The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

For the love of Stendarr...

Sailor_Palutena
Sailor_Palutena
✭✭✭✭
So, I usually leave 1-2 characters back in Rivenspire, learning riding skills and picking the two chests nearby. But for the love of Mara, WHY that city is surrounded by lazy annoying NPCs? Seriously, everytime I go to learn the riding skills, comes this angry Redwig Hermat dude and say things such as "What?" "Well...?" "For the Love of Stendarr..." Without I even talk to him or cross his path. He is so mean to me that it angers me and make me go on a killing spree of all killable npcs nearby, especially that stupid Snubshat who is always taking another break and asking me what I mean "that's enough".

rVabcuh.jpg

The worst part is when the guards steal my stolen goods due to some miscalculation of my part, so I kill and steal even more to compensate my losses.
Since I am already here, could someone please telll me what does that Clothier woman Olena Muller says when we steal something in front of her ? There is a line that I never understand what she says. Something ending with "shut that thief!" I can't figure out what she says right before it.

Thanks.
Edited by Sailor_Palutena on January 21, 2020 1:38AM
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is so mean to me that it angers me and make me go on a killing spree

That's... really something right there.
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe relocate into a different city where the people around you don't anger you to a point where you feel compelled to murder everyone? Just a thought. ;)
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• Unseelie
    Unseelie
    ✭✭✭✭
    amapola76 wrote: »

I can relate. I will be going around town minding my own business and checking out the local shoppes and then some guy with a broom will say something rude or accusatory. Hospitality? Is it so hard?
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unseelie wrote: »

I can relate. I will be going around town minding my own business and checking out the local shoppes and then some guy with a broom will say something rude or accusatory. Hospitality? Is it so hard?

Harder than mass murder, evidently.
  • Sailor_Palutena
    Sailor_Palutena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, if it served for anything, I got used to say "for the love of stendarr" instead of "for god's sake". It sounds better.

I got asked who he is, but didn't reply. I don't want to start a white-gold concordat in my house.
    Edited by Sailor_Palutena on January 22, 2020 3:40AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh. I never hear stuff like that in Vivec....
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm Shornhelm is my favourite town! People are always nice to me there, though I have my doubts about Lorbash the armorer, who, despite me restocking him on a daily basis, keeps telling me his "stock isn't what it used to be". :s
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe relocate into a different city where the people around you don't anger you to a point where you feel compelled to murder everyone? Just a thought. ;)

Uh you should see me playing skyrim. Those rude rude guards. I end up murdering the entirety of them just cause they insulted me.

My point is, people are annoying everywhere! So i dont think changing location will help op in the long run.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

Uh you should see me playing skyrim. Those rude rude guards. I end up murdering the entirety of them just cause they insulted me.

My point is, people are annoying everywhere! So i dont think changing location will help op in the long run.

I honestly think this is a you problem.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you may need some anger management, but beyond that yeah it is annoying to be met with the same 3 lines every single time you visit somewhere.

Im not a coder so am not commenting on the technicalities. But it seems to me short audio files are tiny in the grand scheme of things... I do think speech lines from the NPCs should be, should have been, drastically expanded to provide better immersion and variety. 10x the amount of speech from NPCs would be a start.

The same issue for text responses from shops etc. 10x the variety would be a welcome start. There is only so many times I can hear the stable women in Kvatch tell me how much she loves poetry.
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

*lol* Yeah, I know there are people who get triggered by NPC's like that. It's just something that I personally can't understand, because while the ever repeating lines of some NPC's can annoy me ("Can you believe it? Dragons! In your own homeland!") I would never think of murdering them just to shut them up. And not only because they will have respawned anyway when I port back in the next time, but also because... well, they're just some poor NPC's voicing their feelings, it's not their fault the devs didn't make those feelings a bit more... varied.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anger is anger, regardless of the cause.

Killing NPC's in a video game seems like a valid method of anger management to me.

It still might be better to move your characters and do your stables somewhere else. Avoid the trigger.

I moved one of my characters out of Evermore because of that guy who sweeps the steps into the bank. When I first got the blade of woe he died a few times as well.

When I hand in level 1 crafting writs I turn the sound off so I can't hear the patronising comments. And Rolis Hlaalu too. There's a couple of other places like that.
    PC EU
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have most of my characters parked in Vivec and I only get to hear "Switch in 3 2 1! I feel ready for the battlegrounds now!" "Can't wait to see which team I'll be on this time!" now and then. Doesn't annoy me though, good on them for trying to stay in shape!

Mind you, I still do a little murdering but that has nothing to do with my mood over what they say, but has everything to do with the tasty motifs and blueprints they hide in their pockets.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on January 22, 2020 2:18PM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, some cities suffer from this more than others. Don't relocate to Stormhold if this sort of thing triggers you :tongue:

"They say the hist weeps with happiness whenever an argonian hatches. How can a tree weep?"

Every. Damn. Time.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    Yes, some cities suffer from this more than others. Don't relocate to Stormhold if this sort of thing triggers you :tongue:

"They say the hist weeps with happiness whenever an argonian hatches. How can a tree weep?"

Every. Damn. Time.

