Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Thu'um skillline (Possible spoilers ahead )

kaisernick
kaisernick
✭✭✭✭✭
Since its possible that we may be going to skyrim next dlc/exp im curious if we may get a new skill line like psigic but inseatd the Thu'um.
Now learning to use the power isnt something that makes someone dragonborn as Ulfric learned and while it does seem uncommon so is psijic magic and a lot of other abilties we use (gameplay trumps lore most days)
So im wondering if we may get to learn to use some shouts in the future.
What do you think, do you like the idea?
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's my guess as well, that the next chapter will be Skyrim and will involve the Greybeards, with the Thu'um as new skill line.

• RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there are some special things that will remain unique to TES:V, and won't ever appear in ESO. This includes Paarthunax and the Greybeards, the actual Snow Elves, Nightingales, named Volkihar vampires and vampire lords. I'd also be surprised if we ever go to Solstheim again.

We'll see.
    PC EU
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are people defining Skyrim? As far as I can see there are great big chunks of Skyrim already in the game.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pdblake wrote: »
    How are people defining Skyrim? As far as I can see there are great big chunks of Skyrim already in the game.

And half of it isn't? We're still short places like The Pale (Winterhold and before it was destroyed, I'd love to see that place), Solitude, Markath and Dawnstar. When people say Skyrim my guess is that the mean the zones, cities and holds that are currently not in the game.

Back to the issue, I'd prefer not to have that skill line and have them do something else with a Skyrim expansion. Like dive in to the mythical history of the Winterhold College (it was supposedly founded by Shaildor in the First Era and I'd love to see Shally again) or the Bard's College in Solitude (definitely from the First Era) and include a bard class instead. The Shouts are already overdone (Skyrim was enough of that) and I'd rather it was not trotted out, it'd feel trite, boring and uninspired.
    Further my guess is that we won't be seeing anything Skyrim next year but in 2021 for the 10th anniversary of the Skyrim game. 2020? Idk, maybe something Imperial related, or all those parts of Hammerfell they haven't touched yet. More Argonian stuff? Idk, but until proven otherwise I think they'll hold of Skyrim related things for another year.
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And half of it isn't? We're still short places like The Pale (Winterhold and before it was destroyed, I'd love to see that place), Solitude, Markath and Dawnstar. When people say Skyrim my guess is that the mean the zones, cities and holds that are currently not in the game.

Back to the issue, I'd prefer not to have that skill line and have them do something else with a Skyrim expansion. Like dive in to the mythical history of the Winterhold College (it was supposedly founded by Shaildor in the First Era and I'd love to see Shally again) or the Bard's College in Solitude (definitely from the First Era) and include a bard class instead. The Shouts are already overdone (Skyrim was enough of that) and I'd rather it was not trotted out, it'd feel trite, boring and uninspired.
    Further my guess is that we won't be seeing anything Skyrim next year but in 2021 for the 10th anniversary of the Skyrim game. 2020? Idk, maybe something Imperial related, or all those parts of Hammerfell they haven't touched yet. More Argonian stuff? Idk, but until proven otherwise I think they'll hold of Skyrim related things for another year.

Id definatly love to see more of winterhold college as that was the most disapointing thing in skyrim (along with magic in generel) not sure how they would do a bard class but i definatly ould not say no to such a thing but i feel they wont add a new class right after necromancer, maybe a skill line?
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tbh. I think it is more likely we will get Solstheim

- The Bristleneck War Boar pet (the one that every one is tailing about) was originally seen in previous TES games in Solstheim (TES III Bloodmoon Expansion or TES V Dragonborn DLC). Besides, pet has it in its description.
    - There were some rumours recently about upcoming yet another werewolf overhaul. If true, then it may indicate that indeed Solstheim could be next (Solstheim had always something to do with Hircine & man-beasts in every TES game so far). It may also explain why ZOS changed WW so drastically and ignored a lot of feedback - because they may have a plan for it, but they can not say anything till new chapter.
    - Small spoiler - at the end of Dragonhold story, there is a hint about Lyris Titanborn - one of the main base game story nord NPCs and that the next story may have something to do with her (So the new chapter may have something to do with giants).
    - Even if it wont be a chapter, it could be a future Story DLC zone.

