The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I hear animation canceling is RIP

Unfadingsilence
Unfadingsilence
✭✭✭✭✭
So I been playing on the PTS these last few days and animation canceling still feels pretty good but why are people saying it's a RIP next patch?
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The scrubs found some weird post in Russian and clutched onto it hoping that 10k dps will someday be elite.

NOPE!
    Edited by Stebarnz on January 24, 2020 11:58PM
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GOOD

Hopefully I wont die to the same skill 5x in a second
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I know animation canceling is not RIP but made more appealing looking, so that highend combat looks aesthetically pleasing.

Could be wrong though.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If AC dies my will to play this game will die too. Your call ZOS.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a lot of rumors that just seem to stem from wild interpretations of wrong translations...
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best forum farming thread subject of the week. lol
  • Contaminate
    Contaminate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The changes to block are causing a lot of delay in activating block. Notably bar swapping causes a brief lockout where you are not able to block. There is also a rather common bug that will completely prevent you from activating block, with the only solution being to log out and log back in.

Edit: here’s a thread discussing the issues
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/509367/the-block-changes-should-be-reverted-combat-fluidity-has-been-severely-damaged
    Edited by Contaminate on January 25, 2020 12:52AM
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The changes to block are causing a lot of delay in activating block. Notably bar swapping causes a brief lockout where you are not able to block. There is also a rather common bug that will completely prevent you from activating block, with the only solution being to log out and log back in.

So just a bug and people are losing there mind over it saying animation canceling is over but just a little bug? Heard I'll let everyone know in my guild that they dont need to mail me there mats since all of them wanted to quit after hearing the news
  • Contaminate
    Contaminate
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So just a bug and people are losing there mind over it saying animation canceling is over but just a little bug? Heard I'll let everyone know in my guild that they dont need to mail me there mats since all of them wanted to quit after hearing the news

Activating block after an ability has been cast also delays in actually activating block. You can visually clip the animations, but you won’t be blocking instantly like you would be on live.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not because of the bug. A foreign language interview was conducted and either mistranslated or purposely misconstrued the answers from Rich Lambert. Gina already debunked it and zos asked for corrections to the article from the Russian news source.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rumors probably originated from the interview with Rich.Someone made a thread about it and it got people's hopes up for the removal of animation cancelling.
    The thread is here. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/509515/rich-lambert-announced-a-new-combat-system/p1

Gina ended up posting this in the thread clarifying they were not in fact creating a whole new system. Instead on the PTS they were making the motions to go from casting a skill to blocking more fluid. Not removing animation cancelling itself, but making the whole thing look better.
    Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that although this was a legitimate interview with Rich, some of the initial answers did not represent what was actually said. We reached out to the site to provide clarification, and they have since updated their article with responses that more accurately reflect what Rich had initially conveyed. To be clear, we are not currently planning to create a new combat system for ESO, and Spellcrafting isn’t currently on our future roadmap. As the most recent reply from the article states, our current priority is on game performance. Apologies for the confusion this caused.

PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah dont worry its just false rumors, otherwise my account would be up for sale to the highest bidder already ☺️
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah dont worry its just false rumors, otherwise my account would be up for sale to the highest bidder already ☺️

and I wouldn't say that publicly if I was going to sell an account.
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭

and I wouldn't say that publicly if I was going to sell an account.

If u lost all love for the game like me, u wouldnt care 😉
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GOOD

Literally impossible thanks to the GCD, but okay.
  • Conduit0
    Conduit0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stebarnz wrote: »
    The scrubs found some weird post in Russian and clutched onto it hoping that 10k dps will someday be elite.

NOPE!

Funny thing is even if animation canceling were gotten rid of all the AC complainers would still do subpar DPS compared to others since they refuse to put in the time and effort to learn how to maximize their DPS in the first place.
    GOOD

Well then you should be perfectly happy since it is literally impossible to use more than one skill in a given second already even with animation canceling.
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upside is my mouse buttons' lifespan gets an slight extension if that happens.

