The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Physical and Magic Resistance - What do The Numbers Mean?

Treemagnet
Treemagnet
✭✭✭
If my player has a physical (weapon) resistance of 20,000 what does this number mean? How about 10,000? Since you take damage whenever you are hit how does this number come into play?
Is it that you take less damage the higher the number? If so, at what rate?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a lot to Damage Mitigation. Resistances are just part of the equation.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-updated-15-07-2019/p1

Resistance is explained in detail in that thread
    Edited by Nestor on January 18, 2020 6:39PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Hexvaldr
    Hexvaldr
    ✭✭✭
    The short answer is that for a cp 160+ character, you divide the resistance number by 660 to find the percentage value. So 20000 gives 30% mitigation and the cap of 33000 gives 50% damage mitigation. The entire process of mitigation is more complex than this, and this awesome dude Paul Simon has tons of goodies in his threads on the subject. But the 660 value is an easy way to translate the values into percentages. Some add-ons like Bandits do it automatically.
  • Hexvaldr
    Hexvaldr
    ✭✭✭
    And the higher the number, the less damage you take from each and any hit.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azmarul wrote: »
    The short answer is that for a cp 160+ character, you divide the resistance number by 660 to find the percentage value. So 20000 gives 30% mitigation and the cap of 33000 gives 50% damage mitigation. The entire process of mitigation is more complex than this, and this awesome dude Paul Simon has tons of goodies in his threads on the subject. But the 660 value is an easy way to translate the values into percentages. Some add-ons like Bandits do it automatically.

So yes, 33k physical resist means you take only 50% of the damage from skills that deal poison, disease or physical damage. 33k spell resist reduced damage from flame, magic, frost or shock damage by 50%.

But, keep in mind, this can be lowered by a debuffs or effectively lowered by penetration. For example, a boss in a dungeon or more frequently someone in pvp, can debuffs you with major fracture. This will reduce your physical resist by 5k or so. So that now comes off your resistances. Turning your 33k into 28k.

In PvP, players will run penetration in their build. Be that from armor, mundus stone or champion points. But, to keep it easy, let's say I'm running 4 k from cp, 4 k from mundus and 3.5k from my sets. This is easy to reach. Add in that to the major fracture I've put on you, and I'm now ignoring 16.5k of your physical resistances.

It's not this clear cut, but your 33k physical resist (offering 50% less reduction to my physical, poison and disease damage) is now effectively 16.5k (so only offering 25% damage reduction).

So while 33k is the cap in pve, in PvP there is no cap so to speak, as your resistances can either directly or indirectly be reduced.

Magica builds can get that number even easier as wearing 5 bits of light armor grants you 5k penetration, effectively ignoring 5k of an opponent's spell resistance. But the debuff (major breach) is harder to obtain than major fracture iirc.

Any armor set that adds "armor" basically means it adds that value to both physical and spell resist.

It's not that cut and dry as you also have other factors that reduce damage like champion points and flat mitigation sets (that offer % reductions). But it's sort of how it works.

In short, the higher either is, the less damage you take from either source of damage.
    Edited by Brrrofski on January 18, 2020 7:21PM
  • Treemagnet
    Treemagnet
    ✭✭✭
    THANKS, all!
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody might have mentioned (didn’t see it), that 50% mitigation is the max you get from resistances. So if you have 33k it’s 50% and if you have 60k it’s 50%.

The only value is in pvp going higher can off set the oponents’ penetration.
  • Tycleton
    Tycleton
    ✭✭✭

So if I understand correctly... even in PVP 50% mitigation is max, but if I follow the logic using the 60K example... if my attacker has the ability to reduce my total down to 33K, I still get 50%? Or if they can reduce my 60K down to 16.5K, I get 25%?

Is that the gist of it? So it's worth aiming high in PVP?
    Edited by Tycleton on January 24, 2020 8:34PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get to 60K resist, you would not be doing any damage. Not sure if you could get to 60K now that i think about it.

It would be a very boring build.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tycleton wrote: »

So if I understand correctly... even in PVP 50% mitigation is max, but if I follow the logic using the 60K example... if my attacker has the ability to reduce my total down to 33K, I still get 50%? Or if they can reduce my 60K down to 16.5K, I get 25%?

Is that the gist of it? So it's worth aiming high in PVP?

Yeah. They have a stat called penetration, which subtracts from your resistance. But if they can’t get you below 33k then you still get the 50%.