Anyway, it is either some part of Skyrim or Solstheim for sure. What I am more interested in, is what will be a new "feature" (aka selling point) of the new content:
    - New class ? (highly doubt it though).
    - New were-crature type / skill line ? ( again highly doubt it though).
    - New weapon skill line - spear & combat staff ?
    - New weapon skill line - sword & spell ?
    - New crafting skill line - spell crafting ?

Just a reminder: With Summerset we got 2 new things - Jewellery Crafting & Psijic Order guild skill line.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took Ulfric around ten years to learn 2 shouts. That's, um, quite the grind.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah people tend to forget that the reason our character in Skyrim could learn shouts so fast is that they are Dragonborn, for everyone else it takes a very long time to learn just one shout. (There's a reason why the Graybeards are the Graybeards people.)

Back to the Bard thing. As I said I don't think we're getting Skyrim next year, so Bard as a class would work with skill line for whatever we're getting next year then class (Bard) in 2021. I know a lot of people think Skyrim next year due to the dragons this year (and the mention of a certain someone in the Dragonhold storyline) but I'm not among them okay. What I wrote is based on the assumption that Skyrim stuff is in 2021.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah people tend to forget that the reason our character in Skyrim could learn shouts so fast is that they are Dragonborn, for everyone else it takes a very long time to learn just one shout. (There's a reason why the Graybeards are the Graybeards people.)

Back to the Bard thing. As I said I don't think we're getting Skyrim next year, so Bard as a class would work with skill line for whatever we're getting next year then class (Bard) in 2021. I know a lot of people think Skyrim next year due to the dragons this year (and the mention of a certain someone in the Dragonhold storyline) but I'm not among them okay. What I wrote is based on the assumption that Skyrim stuff is in 2021.

Agree.

Releasing a Skyrim based chapter or dlcs for the anniversary is too big of an opportunity for ZoS to skip out on if you ask me. It's not that far away. But no matter when it's released, adding a Thu'um skill line just screams blatant fanservice in the worst way possible. We are not dragonborn, learning a shout, a single shout, takes a lot of time and effort.

Hammerfell would be nice, but not very likely since it's going to be TES6 and we have seen no hint for it and ZoS seem to be all about this year long stories that shall be connected now. Which actually has 2 options if we shall go by the things people consider "hints". Because Cyrodiil has been hinted aswell as Skyrim. Sure, Sai talks about Lyris being somewhere which is probably Skyrim, but Tharn also talks about going home to try sort out the chaos there. Then it's the Zero Legion bit and so on. There seem to be just as many hints for Cyrodiil as it is for Skyrim.

It would be kinda fitting to get Oblivion nostaliga first, followed by Skyrim the year after.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This skill line will never happen as our characters are not dragonborns. Thus why they couldn't solo dragons like in Skyrim.

When they revealed the expansion one of the key points they mentioned were how since our chars aren't dragonborns they'll have a way harder time dealing with dragons.

Because they said that exact sentence, for this reason alone I can safely say we will never see a shouting skill line.

And honestly, I hope we never do.

We're way more likely to see some sort of battle mage skill line or an added hunter-group/vampire skill line.
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noxavian wrote: »
    This skill line will never happen as our characters are not dragonborns.
    You dont have to be Dragonborn to use the power Ulfric could do it and was not a dragonborn.
    Yeah people tend to forget that the reason our character in Skyrim could learn shouts so fast is that they are Dragonborn, for everyone else it takes a very long time to learn just one shout. (There's a reason why the Graybeards are the Graybeards people.).
    Again Gameplay trumps lore, our characters did no training with the mages guild or the Psijic order yet we can use abilties from that line and we didn learn to use those abilties over the course of years.

Can people actually read the OP before commenting.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaisernick wrote: »
    You dont have to be Dragonborn to use the power Ulfric could do it and was not a dragonborn.
    Yeah people tend to forget that the reason our character in Skyrim could learn shouts so fast is that they are Dragonborn, for everyone else it takes a very long time to learn just one shout. (There's a reason why the Graybeards are the Graybeards people.).
    Again Gameplay trumps lore, our characters did no training with the mages guild or the Psijic order yet we can use abilties from that line and we didn learn to use those abilties over the course of years.