Always look on the bright side.
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they get rid of AC. The game will be taken more serious.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

well said,
    all truth.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, a serious case study on how to implode a MMO with 1 change. It will be referenced throughout the gaming world for years to come.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, a serious case study on how to implode a MMO with 1 change. It will be referenced throughout the gaming world for years to come.

Ok, developers what this person is saying is that your combat is so bad, that a glitch is the only thing that makes your combat good. That shows just how skilled at game design you are.

• Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont really understand why people want to keep this bug in the game - i do understand that people want to have an active, engaging and fun combat system in the game that rewards skill - but why not fix and replace animation cancelling into something that is not a bug but an intended feature and achieves the same purpose?
  • The_Old_Goat
    The_Old_Goat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here we go with somebody stirring up the pot again. Hey man, lick that spoon while you're at it.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this patch has a change they made to block canceling, and it allows us to now see clearly the actual animations taking place when people attempt to block cancel.
    i love this change and hope we see more of it.
    it allows us a chance to react to the animations being canceled instead of watching instant flashes that are unable to even recognize what skill was cast.
    with this new block changes taking place it is a step forward in the right direction to cancel animation canceling to the slightest degree, just enough to allow us a fair chance to see the actual animations taking place.
    its a very welcomed change.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ok, developers what this person is saying is that your combat is so bad, that a glitch is the only thing that makes your combat good. That shows just how skilled at game design you are.

Lol. I never said ANY part of the combat is bad. But remove ani-cancel and get stuck in animations while needing to block or dodge and see how frustrating the combat becomes /Smh
    Edited by Siohwenoeht on January 25, 2020 4:39AM
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vietfox wrote: »
    If AC dies my will to play this game will die too. Your call ZOS.

I think zos has demonstrated a a countless times they don't care about people's threats lol.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    this patch has a change they made to block canceling, and it allows us to now see clearly the actual animations taking place when people attempt to block cancel.
    i love this change and hope we see more of it.
    it allows us a chance to react to the animations being canceled instead of watching instant flashes that are unable to even recognize what skill was cast.
    with this new block changes taking place it is a step forward in the right direction to cancel animation canceling to the slightest degree, just enough to allow us a fair chance to see the actual animations taking place.
    its a very welcomed change.

This is what we talk about when we say that this kind of change ruins ESO combat:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/509367/the-block-changes-should-be-reverted-combat-fluidity-has-been-severely-damaged#latest
  • Sorbin
    Sorbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm 100% out if animation cancelling goes. The ability to be fluid and weave your own combos together is what makes this game stand out. If I wanted sluggish combat I'd play FFXIV.
    Edited by Sorbin on January 25, 2020 4:59AM
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We shall not cease from trying to kill skill-based combat and weaving. And the end of our patching will be to have the most effective attack be to spam 'space' for 5 minutes in every combat. And we shall know WoW-ESO for the first time.

Combat in ESO is really good; the problem is that in questing you melt everything with AoE spam and so you don´t need it. And in PvP you have lag etc to contend with. Which of course has little to do with animation cancelling.

This isn´t even a dead horse. It´s mincemeat by now.

Visual changes are fine. Personally I don´t quite see the virtue in it. By large people need to understand that you cannot react to insta-cast. The damage comes before the animation (often), and the animation is actually irrelevant. Get something like combat metrics and watch the live report window - the damage is applied (pretty much) instantly. (That´s how it´s worked so far anyway, I suppose they could make it so the damage is applied after 0.X seconds and you get a dodge/block window but I seriously doubt it´s a good idea).

EDIT: This is the entire idea behind ani cancel - the combat system is responsive and so you don´t have to wait an entire animation before you can use your next attack or skill. The only way it would be a "bug" or "toxic" would be if you could, say, use a cast time skill and then "hide" the animation and damage behind a block. Which you can´t. Some stuff was given a small delay IIRC, but in practice I don´t think it matters much.

Edited by MaleAmazon on January 25, 2020 5:35AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stebarnz wrote: »

NOPE!

Yep. Zos spoke to the publisher of the article and had them correct it, that there is not another new combat system being design. So AC is here to stay.