I kinda like that line. Something about the voice of the guy amuses me :D .
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ("Can you believe it? Dragons! In your own homeland!")

True story, the first time I heard that bit of dialogue, I was distracted by something else in the next room and it sounded like "Rabbits! In your own homeland!... and so now I always think of that when I hear it and it makes me giggle.

Now, if we're talking about Stuga... I still don't understand the impulse to mass-murder NPCs, but I do believe I could be convinced to give her a hearty slap if that were an option.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you think that's bad, someone in Rimmen said "What's that horrible smell?" when I went by. :'(
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    If you think that's bad, someone in Rimmen said "What's that horrible smell?" when I went by. :'(

I remember a line from Witcher 3 that went something like "I heard northern women only bathe every three months... do you think that's true?"

I mean, hygiene standards were quite different in the middle ages. Maybe in Tamriel, too? It's an alternate universe, but it does seem medieval-ish, so... what I'm trying to say is, they probably didn't mean you, because more or less everybody in Tamriel stinks. Pretty sure ;)

• Sailor_Palutena
    Sailor_Palutena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muizer wrote: »
    Hmm Shornhelm is my favourite town! People are always nice to me there, though I have my doubts about Lorbash the armorer, who, despite me restocking him on a daily basis, keeps telling me his "stock isn't what it used to be". :s
    I was going to type Shornhelm on first post, but had Rivenspire in mind. Yes it is my favorite city too as in everything important is nearby: Stables, armory, shrine, bank, thieves hideout, writs delivery and 2 locked chests.

I bought Ravenhurst because it is the nearest house to it, plus its a very nice two-story house, cheap, in front of a calm city (just a door from it) plus a backyard. I wanted one inside Shornhelm, but I'm fine with Ravenhurst.

Oh and don't believe in the stories that the ravens flying by are the spirits of old owners. This is absurd.
  • Sailor_Palutena
    Sailor_Palutena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Killing NPC's in a video game seems like a valid method of anger management to me.
    It still might be better to move your characters and do your stables somewhere else. Avoid the trigger.

I play Saints Row the Third for an hour or so when I'm angry after arguing with people in real life. It is like a therapy.
  • The_Old_Goat
    The_Old_Goat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "When you go through life as a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor npcs
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • Na0cho
    Na0cho
    ✭✭✭
    My dude. Every time I hear “do you know how long I’ve been looking for you” I want to burn daggerfall down.

Almost as bad but not quite, “the wood elf known as finedrin(sp).....

Just let the hate flow through you, and give those npc’s what’s coming to em.
  • Na0cho
    Na0cho
    ✭✭✭
    Muizer wrote: »
    I was going to type Shornhelm on first post, but had Rivenspire in mind. Yes it is my favorite city too as in everything important is nearby: Stables, armory, shrine, bank, thieves hideout, writs delivery and 2 locked chests.

I bought Ravenhurst because it is the nearest house to it, plus its a very nice two-story house, cheap, in front of a calm city (just a door from it) plus a backyard. I wanted one inside Shornhelm, but I'm fine with Ravenhurst.

Oh and don't believe in the stories that the ravens flying by are the spirits of old owners. This is absurd.

Rivenspire is one of my fav areas too. Shornhelm like you said has most things in one spot.

Only town that’s better imo is rawl ka. And there’s a house right in that city.
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play Saints Row the Third for an hour or so when I'm angry after arguing with people in real life. It is like a therapy.

So true. I don't ever take anger out on NPCs neither in ESO nor anywhere else, because, well... they don't deserve it for just being annoying, IMO, but there is honestly nothing better than playing Saints Row (4 for me, though) when you're angry. Clobbering aliens to death with a double ender? Pure gold. That awesome Dubstep gun, too. It really is therapeutic - and much more healthy than keeping that anger in.

• Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ("Can you believe it? Dragons! In your own homeland!")

True story, the first time I heard that bit of dialogue, I was distracted by something else in the next room and it sounded like "Rabbits! In your own homeland!... and so now I always think of that when I hear it and it makes me giggle.

Now, if we're talking about Stuga... I still don't understand the impulse to mass-murder NPCs, but I do believe I could be convinced to give her a hearty slap if that were an option.

"Do you know how long i've been looking for you?"

Yes! I do! For as long as you have chosen to become a stalking psychopath!
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing I miss the most from TES III is the ability to goad the guards into attacking. Good times.
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i usually go on murder sprees on my evil toon just for the fun of it. :innocent:

added bonus if the npcs are annoying. :naughty:
    PC EU
  • Jenzi
    Jenzi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Npcs that repeat the same thing over and over again are annoying as hell. It’s the reason I moved from Elden Root even though I love it there.

I also especially hate when an npc is rude to you for no reason and you can’t reply, or give them a good stabbing.

Move to Vivec, it is by far the easiest and fastest crafting circle, no door bank, close horse trainer and no annoying npcs.
    Edited by Jenzi on January 25, 2020 12:00AM
  • Saelent
    Saelent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing I miss the most from TES III is the ability to goad the guards into attacking. Good times.

You still can, throw a mud ball at a guard and you get a 5 gold bounty, refuse to pay it and they’ll try to kill you for it.
    Police brutality!