The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Race change for new Chapter?

ian31416
ian31416
✭✭
Hi everyone,
My main (and only) is a Khajiit Magblade, and I really enjoyed playing that character in her homeland of Elsweyr in the last chapter. Since seeing the trailer for the Dark Heart of Skyrim, I've been toying with the idea of changing race to this time play a Nord in Skyrim. Particularly as the main character in the trailer could be my alter-ego – he has a longer beard and looks younger, but role-playing…

I know that Nord is not the best race for Nightblade. And I would probably change to a Stamblade (my main used to be Stamblade until I switched, and I still have all the Skill Trees maxed out, I'd just have to switch some skill points). I only play solo PvE, and with CP530 I think I should be able to cope with the content.

(Before the Gankers, Elitists, and Purists comment – don't waste your time, I'm not going to change the way I play to please you. And as long as Bethesda don't want my money enough do a solo Story Mode in their Dungeon DLCs, I respect their commercial decision.)

Of course the Dark Heart story may not bother at all about race. What will almost certainly matter will be normal/vampire/werewolf. I've never played vampire or werewolf in ESO (though I did in TES 5 Skyrim), but it might be useful to get those skill-lines levelled in advance(?)

Any comments or advice?
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Changing the race of character means you have to buy a token with Crowns (IRL money involved).
    It's your money - you may spend it as you see fit.

Making your magblade into a vampire could be an interesting move.
    You may also create a second Nord character, with same or different class.

Back at the moment of Murkmire release, I played Dark elf, and discussed with another player that was Argonian, we compared NPC feedback and he had a few different lines.

Keep in mind that from RP point of view, whatever your origin, you are a traveller that left home long ago.
    It won't change the main story - just a few NPC reactions around.
  • ian31416
    ian31416
    ✭✭
    I still have the 3 race change tokens we got free, so I can not only change, but change back if I want to, without spending real money.

Don't want to create a new character - the thought of having to grind all those skill points horrifies me.

Your last two points are well made - food for thought.

Thanks
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget; if you do NOT have the any race/any alliance option, switching your khajiit to nord won't be possible. Khajiiti are Aldmeri Dominion, Nords are Ebonheart Pact.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have Any Race, Any Alliance already I can't see any downsides, since you have the race change tokens and you're not worried about min-maxing. But I think any benefits would be minimal at best - most likely a few lines of dialogue will be slightly different, but unless you play the chapter on both a nord and a non-nord character you may not even notice the difference.

And if you don't have Any Race, Any Alliance then having to pay 2,000 crowns to get it would be a definite downside. (As @JKorr said you have to have it to change a khajiit into a nord, without it you can only change to other races in the same alliance.)

Personally I wouldn't do it, but then I can't think of a reason I would race-change one of my characters because I like coming up with backstories and personalities for them and of course their race affects that.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • ian31416
    ian31416
    ✭✭
    I don't actually have Any Race, Any Alliance now. But I think there was some event or free offer, because I do have a Nord alt (still at level 1) which I must have created when I got the chance (and now gives me the option to switch other characters).

The concensus does seem to be that I woudn't notice any story differnces though.