The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

How is mage necro now?

rager82b14_ESO
rager82b14_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
I want to play necro, but when I tried the pets did very little damage and it felt pretty weak. Did they ever fix them?
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They’re fabulous.
    Options
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s pretty strong. Just below MagDK. Still quite buggy though, with Blastbones and Siphon being unreliable.
    Options
  • MizoreReyes
    MizoreReyes
    ✭✭✭
    A couple patches ago, ZoS buffed them by reducing the cost of summons which greatly helped them with their sustain and now they can focus a little more on defence or damage. Before this buff, there were some that used the Harmony Bomb build which was great even at that time they were considered the lowest tier in PVP. In PVE, the class can struggle as rotations can be ruined by unreliable skills like blastbone's tracking, and by how fixed siphon can be in real fights.

Like all magicka classes, they're naturally great for group play. For solo play PVP, they use vampire drain, or anything with a clunky animation stun on the enemy and use a harmony bomb build to melt their HPs with very little time to react once Graveyard AOE Synergy is under them. Note: For the Greymoor DLC/Expansion they'll be changing up vampire drain to stun at the end, so we don't know how effective this combo will be unless we get news from a PTS player.

Colossus ulti is one of the best ultis in the game for both PVE, and PVP because of the unique debuff they put on the target. They're not that great for solo play PVP but they remain naturally tanky in both PVE, & PVP.

Also, they're not bad for a healer as they are the only class with access to an instant revive but still fall in comparison to warden, sorceress, and templar healing output. Their burst heal is one of the strongest in the game and they have situational aoe heals.

So to answer your question, pet damage still sucks (mage has trash damage, ghost only heals, & blastbones is unreliable) and they nerfed the skeletal mage's damage when they reduced the cost of summons after the DoT Era. Overall still a great class in other fields.
    Options
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new blastbones does not run anymore, but leaps straigth at a target now on PTS.
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
    Options
  • Perashim
    Perashim
    ✭✭✭
    It's fun, but there are a few issues with the class that the devs appear to be addressing (corpse issues, Blastbones problems, etc).

Personally instead of Blastbones I'd rather have a melee skeleton or a zombie, but I'm happy that they're at least fixing the issue with bomber bones.
    Despair for the Living...
    Options
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made one and it’s my favorite class right now. The pets are weak but in PvE the pets are like free dps even if they suck. In PvP, the ghost and blastbones are mostly used. The skeleton archer/arcanist does too little damage and is mostly just a meat shield if used.

That being said it can be extremely fun to play and I’ve heard great things coming from the PTS about Necros now.
    Options