There's a slim possibility for it to be lore-friendly, but Ulfric is the worst possible reference for it. Ulfric was taught by the Greybeards, who are the most powerful school of the Thu'um, but also the slowest as their teaching method for non-Dragonborn involves seclusion, worship of Kyne and years of meditation. Again, it took Ulfric 10 years to learn Disarm and Unrelenting Force. The Greybeards were also very opposed to using the voice for war, to the point that Tiber Septim had to found his own college in Markarth to teach its usage in war.

That being said, there were other schools of thought for teaching the Thu'um, as we know the Greybeards were supreme but not the only ones who could shout.

So there's a slim possibility that we meet one of those other Tongues, but I would expect non-greybeard teaching to be less of a grind, but substantially weaker than Skyrim's Shouts.

ESO has been willing to work around or in the blanks of the other games, but not to outright contradict them. I really doubt we'll see a Greybeard teaching Shouts quickly and to people who are going to use it for war instead of the worship of Kyne - that would be a direct contradiction of how Skyrim portrays them from their founding.

(We didn't study Psijic Magic for years, but to be frank, my StamWarden is casting Blizzard, a master level destruction spell, every time I use the Permafrost ultimate. Even our stamina characters are surprisingly advanced in magical theory since they can cast everything their magicka counterparts can. So that's hardly unbelievable from a lore/gameplay perspective.)
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think we should throw lore out the window to give people thuum just like that. Next skill line should be a new weapon skill line IMO maybe crossbow.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please no. The Shouts take a lifetime to master, hence the Greybeards and none of them being twenty something Vestiges.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t really want lore thrown out of the window but I do however really want a skyrim dlc one massive zone or 2.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No thank you. Skyrim is a lot more than that. Besides, as people have said, it would make zero sense.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d be fine with it — but I’d limit it to only being able to use one thuum, like there’s be a bunch of shouts but the player would only be able to learn one and only one, character bound of course. But I don’t see it as lore breaking, Ulfric learned to shout, we have what’s his name in the Scalebreaker using a shout. But I’m pretty flexible when it comes to lore.
  • wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think any new skill lines should be a bit more 'universal'. Thuum is a very specific thing that would feel odd if everyone could do it.

Someone mentioned crossbows; now that I could get behind.
  • Kambo
    Kambo
    ✭✭✭
    Very Unlikely.

The Thu'um in the past has traditionally only been available to Tongues, Greybeards, and the Dragonborn(s). Providing it as a skill line would break what has already been established about it, not to mention make it less special of a thing in the lore.
    Straight out of Mo- uh, oh wait. Um... Ebonheart, I guess?
    PC US
    Characters:
    Nathyrin Othrril - Dunmer Stamina Sorcerer
    Niveth Othrril - Dunmer Stamina Dragonknight
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    UESP has "Fungal Crown" Crates listed after Frost Atronach crates.
    So in all likely hood Blackreach is the "Dark Heart" of Skyrim that ZOS is teasing.
    A surface level and an underground level we get to explore that has a story with a focus on a Falmer threat.

For the Love of Mara please no thu'um skill tree
  • waswar292
    waswar292
    ✭✭
    Adding a Thu'um skill tree after Elsweyr squandered the possibility of a monk classline in favor of an oddly designed Necromancer class would probably be one of the worst decisions at any time, ever.

The Thu'um would be an awful idea, not to mention to make it a common skill line would turn the class and its lore into something really comical and cheap. They would have to do something really unique to make it work, and I don't trust the developers to do that after what they did with the Necromancer class.
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But in Skyrim, we could use the Thu’um because we were Dragonborn, which allowed us to learn shouts quickly. As others said, learning dragon tongue takes decades and is why the greybeards are so old. To have everyone be Dragonborn would be ridiculous but if they can find a work around then sure. But I would much rather have a new weapon skill line or two and/or bard college skill line
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we would be far more likely to get a Bard skill tree from Solitude than a Thu'um skill tree.

The Vestige is not Dragonborn. They do not have the ability to absorb dragon souls. Elsweyr made it perfectly clear that there is no known Dragonborn at this time, so we were fighting dragons without that skill.

Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well it took ulfric 10 years to learn even the simplest shout
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is to my knowledge no established lore as to how long it takes to learn rudimentary skills from Mages and Psijics. Like what we get in skill lines is the basic skills of those factions, not the esoteric stuff. There is otoh very much established lore about how long it takes to learn even the simplest shout. So...