The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What precautions should I take before installing win 10

finger88
finger88
✭✭
Hey guys I'm still running on win 7 but am going to win 10 next month. So I'm just wondering if there are any "must do" things before I switch over to make sure all my stuff is still there. I plan on wiping the hd while I'm at it. Only been playing on pc for about 2 months now since my PS4 blew up after 2 years of grinding. Thanks for any ''heads up'' and suggestions..
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None I can think of. I have been running Windows 10 since launch. It's very easy to change from Win 7 to Win 10.

Microsoft has an update site which still works....which means you can upgrade or install Windows 10 for free.

One thing I suggest AFTER installation is to uninstall all the bloatware installed by Windows 10. There is a ton of it.

I use CCleaner (free version) to uninstall all the bloatware.
  • mikikatze
    mikikatze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hm, I didn't do anything except telling the upgrader (Microsoft Media Creation Tool) to keep all my adds, files and setting. That was one click only, and everything worked fine.

The process took a while, around an hour until I could select to keep everything and then some hours over night where I didn't have to do anything but wait. The upgrade was free.

I would clean up the system AFTER the upgrade.
    Edited by mikikatze on January 18, 2020 3:13PM
  • tonne.backlinderb16_ESO
    Why not buy a new HD and install W10 on that one?
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing a wipe on HD is good move. Make sure it is a full reformat. download all windows 10 drivers you need for video card etc. before you reformat HD. Make sure your video card supports windows 10 (in off chance it is older card and cannot support direct X 11/12)
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    istall manjaro on another ssd first. install steam. activate steam play. install eso from steam via steam play on manjaro linux.

Play that for a while and see if it isnt the better option to installing windows 10.

then you can use 1 core on your pc for a virtual box and use your windows 7 install on you hdd/ssd in virtualbox using their pass through so you can use tamriel trade center once a day to d/l the latest price l;istings and for anything you might need windows for (tax software?)

talk to me when you're ready and i can walk you through it

I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Step 1: check computer manufacturer and ensure windows 10 drivers exist for your hardware. Not all computers are supported and with 1903 Microsoft dropped support for some Intel and AMD CPU that lack certain instruction sets.

2. Ensure drivers for windows 10 exist for your sound, video card, chipset, usb controller, and network controller.

Run upgrade through the Windows 10.upgrade assistant that will check your hardware against Microsofts online database for compatibility.

It's not just a given that windows 10 will run on any windows 7 machine. In the last 6 months I have had 8 laptops from different OEM that upon installing windows 10 they boot to a flashing screen because there is no win 10 Intel graphic drivers for those laptops, and Intel pulled most of their old graphic drivers due to security holes in them.

Just back up all your important stuff, run the windows 10 compatibility assistant, and proceed if it says your ok

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

That link will give you the option to upgrade your computer, run it and let it go to the compatibility check, if it says your ok you should be safe to proceed. Good luck
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• finger88
    finger88
    ✭✭
    Thx for the great suggestions. I"m liking the idea of buying a new ssd for the os and just leaving the old hd there instead of wiping everything
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All currently released hardware of the last 15 years should be supported by the current release of windows 10. If your hardware is older than that consider doing as others have said and confirming compatibility first(win10 installer will also tell you).

Most of the teathing issues with windows 10 will be interface issues. It's different enough to be jarring at first and if you are a power user it's annoying. Otherwise, you'll most likely prefer windows 10 to 7 after you get used to it.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was really easy back when I did it. Everything runs much better on my Win10 Pro.
  • finger88
    finger88
    ✭✭
    So if I do wipe everything are there any folders on my hd I should be saving?
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    finger88 wrote: »
    So if I do wipe everything are there any folders on my hd I should be saving?

Anything documents and if your games use appdata(users) for saves that as well.

Also, you can copy your steam game folder to the new install if you don't want to download everything again.
  • Flameweaver1951
    Flameweaver1951
    ✭✭✭
    Any folders that have your personal stuff in. For example, documents, music & photos etc.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All good suggestions above. I did not have any problems with any of my Win 7 to Win 10 migrations, though. The main problem I have had is that Windows 10 just does not do the same things in the same way, so it can be a step backwards until those are resolved or adjusted to.

I still have a couple running Windows 7, and no intention of upgrading them to Windows 10.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Windows 10 LTSB Version 1607, best version ever, bloatware, edge and cortana free.

but you need a volume license to buy it.

Clean install is the way to go with Windows 10
    Edited by Chicharron on January 18, 2020 4:53PM
  • Phoebe
    Phoebe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lady_Linux wrote: »
    then you can use 1 core on your pc for a virtual box and use your windows 7 install on you hdd/ssd in virtualbox using their pass through so you can use tamriel trade center once a day to d/l the latest price l;istings and for anything you might need windows for (tax software?)

Even if he/she switched to linux, they shouldn't keep windows 7 on any device connected to the internet, not even a VM. It's an open door now, you can get all kinds of nasty stuff - sometimes stuff that won't even bother you, but may cause security problems for others.

Unless you really know what you are doing you shouldn't use Windows 7 for anything that requires internet, even my partner who is an pro IT network guy told me to switch my old windows 7 laptop to 10 within the next weeks (still haven't done yet but it's planned for this month, I'm also buying a new SSD since my old is too small) for security reasons.