levels you don't want a ring taking up an important slot. The ring should apply the buff as long as it's in your inventory, or even better, a permanent buff on the characters that marry.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Lunaugh
    Lunaugh
    ✭✭✭
    From an RP perspective, I am not sure why the rings have to be worn for the bonus... Taking off one’s wedding-band does not alter ones married state.
    A permanent buff would make more sense, keeping with the check/balance of only being effective when the two are in party.

Might be nice to have different options of weddings, ranging from free to 400,000 gold. Player house wedding party anyone?
    Edited by Lunaugh on February 25, 2018 4:03PM
    dataOutput ={ }
    >>> if skill then do
    >>>end
    end
  • WhiteNoiseMaker
    WhiteNoiseMaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If a permanent buff is too much of a headache for the devs to code, why not make it a Collectible/Momento that acts like the seasonal events bonus XP drinks/foods/activated item? You log-in, remember to rub your Ring of Mara and get X hours of 10% bonus... no real extra work needed. Hell if they gave it a spiffy new FX and animation, I bet it could be more popular as a Crown store item....
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has been sitting in my bank since early 2014... :'( If the perk was better perhaps someone would marry me!
    PC EU & NA
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a permanent buff is too much of a headache for the devs to code, why not make it a Collectible/Momento that acts like the seasonal events bonus XP drinks/foods/activated item?

Because, as the OP pointed out, it's an opportunity cost.

You can either have an experience boost equal to an additional Epic piece of training gear, or you can have another gear set bonus. If you're already leveling in improved training gear and you have a leveling partner, you're probably going to go with the Mara ring, as it will remain constant no matter how many levels you plow through.

I've never called the Mara ritual a marriage or even a civil ceremony because there's no registrar or legal witness. So I don't see the pledge or rings as anything more than a roleplay convenience item that is working as intended in its current state.
    signing off
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have the original Rings of Mara from the first week the game came out, never worn it, never used it. I could not see myself giving up a jewelry slot for this.

Why not just make it a Collectible Accessory? Use up one of the several slots we have, or create a new one. I could give up a facial accessory for this use.

Heck, here is an idea, use the Wedding Dress and Wedding Suit for this, special version of course. Then the "couple" has to wear the costumes to get the bonus. Or, maybe not Wedding Clothes, but more like, Honeymoon Clothes.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Lunaugh
    Lunaugh
    ✭✭✭
    threadNecromancer = function (oldThread)
    --->do revive (oldThread)
    --->end
    end

threadNecromancer (Update Ring of Mara)

Another idea would be to incorporate a second marriage format with greater benefits (one that is between @ names instead of individual characters)
    I'd spend $50.00 in the crown store for a joint bank account with my wife or some outward signal (a graphic visable by other players that would function the way a wedding band does IRL; a visual "I'm spoken for" flag).
    Maybe I'm made of too much cheese, but me and the madam get a kick out of that sort of thing.
    dataOutput ={ }
    >>> if skill then do
    >>>end
    end
  • snowsong
    snowsong
    ✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    If a permanent buff is too much of a headache for the devs to code, why not make it a Collectible/Momento that acts like the seasonal events bonus XP drinks/foods/activated item?

Because, as the OP pointed out, it's an opportunity cost.

You can either have an experience boost equal to an additional Epic piece of training gear, or you can have another gear set bonus. If you're already leveling in improved training gear and you have a leveling partner, you're probably going to go with the Mara ring, as it will remain constant no matter how many levels you plow through.

I've never called the Mara ritual a marriage or even a civil ceremony because there's no registrar or legal witness. So I don't see the pledge or rings as anything more than a roleplay convenience item that is working as intended in its current state.

Yes, I agree with many of you so far. Here is one simple solution: The Ring of Mara should have it's own ring slot & not take up one of the other two existing ring slots, so that the ring continues to give added value to your game as you level up, without detracting from your ability to experiment with other jewelry sets. :-)
    Edited by snowsong on May 17, 2018 3:31AM
    STORM-CATS =^..^=GUILD
    http://storm-cats.weebly.com/
    [Snowsong is using ROG G752VS on NA server.]
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah probably just this. The last two points on your list would be too easily OP in PvP, given how some classes already get insnane ult gen. Can you imagine the rate of incap strikes or warden ult gen?
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the memento idea
  • Lunaugh
    Lunaugh
    ✭✭✭
    Since Jewelry crafting is coming out, maybe part of being married would provide access to crafting Mara Set Jewelry pieces, so we can have an "amulate of Mara' and the rings.
    Not sure how you'd change the effect, but my primary goal here is to add more fun to being 'married' in game.
    dataOutput ={ }
    >>> if skill then do
    >>>end
    end
  • tspecherb14_ESO
    tspecherb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Memento buff like the xp from pies/cakes. (just tried ring on an alt, definitely could use an update)
  • ck37090
    ck37090
    ✭✭✭✭
    why not just have it mimic the other ring you wear on top of the inherent 10% xp buff...it would make it viable with all sets and make it very worthwhile to use
  • snowsong
    snowsong
    ✭✭✭
    LadyAstrum wrote: »

Definitely agree with this. Once you get to higher levels you don't want a ring taking up an important slot. The ring should apply the buff as long as it's in your inventory, or even better, a permanent buff on the characters that marry.

I think they could just add a special additional 3rd ring slot for the Ring of Mara only. People have to leave it empty if they are not married, and can use it by marrying if they so choose. That way there is no conflict with set item rings. Problem solved! :-) Otherwise, they could make it an Amulet of Mara instead & give an extra Amulet slot for it. Similar idea. Whatever is easier for them to implement.
    Edited by snowsong on January 17, 2020 8:27AM
    STORM-CATS =^..^=GUILD
    http://storm-cats.weebly.com/
    [Snowsong is using ROG G752VS on NA server.]
  • TigressCreed
    TigressCreed
    ✭✭✭
    I think the 3rd slot only for the ring would be great otherwise were missing out on the set bonuses
    Xbox NA TigressCreed
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I should just toss out those Mara scrolls I have from a couple years back.
  • ArcVelarian
    ArcVelarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This, soooo much this.
    Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kiyakotari wrote: »
    Yeah, I should just toss out those Mara scrolls I have from a couple years back.

You're right. I'm going to do this as soon as I log in later.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No