The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

ESO jewel crafting research problem

EternalDiva
EternalDiva
✭✭✭
My level 220 chick has never once received a bit of jewelry which can be researched. I thought that was odd but thought maybe it was just rare.

Then today I noted my level 49 chick has 8 rings that can be researched. I thought holy cow. Ill give em to the 220 chick since she is the one Im bringing up to be my main crafter. Put them in the bank. main toon took them out. and not one single one of those rings can be researched. WTH.

Id what setting might be off. the lower toon has never made anything. all she does is collect, break em down so the stuff goes into the crafting bag. The 220 champion has had a heck of a time leveling up jewel crafting. still at level 29. she cant make much and the only way I got her up to 29 was deconstruction/construction/deconstruction. because she still cant make anything and cant research anything. Its mind boggling.

Level 220 chick as ⅗ engraver, ⅔ keen eye. ⅔ jewel extaction, ¾ lapidary research, and ⅔ platings expertise. I've not used any skill points on the level 49.

Im stumped. Why does my 220 never get jewels to research and why do the ones my level 49 can research become unresearchable when given to the higher toon???
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    she know those traits already?
    Edited by karthrag_inak on January 5, 2020 3:05AM
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    she know those traits already?

^This.^

If your CP220 knows those traits already, @EternalDiva, you won't be able to research them "twice". ;)

After that, you might want to post a couple screenshots of your trait knowledge and the pieces you're trying to research ... so we can help.
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    much like how gear has that one "rare trait" (nirnhoned) that you can only get in one place, jewelry crafting has 6 of those. anything beyond arcane, robust, and healthy has to be obtained from a very specific source, some easier than others.

sadly, like motifs, research traits are not shared across characters, so one character might still be able to research something that another character has already researched.
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zulera301 wrote: »
    much like how gear has that one "rare trait" (nirnhoned) that you can only get in one place, jewelry crafting has 6 of those. anything beyond arcane, robust, and healthy has to be obtained from a very specific source, some easier than others.

sadly, like motifs, research traits are not shared across characters, so one character might still be able to research something that another character has already researched.

On top of this, there's the old jewelry from before summerset. These SHOULD let you research, but they CAN'T be salvaged, only sold to npc.

btw, there are jewelry traits that ONLY drop off those shiny nodes that you need to do the psijic quest lines first bit for.
    Some only drop in pvp, or cyrodiil.
    Some only drop in dungeons or trails.

However ALL OF EM can be bought off player sellers somewhere. if your pockets are deep enough. That is how i maxed out mine.
    What are Natch Potes? Can you eat those?
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As others have already pointed out, only Arcane, Robust, and Healthy traits drop from normal gear. To get the remaining 6 traits, you need to either:

1. Do specific content that awards exemplary pieces that are specifically for research;
    2. Purchase research pieces from other players at guild traders or in chat;
    3. Ask a guildmate to craft you a piece for research - they may ask you to supply the trait stone, which depending on the trait, can be quite expensive, or gold as compensation.

Here's a quick rundown of the 6 exclusive traits and how to get them:

Triune - research pieces drop from Cyrodiil daily boxes; trait item (dawn-prism) purchased with AP

Infused - research pieces drop from Psijic portals across Tamriel (need to unlock Psijic skill line to see them); trait item (aurbic amber) also found in Psijic portals

Protective - one research piece of ring/necklace is awarded at end of Psijic questline and main Summerset questline; trait item (titanium) drops from jewelry seams throughout Tamriel, including jewelry surveys

Swift - research pieces are extremely rare drops from daily top-tier jewelry crafting writs; trait item (gilding wax) purchased for 20 writ vouchers

Harmony - research pieces drop from Undaunted coffers; trait item (dibellium) drops from daily random dungeon rewards

Bloodthirsty - research pieces drop from weekly Trial boxes; trait item (slaughterstone) also drops from weekly Trial boxes

ETA: A few tips for raising your JC skill:

1. Farm dragons - after killing 6 dragons for the daily quest (I share with my spouse, so we can do two daily dragon hunts), I usually end up with at least 6 pieces to decon, usually more as some will drop in the daily chests (I also do Dirge's dailies twice daily)
    2. Farm dolmens - guaranteed jewelry drop from dolmen chests - this is probably the fastest way to get jewelry
    3. Daily JC writs - do them on as many characters as possible - feed all intricate/ornate pieces to your main crafter. Put skill points into all characters doing JC daily writs to increase their crafting ranks so that you can get higher-level pieces to decon.

I've leveled all 11 of my characters to level 50 in JC using the above strategies.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on January 6, 2020 7:57PM